Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-11-2019, 02:42 PM   #21
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems to be the correct decision to me. The way I see the play is Boychuk is charging in to get to the puck before the waiting Voracek. The only reason Boychuk get's lined up with Voracek's back is when Voracek steps into him and delivers the head shot.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2019, 02:43 PM   #22
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbestfriend View Post
I don't blame Voracek at all for doing what he did. Probably deserved an interference call, but I think a suspension is too much.
Boychuk takes 3 or 4 hard strides at him from inside the blue line. Voracek not knowing what Boychuk was going to do there is exactly the point. He has no idea if Boychuk is going to put him through the boards or pin him. He’s got to prepare for the worst.
IMO, at the speed at which Boychuk is coming in, no way he was going to pin him. He was definitely looking to blow up Voracek.
If anything he baited Boychuk into that situation. He knew what he was doing and what he was going to do long before impact.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:56 PM   #23
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbestfriend View Post
I don't blame Voracek at all for doing what he did. Probably deserved an interference call, but I think a suspension is too much.
Boychuk takes 3 or 4 hard strides at him from inside the blue line. Voracek not knowing what Boychuk was going to do there is exactly the point. He has no idea if Boychuk is going to put him through the boards or pin him. He’s got to prepare for the worst.
IMO, at the speed at which Boychuk is coming in, no way he was going to pin him. He was definitely looking to blow up Voracek.
If this is how Hockey was played 35 guys would leave every game on stretchers. You can't make a predatory play, because you think you might get hit.
Boychuk had the inside line to the puck, and was pinching, as any defenseman would have done. He was making a hockey play. A veteran like Voracek would know that, as it happens every single game. I highly doubt he was concerned that Boychuk was going to make and extremely illegal check from behind, when he could see he wasn't even in his direct line, by the fact that he made the move towards the inside of the ice to initiate contact.
wretched34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:19 PM   #24
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

It looked to me like Boychuck was skating directly at Vorachek. Neither looked to be moving to where the puck was.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2019, 03:51 PM   #25
OmegaV4
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just playing devils advocate here...

Could it also be considered charging on Boychuck? I watched the video and I counted 5 strides before the hit. Not sure if that makes any iota of difference.
OmegaV4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 04:26 PM   #26
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is much worse than Eichel's hit. Eichel was just bracing himself for a collision and Soderberg ran his head low into him. I am fine with this one, the Eichel suspension was a joke.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:37 PM   #27
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaV4 View Post
Just playing devils advocate here...

Could it also be considered charging on Boychuck? I watched the video and I counted 5 strides before the hit. Not sure if that makes any iota of difference.
There is no set number of strides that makes it charging.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:13 AM   #28
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Bettman upholds the 2 game suspension.

https://media.nhl.com/site/vasset/pu...ingVoracek.pdf
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:52 PM   #29
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Bettman upholds the 2 game suspension.

https://media.nhl.com/site/vasset/pu...ingVoracek.pdf

Month/Day/Year.

Clear proof of the true evil that is The Bettman.
Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:25 AM   #30
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly06Cup View Post
Boychuk is the one initiating contact and creating the dangerous situation. They are not close to the puck because Boychuk went charging right to Voraceks back instead of going for the puck. If Voracek doesn't brace himself, he gets flattened face first into the glass 15 feet from the puck.

DOPS is way off on this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly06Cup View Post
If NHL wants to increase safety, it should look at Boychuks role. He is recklessly charging towards a player at a dangerous angle who is not close to the puck. Voracek sees him and on contact attempts to side step the hit and straightens his back. Boychuk is clearly the aggressor and it is his type of play that results in injuries In the league. Voracek is in a lose-lose situation: take an awkward hit or try to protect yourself. That's what so weird about this "reverse hit".
If Boychuk wanted to hit him, he would have hit him (or at least not been totally unprepared for contact). The fact that he ran face first into Voracek's back is evidence that Boychuk was in fact going to play the puck, not the body. He's going to where the puck is going to be...of course he's not going to where it was

Your take is insane.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote