Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-03-2008, 12:43 AM   #101
chris_yk
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Sorry, only read through half of this, missed the game cause I was at Rise Against, but was Phaneuf really that bad tonight?? or is he just a convenient scapegoat due to Avery's comments?
chris_yk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:56 AM   #102
Rifleman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If Aucoin buried one of his three chances, this would have been a different outcome. Ya can't win em all, and the Flames, IMHO, did outchance the Stars tonight- a good sign.

Turco was brilliant, and Dallas played the stifling defense they needed to play on the road. They deserved the win, although this game could've gone either way. Plus, Calgary always has trouble against Dallas.
Rifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:04 AM   #103
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDoupe View Post
How do you get the rest of the team to buckle down and play solid defence when the guy who makes more gaffes and lazy plays than anyone keeps getting top ice time?

"Sorry Lombo, you'll get back on the 2nd pp unit when you back check harder. Gio, you gotta earn more ice time with consistent play in your own end.' etc. doesn't have a lot of credibility when Phaneuf keeps getting 28 minutes a game regardless of how he plays.

Phaneuf has never been one of the top defensive players on the team. His teammates have to resent his ice-time immunity.
I suspect his team-mates understand that Dion Phaneuf playing a lot gives them a better chance to win - which is likely what they care about.

I would add that he's not nearly as bad as you and others are making him out to be.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:05 AM   #104
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_yk View Post
Sorry, only read through half of this, missed the game cause I was at Rise Against, but was Phaneuf really that bad tonight?? or is he just a convenient scapegoat due to Avery's comments?
He didn't have a good game. In fact it was indeed one of his poorest of the season.

But some are over-reacting.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:19 AM   #105
Incinerator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
He didn't have a good game. In fact it was indeed one of his poorest of the season.

But some are over-reacting.
I can understand him having a bad game, but giving up on the empty netter with almost 20 seconds remaining was completely unacceptable.
Incinerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:30 AM   #106
bugsy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_yk View Post
nevermind Avery

how was Rise Against?

theyre playing here in march, havent had a chance to see them live yet

(sorry, this is way OTT, so probably nevermind)
bugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:42 AM   #107
Scooter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamey_mcflame View Post
They played fine tonight. It's just one of those games. The Flames will end up winning 10 games like this, this year, and end up losing 10 like them. Statistical probabilities, you know.
Stanley Cup champions win 15 gm. like these, and lose 5 like like them. Fact.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:54 AM   #108
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

I like to meltdown with the best of 'em but there's no need after last night's game. We are playing pretty consistent hockey these days, and we'll win more than we lose by quite a bit if we keep playing that way.

When we sucked about two weeks ago, my main beef is that we seemed unable to generate any consistency in our play game-to-game. Our wins weren't even similar, let alone the losses.

But we seem to have figured out how we want to play, and it's been working, so I'll take quite a few losses like last night before I complain about this team again.

Individual players, on the other hand, I'm more than willing to... Iggy and Phaneuf need to be better, that's for sure.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:09 AM   #109
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
Worst call ever on Lombardi. 2 minutes after the play, IT WASN'T BOARDING, and he got 4 minutes. One of the worst calls I have ever seen.
A high stick drawing blood is something a linesman can call, and with the exception of too many men, a linesman cannot stop a play to report a penalty. He has to wait for the play to stop via some other means.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:19 AM   #110
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
A high stick drawing blood is something a linesman can call, and with the exception of too many men, a linesman cannot stop a play to report a penalty. He has to wait for the play to stop via some other means.
What happens if the Flames scored during that time?
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:27 AM   #111
yads
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Let's give credit to the Stars. They sure played a lot better than their record. The defensive game was sound and Turco looked good when he had to. The Flames generated a ton of shots, but couldn't really get into the slot. We couldn't finish on our chances and our impact players were pretty weak (Kipper and Regehr excluded.)
yads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:46 AM   #112
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, the Flames did seem to lack that energy that they've shown the last 5 or 6 games early, but they didn't play badly IMO. Turco was fantastic and stopped probably 10 really great chances (mostly from Moss and Aucoin). Kipper had no chance on either goal and had a few beauty stops of his own.

It's a game they sould win. It's a game they need to win, but I can't fault the effort. Letting the Stars get the first goal killed them. Score on that team early and you make life much easier on yourself.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:58 AM   #113
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
Well, the Flames did seem to lack that energy that they've shown the last 5 or 6 games early, but they didn't play badly IMO. Turco was fantastic and stopped probably 10 really great chances (mostly from Moss and Aucoin). Kipper had no chance on either goal and had a few beauty stops of his own.

