Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-05-2019, 06:42 AM   #21
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I still think we will protect 4 D or pay a first for Seattle to leave our Defense alone
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:45 AM   #22
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

We're 2 years away from this happening...a lot can happen between then and now. No sense in getting worried about it today.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:51 AM   #23
Snapshot
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
He kinda reminds me of guys like Roman Josi and Kris Letang, though I think he's an even better skater than they are. I don't see why that can't be his upside either - if we give him a fair opportunity going forward. Also don't think he is a right D, all his instincts are purely developed for playing on the left side. I'm intrigued to see what he can do with Mike Stone as his partner.
I guess it's a good thing Kylington already lines up on the left side, then?
Snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:51 AM   #24
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I rank Kylington ahead of Andersson right now.

Hanifin
Valimaki
Kylington
Andersson
whatever the ranking may be - having all of those 4 in the system is amazing. Hanifin, to me, is Gios heir apparent and will be a top pairing defenseman for a long time. Valimaki IMO has that upside as well ... Kylington and Andersson will be great 2nd pairing defensemen IMO. Love them both, I think they've done really well this season. Kylingtons skating has always been amazing, but you can see the work he's put in in Stockton to improve his all-around game.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2019, 07:05 AM   #25
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

perhaps with hamonic out for a bit, it will give an opportunity to a couple of these guys to play in different situations so we can learn more about them.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:09 AM   #26
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Expansion is such a bunch of crap. I get the owners get to line their pockets from expansion teams but it pisses me off a new team gets to just vulture good players and immediately be competitive. I think the amount of players you can protect is too low.
A half-billion dollars should get you something. The expansion rules have as much to do with ensuring the value of the new franchise (and by extension the League) as anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2019, 08:12 AM   #27
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do not want to move any of our 4 22 or younger D.

A long term core player would have to be coming back if one of those 4 are in the trade.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2019, 08:16 AM   #28
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
A half-billion dollars should get you something. The expansion rules have as much to do with ensuring the value of the new franchise (and by extension the League) as anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
650 million, but yeah your point remains.
chummer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:21 AM   #29
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

The ONLY reason I would trade him is so we don't lose him for nothing at the expansion draft. This kid has bags of potential, and has already shown he can handle a regular NHL shift. His skating is borderline elite.

However, the expansion draft is not happening this summer so we have tons of time; plus anything can happen from now until then.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2019, 08:31 AM   #30
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Expansion is such a bunch of crap. I get the owners get to line their pockets from expansion teams but it pisses me off a new team gets to just vulture good players and immediately be competitive. I think the amount of players you can protect is too low.
When you're paying $650 million, you should get an actual team, not just a clown car of 4th liners and #7D.

It's one player per team. It's fine. It's not good for the league to have teams take 5-10 years to be competitive while they hemmorhage money in a game with a $55M salary floor.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:40 AM   #31
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I've enjoyed watching him. I think his defensive mistakes have been more on the subtle side lately, which suggests improvement and attention to detail.

I do think he can help the team more. I'd like Peters to try him on the second PP. I appreciate TJ's skating but I really don't think he has much in the way of offensive creativity or intuition. Kylington's occasional forays into open ice have been smart and responsible imo, and I think he shows that the offensive side flows more naturally for him than it does for TJ.

My 2 cents.
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:41 AM   #32
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

False narrative man. Everyone thought Vegas was going to suck, but they got good through sheer dumb luck. They were focused on potential. Even McPhee kept saying how they are building for the future.

No one thought Karlsson was going to score 43 goals or whatever it was. Pitts protected their young goalie instead of aging vet. Marchessault should not have been made available. McPhee could have had two players from the Flames for free but chose Engelland who was UFA anyway and is a Vegas resident. The list goes on.

It was all luck.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:42 AM   #33
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Kylington ahead of Valimaki?

Is this a case of recency bias taking over?

Im stunned there is that sentiment at all, as from what we saw from JV before he was injured is miles ahead of anything we have seen from OK IMO.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:45 AM   #34
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think each team losing their 8th best forward or 4th best defenseman isn't the end of the world.

The key for the Flames is not to make a bad trade to protect a player, or in order to not lose a player for nothing. Those were the biggest mistakes by other teams.

Florida with Marchessault & Smith
Minnesota with Tuch and Haula
Columbus with Karlsson, 1st, and 2nd
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2019, 09:29 AM   #35
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

not sure who is saying kylington is ahead of valimaki or has a higher upside than valimaki...

the OP asked about Kylington... so people are commenting on Kylington... if the thread asked for a longterm comparison between the two, i am sure you'd have a much different response.

Valimaki is calgary's only blue chip prospect... guys like Andersson, Kylington, Dube are great, but definitely on the tier below valimaki for me
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:40 AM   #36
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Great skater. To me he looks a bit weak controlling players though. Ive seen him whif on quite a few shots as well. His skill is def his skating. I see his upside as a #4/5 D.
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:44 AM   #37
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Kylington, but I think he tops out as Brodie IMO. Good skating dman that is prone to some boneheaded plays. I would rank him 4th among our young dmen, after Hanafin, Andersson, and Valimaki.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:55 AM   #38
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I like Kylington, but I think he tops out as Brodie IMO. Good skating dman that is prone to some boneheaded plays. I would rank him 4th among our young dmen, after Hanafin, Andersson, and Valimaki.
A few games ago, an opposing foreward blew by Andersson on a breakaway. Kylington came from across the ice on a diagonal at speed and intercepted the forward bumping him off the puck without taking a penalty. Not a lot of D-men could have managed that.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rick M. For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2019, 09:56 AM   #39
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Under the old expansion rules teams could protect more players and so the expansion rosters were awful. So in order to compete, those teams had to play awful defensive hockey. The whole clutch and grab era came about in the early 90s because expansion teams like the Panthers couldn't compete otherwise.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2019, 10:15 AM   #40
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Kylington is a player I really like. I think he has ability to be an electric player but he also has areas to improve- which he will mostly with experience but also in skill development.

He has shown (but also learned from mistakes) that he can be forced into turnovers in the defensive end and sometimes he isn’t able to get his shot off - almost like balance issues then mechanics but I’m no expert. Kylington sometimes puts passes to much into feet instead of on tape but again this should improve.

I think it’s too early to rank them (protect list) although it’s natural to do so. I’m suggesting the rankings could change a lot.

Andersson was looking better earlier but I’ve seen a minor dip in his play and a reluctance to shoot in great spots (entire team guilty).

It would be great if one guy could play right side between Valimaki and Kylington- maybe Hanifin??
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post: