Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2013, 08:58 AM   #61
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
There was a group of fans at the game last night all wearing Oilers jerseys - looked like complete dolts.

Whenever I see that, all I can think is: is this the first time you've been away from home?

Similar thing with Roughrider jerseys at Coyotes games - ok, we get it, you're from Saskatchewan. Now can you please wear something else for one night?
You mean Roughrider jerseys at every sporting event. They are the weeds of the sports world you cannot get rid of. I have seen them at baseball games in Tampa and Seattle
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #62
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Visual manifestation of their inferiority complex.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #63
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coast Flame View Post
The one dude in the Jays jersery sitting in the Kings Court was classic. I laughed every time they showed him.

But yeah, the Oilers yokels looked pretty ridiculous.
There has to be a .gif of that floating around somewhere..
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #64
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had a blast at the game on Monday until some stupid #### in a Jays' jersey got really upset about me calling Rasmus a hillbilly.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #65
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Had a blast at the game on Monday until some stupid #### in a Jays' jersey got really upset about me calling Rasmus a hillbilly.
Hard to imagine someone getting that mad over the truth
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #66
slcrocket
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Ha! Every time Rasmus returned to the dugout, we informed him that he sucked. Just him. He started staring us down before entering the dugout and at one point Jose Bautista looked disappointed in us. Emilio Bonaficio thought it was funny.

Speaking of which, talk about a cool dude (Bonaficio). He chatted with us for a while, gave as good as he got with regards to ribbing, and even threw us some sunflower seeds out of the dugout. He thought it was particularly funny when I said that I couldn't help hating Rasmus, mostly because that mullet belonged in Edmonton and not in Toronto.
slcrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slcrocket For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #67
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
I think as people have mentioned being "Canada's team" and having them forced down our throats by all the media here probably contributes a lot to fans from all over the country.

As well for many people around 35 the Jays teams of the early 90's when they are likely choosing teams were top teams so an easy team to latch on to.

I think that the amount of Jays fans outside of TO in other parts of Canada gets largely over stated. I personally don't get it and hate any time the use of Canada's team is used because it is inaccurate.
I disagree. It obviously isn't "blue jays crazy" in every Canadian city, but certainly there's a noticeable following across Canada. Almost every person I meet in Calgary that follows MLB is a Jays fan.

You see Jays hats all the time when out and about. Hell, last year there was deadly barfight that started over an argument about blue jays pitching in Calgary. Make no mistake, there's plenty of Blue jays support across Canada.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:01 AM   #68
Howie_16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
I disagree. It obviously isn't "blue jays crazy" in every Canadian city, but certainly there's a noticeable following across Canada. Almost every person I meet in Calgary that follows MLB is a Jays fan.
Put me down as a Red Sox fan.

Quote:
You see Jays hats all the time when out and about.
Only recently. There weren't a lot of Black Jays hats out there. The great new design and the hype over the off-season is why you see so many now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattleflamer View Post

-Also, you have to understand that these same Canadian fans that are obnoxious at Safeco sit on their hands at Canuck games or at the Saddledome for that matter.
I would suggest that the majority of the obnoxious Jays fans that were in Seattle for the series are obnoxious Canuck fans the rest of the year.

Last edited by Howie_16; 08-08-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Howie_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:55 AM   #69
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

You see Jays hats all the time when out and about. Hell, last year there was deadly barfight that started over an argument about blue jays pitching in Calgary. Make no mistake, there's plenty of Blue jays support across Canada.
I think the Blue Jays are the most popular individual team but I am not sure that they are any more than half of baseball fans favorite outside of the GTA.

I would guess that it is about 50% Jays fans 50% other teams. I do think that casual fans that don;t really know/care about baseball in Canada are probably Jays fans more often than not which does bump the number up.

I know from people I know/talk to I would say it is about 40% Jays 60% others. I do know when talking about this and using personal stories Jays fans tend to say that it is much higher for them so perhaps the baseball fans I know are an outlying group or Jays fans tend to know more Jays fans.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #70
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just got back from Seattle this afternoon. We loved the week there, and look forward to going back again. Beautiful city.

Maybe we'll do the Jays/Mariners again next year.
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:58 AM   #71
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Allegiance is often born of proximity and/or a unique connection.

I'm a lifelong Mariners fan because I grew up watching the Cannons and seeing those players go on to play for Seattle in the Majors. My good friend really aligned himself with the White Sox when they were affiliated in Calgary.

Frankly, I think the majority of the Jays fanbase are "Proud Canadians". If they were the Detroit Blue Jays nobody would give a darn.

WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:25 PM   #72
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonFourTwo View Post
Allegiance is often born of proximity and/or a unique connection.

I'm a lifelong Mariners fan because I grew up watching the Cannons and seeing those players go on to play for Seattle in the Majors. My good friend really aligned himself with the White Sox when they were affiliated in Calgary.

Frankly, I think the majority of the Jays fanbase are "Proud Canadians". If they were the Detroit Blue Jays nobody would give a darn.

Yep, that's me to a tee. You say it like it's a bad thing, though. Lots of Canadians love the Jays because they're a Canadian team. It's all good.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calgary , jays , mariners , seattle , toronto