Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2019, 01:30 PM   #41
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Do Leafs media have more votes than other teams? I really don't know how anyone could make a case Rielly has been better than Gio. At this point Leafs media is the only thing that should prevent Gio from finally getting his due.
I think the media thing is overblown. There are something like 180 PHWA members. There are 20 PHWA chapter members in Toronto and there are maybe 4 lifetime members who I'd call Toronto based. Now that's more than other cities (but come come close, like Philly, NY-NJ, Boston).

I don't think Eastern media is disposed towards Toronto players - just Toronto media, and a lot of those guys aren't PHWA members.

Also, we can't just assume they are shills or anti-Gio. In 2014 James Mirtle, who is a member, published his ballot and Gio had his first place Norris vote (over Chara and Doughty). He was pretty heavy into analytics for his selections.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 02:01 PM   #42
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Adams has to go to Trotz right? I don't think anybody anticipated that the Isles would be in a playoff spot at this point.

Also some great work done by Mitch Korn, their goalie coach who also came over from Washington. Turned Lehner into one of the top goalies in the league. A true goalie whisperer.
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 02:06 PM   #43
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey-and_stuff View Post
The Adams has to go to Trotz right? I don't think anybody anticipated that the Isles would be in a playoff spot at this point.

Also some great work done by Mitch Korn, their goalie coach who also came over from Washington. Turned Lehner into one of the top goalies in the league. A true goalie whisperer.
Korn is IMO the best goalie coach out there. He's followed Trotz everywhere and look at the goaltending in Nashville, then Washington, and now the Isles.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2019, 02:09 PM   #44
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Korn is IMO the only goalie coach where you can objectively see every goalie improve under his tutelage.

Look at Grubauer and Holtby this year compared to last season. Rinne seems to be the only guy who stayed at a high level after Korn left.
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:39 PM   #45
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
On the other hand, how is McDavid helping his team find success? I guess you could say they'd be a no brainer bottom feeder without him, but on that standard, look at what Gibson is doing.

Totally agree, Gibson should be the third in Hart instead of McWhatever.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:45 PM   #46
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some moron on TSN thinks McDavid should win because the Oilers are improved because they are closer to the playoffs this season than last lol.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:11 PM   #47
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had no idea Gibson is playing that well (don't actually watch Ducks games). I would have thought from their terrible slide that goaltending must be part of the problem.

You have to be some kind of suck to have a Vezina goalie and still lose 12 in a row.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:17 PM   #48
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Some moron on TSN thinks McDavid should win because the Oilers are improved because they are closer to the playoffs this season than last lol.
Calgary is closer to the POs than last year. Much, much closer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2019, 04:28 PM   #49
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Korn is IMO the best goalie coach out there. He's followed Trotz everywhere and look at the goaltending in Nashville, then Washington, and now the Isles.

Treliving should either try to steal Korn away with a boat load of money, or get Sigalet to hang out with him over the summer to learn his ways
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:52 PM   #50
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

News Update

The Mayor John Hoven @mayorNHL
UPDATE: In speaking w/ @ThePHWA brass, while there are no plans to release exact numbers, I was able to glean a few interesting nuggets - Kucherov vs Gaudreau for the Hart was pretty close & Giordano won in an absolute landslide; Rielly wasn't anywhere near him in Norris voting.

A top scoring D and voted second best defensively....it ought to be unanimous
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:52 PM   #51
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Pedro View Post
Had no idea there was a Rod Langway Award
I wonder what other awards could be inventend?

Ken Linseman award, for the player most resembling a rodent through their physical appearance and/or behaviour?
Marchand edges Tkachuk based on appearance.

Ron Hextall award, for the goaltender who best excels at the offensive aspects of the game while racking up PIMS

Scott Stevens award for most bone crunching hits?

Milan Lucic award, for worst on-ice output relative to their AAV
Phaneuf, Lucic, or Nylander in a tight race (depending how you look at WN's wonky cap hit this year)

Wayne Simmonds award, for the best on-ice output relative to their AAV (min $3M)
Kucherov, Lindholm, Josi

Edmonton Oilers award, for the team to have compromised the most promising young talent in a given season?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:59 PM   #52
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I wonder what other awards could be inventend?

Ken Linseman award, for the player most resembling a rodent through their physical appearance and/or behaviour?
Marchand edges Tkachuk based on appearance.

Ron Hextall award, for the goaltender who best excels at the offensive aspects of the game while racking up PIMS

Scott Stevens award for most bone crunching hits?

Milan Lucic award, for worst on-ice output relative to their AAV
Phaneuf, Lucic, or Nylander in a tight race (depending how you look at WN's wonky cap hit this year)

Wayne Simmonds award, for the best on-ice output relative to their AAV (min $3M)
Kucherov, Lindholm, Josi

Edmonton Oilers award, for the team to have compromised the most promising young talent in a given season?
Now that's an NHL awards ceremony I would watch.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:29 PM   #53
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Excited to hear that Giordano is running away with the Norris votes so far this season. Hopefully Giordano finds even another gear and helps propel the Flames higher in the standings and just destroys the voting for the Norris. Really hope he gets the Rod Langway award, even if it is not an NHL 'official' award. I have always felt that the Norris should be more than just "what defencemen put up the most points". No sleight against Burns and Karlsson, but they are more 'rovers' than defencemen. There is nothing wrong with being a rover, but over the last 5 years or so, I have felt that Giordano, Hedman and Doughty have been the NHL's best defenemen.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:54 PM   #54
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
KoЯn peaked in the 90s if you ask me.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2019, 06:55 PM   #55
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Has there ever been a Selke finalist that's -18?
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:19 PM   #56
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
interesting results from the people that actually vote on some of the awards at the end of the season.

Quote:
Selke Trophy - to the forward who best excels in the defensive aspects of the game.

1. Patrice Bergeron, Boston Bruins
2. Aleksander Barkov, Florida Panthers
3. Mark Stone, Ottawa Senators
1. Patrice Bergeron, Boston Bruins (33GP | 14G | 27A | 41P | +3)
2. Aleksander Barkov, Florida Panthers (48GP | 17G | 30A | 47P | -18)
3. Mark Stone, Ottawa Senators (50GP | 22G | 28A | 50P | + 15)

Or... Elias Lindholm, Calgary Flames (51GP | 21G | 37A | 58P | +26)
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2019, 08:23 PM   #57
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or how about Mikael Backlund - +27 now, third in the league after Giordano and Brodie. Without looking, I guess he plays harder minutes and tougher zone starts than Bergeron or Stone. MAYBE tougher than Barkov. I think he should start getting some Selke talk, especially since his point production has seen a bit of an uptick.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2019, 08:27 PM   #58
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

If members of Calgarypuck were doing this Peter Chiarelli would GM of the year.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:49 AM   #59
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Or how about Mikael Backlund - +27 now, third in the league after Giordano and Brodie. Without looking, I guess he plays harder minutes and tougher zone starts than Bergeron or Stone. MAYBE tougher than Barkov. I think he should start getting some Selke talk, especially since his point production has seen a bit of an uptick.
I would guess that he might also get tougher minutes, matchups and zone starts than Lindholm, which may be one reason Lindholm gets overlooked. Lindholm is great, but some people would argue he's not even the best defensive forward on the team (sorta like when people talked about Modano when there was Jere Lehtinen was on the same team).
Old 01-25-2019, 09:18 AM   #60
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
If members of Calgarypuck were doing this Peter Chiarelli would GM of the year.

I voted for David Poile.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote