Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2010, 08:29 PM   #1
Skyceman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Red Haus condos in Royal Oak

Does anyone have any experience with the Red Haus condo's up in Royal Oak? My wife and I are looking at a place up there but we are overseas right now. We used to live in Calgary 3 years ago but not sure how things might have changed in that area now (eg. traffic, good daycares, etc).

Thanks in advance if anyone can share insight.

Last edited by Skyceman; 10-02-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Skyceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:09 AM   #2
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

I pm'd you my credit card numbers and bank accounts. Enjoy!
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:59 PM   #3
81flames
Draft Pick

The only thing I would caution about Royal Oak is the traffic. They closed the intersection connecting Royal Oak/Rocky Ridge to Crowchild. From what I hear getting out of those two communities is really bad as there is only 2 exits. Those condos you are looking at are closer to Country Hills, so it might not affect you as much, but it's still something to keep in mind.
Red Haus is walking distance to the sobeys/walmart and really quick access to Stoney Trail (5 minutes to beacon hill/crowfoot). I'm not sure about daycare/schools though.
81flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:42 PM   #4
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think there's a new (K-4) elementary school opening in Royal Oak. Not sure if it will be open in September 2011 or September 2012. School site looks relatively close to Red Haus. Junior High (5-9) will be across Crowchild Trail in Tuscany. That's also under development and I'm not sure when it opens. Senior High (10-12) is across Stoney Trail in Arbour Lake. It is also being built right now and has a working name of "Northwest Calgary High School."

http://www.cbe.ab.ca/Schools/underde...NewSchools.pdf

New LRT station along Crowchild Trail (Tuscany Station) will open in 2014. (Link).

One thing about that area is that they tend to get significantly more snowfall than other areas of the city due to the elevation. Royal Oak is the highest point in the city. Also, roads tend to be more treacherous there due to the increased snow, winding roads, and hilly terrain.

Last edited by frinkprof; 10-03-2010 at 02:46 PM.
frinkprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:05 PM   #5
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

K-4 school opened this year.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:26 PM   #6
MJM
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81flames View Post
The only thing I would caution about Royal Oak is the traffic. They closed the intersection connecting Royal Oak/Rocky Ridge to Crowchild. From what I hear getting out of those two communities is really bad as there is only 2 exits. Those condos you are looking at are closer to Country Hills, so it might not affect you as much, but it's still something to keep in mind.
Red Haus is walking distance to the sobeys/walmart and really quick access to Stoney Trail (5 minutes to beacon hill/crowfoot). I'm not sure about daycare/schools though.

The overpass is scheduled to be completed within October, removing all traffic lights. So within the next few weeks traffic will be an absolute breeze once again.

I went to the community meeting about the LRT there, and to listen to some idiots complain there about the traffic (mostly old people) was mind-numbing. It's only been a real problem for a couple of weeks, and within the next couple of weeks it will be a non-issue. I don't know how the man form the City of Calgary didn't lose it on these people. Bitching about an inconvenience that has last a couple of months that's going to result in the elimination of the Stoney Trail Intersection (shave 5-10 min off commute) and the arrival of the LRT is the most backwards logic I have ever seen.

The people doing the most bitching are generally just the people that used to live right off Rocky Ridge Road and right on the old exit and now have to drive around. You gotta laugh at them though, they've known since the community was built that's what was going to happen.

As for Red Haus condos themselves, I toured one with a friend and they appeared to be pretty nice and upscale. I found the price point was a little high, but they likely have came down (as have all condos in the City). Absolutely wicked location for public transportation though. 2 minute bus ride to the train (one stop away in both direction.

Last edited by MJM; 10-03-2010 at 04:44 PM.
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:16 PM   #7
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJM View Post
The overpass is scheduled to be completed within October, removing all traffic lights. So within the next few weeks traffic will be an absolute breeze once again.
I'm guessing you're referring to Crow/Stoney...but Royal Oak has probably one of the worst intersections in the greater NW at Royal Birch BV and Country Hills BV. Its always backed up, there's usually a few accidents a day there, and the lights never seem to make sense. Obviously it got compounded when they shut down Rocky Ridge Rd/Crow, but its still a cluster.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:54 PM   #8
Bork
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I actually live in one of the Red Haus buildings. Feel free to ask me anything about it. I quite enjoy living here as it's a nice building and it's taken care of quite well from an upkeep standpoint.
With Stoney Trail now open getting around the city is usually pretty easy, save for the usual rush hour traffic delays. The Country Hills Blvd/Royal Birch Blvd intersection isn't great but since they've put in dual turning lanes to turn into Royal Oak, it's helped a lot. I usually don't have to wait more than a light or two.
Bork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:00 AM   #9
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
I think there's a new (K-4) elementary school opening in Royal Oak. Not sure if it will be open in September 2011 or September 2012. School site looks relatively close to Red Haus. Junior High (5-9) will be across Crowchild Trail in Tuscany. That's also under development and I'm not sure when it opens. Senior High (10-12) is across Stoney Trail in Arbour Lake. It is also being built right now and has a working name of "Northwest Calgary High School."

http://www.cbe.ab.ca/Schools/underde...NewSchools.pdf

New LRT station along Crowchild Trail (Tuscany Station) will open in 2014. (Link).

One thing about that area is that they tend to get significantly more snowfall than other areas of the city due to the elevation. Royal Oak is the highest point in the city. Also, roads tend to be more treacherous there due to the increased snow, winding roads, and hilly terrain.
Will Rocky Ridge/Royal Oak kids have access to the Tuscany and Arbour Lake schools though?
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:48 PM   #10
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

^Not sure what you mean. If by "access" you mean they would be zoned to go to those schools once at Junior and Senior High ages, respectively, then I'd assume so. They must be the closest public schools for Rocky Ridge/Royal Oak.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:05 PM   #11
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't looked at Red Haus much, but from what I do know the development and developer has a pretty good reputation.
If I was looking to buy in that part of the city, or had clients looking there I'd certainly them high on my list to check out in more depth.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:04 PM   #12
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

I actually found myself in that area of the city yesterday. As far as location goes, they are actually pretty good as far as suburban condos go, which are often more miss than hit in my opinion. Walking distance (good walking distance too, basically just across the street) to Sobey's, London Drugs, Wal-Mart (meaningless to me, but maybe not to you), Subway, Blind Monk (looked to be a licensed sit-down restaurant/pub), and some other shops. A lot of your daily needs are literally right at the doorstep.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:12 PM   #13
tenyardrambo
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I know this post is old but came across it. I used to live in building 30. 2008-2011. I found it ok, the management team was pretty bad though. The gardens had garbage flying around, the 'gym' has 2 cardio machines and a couple of dumb bells. They send you more mail then the government does, always asking for money and trying to fine you for things you did not do. The traffic is horrible. I would suggest looking somewhere else for a condo. The great thing about it if you can find a deal, they have a lot of shops and stores there, all walking distance!
tenyardrambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:22 PM   #14
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Well if he's still looking, even though the OP is from 2 years ago, I'm sure your advice will be welcomed.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
condo , red haus