It's a game they sould win. It's a game they need to win, but I can't fault the effort. Letting the Stars get the first goal killed them. Score on that team early and you make life much easier on yourself.
I'm actually going to disagree with this a little bit, surprisingly, and say if he controls that rebound by either kicking it to the corner or just holding on to it then it's still 1-1. It looks like he tried to hold on with no success, with a play like that I would rather see him punch/kick it out to the boards considering there was not much support coming from the Stars.

However without him making some beauty saves with that 4 minutes PK then its 3-1 or 4-1 so he is definitely not to blame for the loss but I would like to see him react a bit different to that play next time. Plus it's a lot easier to react watching it on TV vs being in the play
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:06 AM   #114
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll tag this one as an emotional 'come-down' after 2 intense games with Vancouver. The heart wasn't in it last night.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:05 PM   #115
Pauly
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Was at the game last night. Was a good effort by the boys as the shots indicated. Dallas however did a good job of limiting "quality" scoring chances while we made a few crucial mistakes that cost us goals.

We definitely deserved to get a point out of that, if not the win, but the effort was there and no bad tendencies crept into the system play.

The ONLY thing to be critical of was Phaneuf, worst player on the ice last night by a country mile. I'm a Phaneuf supporter, but he was horrible last night. Both of the first two goals he did not pick up his man and the empty netter was a horrible effort on his part as he let the Stars player out-hustle him to the puck. Bad pinches all night, brutal little flip passes up the middle rather than the safe play moving the puck along the boards made for the worst performance I've seen him have in a Flames jersey. Even on the Offensive side of things, how many times can a guy shoot the puck at everyone's head before he clues in to keep it near the ice for a rebound or tip-in. There were 3 or 4 times where he missed the net by about 10 feet and almost decapitated a few of the Flames in the process. This has become a bit of a trend of late, hopefully the coaches are working alot with Dion go-forward on better decision making in his own zone.

Hopefully Aucoin's injury isnt serious because he's been playing well since paired with Reg and we cant afford to have him out. A few guys that really stood out last night for their quality play:

a.) Regehr - Guy's a stud, not many better defensively. Cool, calm & collected, rock solid, eats up a tonne of minutes and always make the intelligent play. Makes guy's around him better (i.e. Aucoin). Played great last night, was a force all night long.

b.) Pardy - While no Regehr, I've noticed the increased confidence in his play of late. Playing better positionally, making the smart first pass out of his zone and not making any bad pinches of late the way he was earlier on.

c.) Moss - Was all over the place last night. Had a tonne of shots on goal, was always finishing every check and worked the puck well down low and created many chances last night. He's found his scoring touch of late, playing very well with the increased minutes.

d.) Primeau - Unbelievable how valuable Primeau has become to this team. He is the anchor on the 4th line and IMO our best penalty killer. The guy gives 110% effort every shift and is always the first guy into the corner, where he can control the puck possession game with his size & new-found speed. I really think Primeau's play has rubbed off on the younger guys, specifically his linemates Prust & Nystrom. I'd argue we've got one of the best 4th lines in the league and these guys are making a huge difference every night with their effort and consistency

All-in-all nothing about the loss last night to be concerned about. Tough 4 game road trip coming up. Hopefully the boys have a great trip, it'll be a good test for them

Last edited by Pauly; 12-03-2008 at 01:29 PM.
Pauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:51 PM   #116
jeremywilhelm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I was at the game as well. Pretty much the entire team was invisible besides Moss (wow, great night for this guy, he was a machine), Aucoin (ditto) and Lombardi (who actually set up alot of the chances that Iggy just poofed away).

Everyone is crapping on Dion, but seriously, Iginla (Jarmoe!!! damn you!!) had his worst, most invisible game of the season. He was either falling down, or giving away the puck at pretty much every moment he was on the ice. i was a little dissapointed.
Also dissapointed in the 'dome last night. When i used to drive down for games, it was impossible to talk to my friends because of the cheering/excitement going on. Last night was funeral quiet! weak!

Either way, no matter how you look at it, Flambes were the better team, by far. Dallas eeked out a win, and that will happen. On to the next game!
jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:05 PM   #117
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ everyone was falling down last night, I saw at least five guys blow a tire at some point. I don't know if the skate sharpener was having a bad day or if the ice was just really terrible. Not that it should excuse bad play, it was just an observation.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Last edited by MissTeeks; 12-03-2008 at 01:06 PM. Reason: spelling
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:14 PM   #118
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Nah, the ice just hasn't been the same at the dome for years. It gets all slushy about 10 min into any given period it seems.

On Phaneuf, he definately didn't have his head in it near the end, but the guy was on the ice for almost half the damn game. Give 'em a break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flames , no avery , stars , turco