Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2022, 04:45 PM   #41
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Challenge accepted. I shall see how many things I can knock off the the list of things to in Cape Breton on a single day trip.

Assuming my temporary license doesn't get in the way of me getting the rental car. At least I found out today it expired two weeks ago. Whew.
Cape Breton is far too nice for a single day, the Cabot Trail itself should be seen over two days to be appreciated, lots of great places to stay with incredible ocean views. The third day should be to the Fortress of Louisbourg and then 30-40 minutes back to Sydney for some local live entertainment and a great home style dinner at the Steel City pub(my personal favorite), it's far from fancy but it has character plus awesome steaks and seafood.

If you only visit the Maritimes once and miss Cape Breton you will regret it
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2022, 04:41 PM   #42
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

So... Halifax and area was fun. Food was surprisingly good but damn that HST hits hard.

We rented a subcompact that was revving into the 5K RPM range on cruise control on slight inclines and pulling an average of 9.3L/100KM. I put in premium and the RPM never went past 3-3.5K again on those same inclines on cruise control and average dropped to 6.3L/100KM. Gas was 1.89-1.91 per liter with premium only 9.5-11.5 cents more per litre. I was saving so much money putting premium into the rental (returned with a full tank of reg though :P). I put 1130KM on the rental only because our Cape Breton idea fell through.

I did PEI/Halifax one day. All in all it was probably around 7.5 hours worth of driving and around 3-4 hours of taking in the sights.

Based on the recommendations of Cape Breton being a trip not completed without a proper tour of Cabot Trail, I had considered trying to just do a short Isle Madame SE leg which should have been around 8-9 hours of driving for 3-4 hours of sights. But... we ran into a food poisoning scare because of Butterfish, so it was decided not to take on such a hefty drive.

https://rosieschwartz.com/2012/12/10...may-thank-you/

I hit Peggy's Cove, Lunenburg, a bunch of coves, PEI ($50.50 in toll), Truro and a ton of sights in Halifax/Dartmouth.

Fun trip. But I don't know how I'd be able to justify going again over other interesting places.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2022, 05:11 PM   #43
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Glad you enjoyed it.

If you (or anyone here) ever come to do Cape Breton proper let me know.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 09:45 AM   #44
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Glad you enjoyed it.

If you (or anyone here) ever come to do Cape Breton proper let me know.
I had accommodations in Halifax for the duration I was there, so it was hard to justify losing a day to spend a night over Cape Breton. I ran the numbers and Halifax/Cabot trail alone was 10:45 ish in driving. Add in Sydney as a stop and it was around 12:35 in driving alone. Doable, but probably not enjoyable. And it should be a place you can just soak in the landscape.

NS was great. I enjoyed my time there. The only way I can see myself going again though might be if I tried to finish off the Provinces I've never been to in Newfoundland and then doing a flight to Sydney and doing Cabot Trail. If I ever do this trip, I'll give you a shout for sure.

Cabot Trail sounds kinda interesting. There's some descriptions that remind me of the Road to Hana. The rest of Cape Breton with different pockets of different cultures sounds neat as well. Too bad I didn't get a chance to get a sneak peek at Isle Madam.
Old 05-11-2022, 10:44 AM   #45
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I had accommodations in Halifax for the duration I was there, so it was hard to justify losing a day to spend a night over Cape Breton. I ran the numbers and Halifax/Cabot trail alone was 10:45 ish in driving. Add in Sydney as a stop and it was around 12:35 in driving alone. Doable, but probably not enjoyable. And it should be a place you can just soak in the landscape.

NS was great. I enjoyed my time there. The only way I can see myself going again though might be if I tried to finish off the Provinces I've never been to in Newfoundland and then doing a flight to Sydney and doing Cabot Trail. If I ever do this trip, I'll give you a shout for sure.

Cabot Trail sounds kinda interesting. There's some descriptions that remind me of the Road to Hana. The rest of Cape Breton with different pockets of different cultures sounds neat as well. Too bad I didn't get a chance to get a sneak peek at Isle Madam.
Oh God, no way you could do it in a day and drive back to stay in Halifax. Simply not possible.

It's a great big world out there. But flying into Sydney is probably the same (give or take, could be a few dollars more expensive, could be a few dollars cheaper) from flying from Calgary.

Air Canada has daily flights from Toronto, Montreal, and Halifax. WestJet has daily flights from Halifax with seasonal flights from Toronto.

You could even take the ferry to Newfoundland depending how you wanted to hook the trip. Ferry's right outside my office, like, right there *points forward and to the left*

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2022, 10:51 AM   #46
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cheap Halifax flights

https://yycdeals.com/calgary-to-hali...-203-roundtrip
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 11:34 AM   #47
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Son of a bench!!!

That's a good price. Others should consider it.