Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 01-23-2019, 06:33 PM   #21
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

It was widely reported at the draft that the Flames did try to move up but all the trade talk stopped when it became clear that Columbus wasn't going to take Puljujarvi.

The only question is what price they were willing to pay to move up.

There was also a rumor that there was a 3-way trade between Columbus-Calgary-Edmonton as Kekalinen, Chiarelli, and Treliving were seen talking together just before the draft started.

Last edited by sureLoss; 01-23-2019 at 06:39 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2019, 06:33 PM   #22
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't believe it. I feel like that's what Chi said.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:34 PM   #23
Prufrock
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Horrifying thread title, looks so much like an actual trade thread haha. Thanks for the startle, sureloss!

Very happy this never happened.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:37 PM   #24
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, that would have been a tough trade to digest. I hope Backlund retires as a flame.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:37 PM   #25
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I call bs on that.

Tre is smart
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:39 PM   #26
LWcrowfoot
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
There is no way they would give up Backlund just to move up 2 spots.
Backlund had two years left, hadn't signed his extension. Oilers were also taking on almost six million in dead weight in Dennis Wideman for a season as well. The second round pick given up by Edmonton was 32nd overall. Flames drafted Tyler Parons and Dillion Dube later in the 2nd at 54 and 56. It's not just moving up two spots, it's a high 2nd and taking on a big dead weight contract. To me the value is tough but fair.

Glad it worked out the way it did but happy Treliving was willing to move for the guy they saw as a potential star. Some of us are only going "no way is this true!" because we ended up with Tkachuk by just drafting him but if we had missed out and this information came out.. we'd be lamenting missing out on him.
LWcrowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to LWcrowfoot For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2019, 06:40 PM   #27
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I have a really hard time believing the Flames wanted to make this trade. To me that sounds like what Edmonton was asking for.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2019, 06:44 PM   #28
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

There were a lot of rumors that day. Bishop was almost a Flames. I remember reading a rumor it was Backlund+6th overall for Bishop and Drouin. There was also a rumor Hamilton was on the block as well and the Oilers were thinking of moving the 4 pick for him. I remember rumors the Flames we’re trying to get a 2nd top 10 pick.

Who knows what was all true but I am glad the Flames got Tkachuk and still have Backlund.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:46 PM   #29
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Surprised people don't remember this. At the draft Tre was actively talking with CLB and then EDM, at one point he was talking to the 2 of them together. Then suddenly everything just stopped and there were no more talks. At the time there was speculation that CGY was trying to trade up and that EDM was interested in dropping down because they wanted Sergachev. The speculation was also that the moment EDM realized that CLB wasn't taking Puljujarvi they no longer wanted to trade down. Tre was after either Tkachuk or Puljujarvi, story makes sense. As for the value, Wideman at the time was negative value.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2019, 06:47 PM   #30
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gross.

True or not, glad we have both Backlund and Tkachuk. Those two playing together ended up being extremely beneficial for the early years of Tkachuk's development.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:47 PM   #31
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

While the thought of Backlund as an Oiler is horrifying take solace knowing Tre was after Tkachuk or Keller at all costs and not Juolevi.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:47 PM   #32
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

If pool party got drafted by columbus instead...

The flames still shouldn't have done anything because Backlund is not worth getting to choose between 3 stud prospects in Keller, Dubois and Thachuk.

Not that im saying we had Dubois valued there but he is looking studly for CBJ this year. And honestly of the guys we "could've had" Thachuk and Dubois would be the only two I'd want outside Laine Matthews
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:48 PM   #33
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

I find it very, very difficult to believe we'd just up and trade our second best center. And to our provincial rival? No way.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:48 PM   #34
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWcrowfoot View Post
Backlund had two years left, hadn't signed his extension. Oilers were also taking on almost six million in dead weight in Dennis Wideman for a season as well. The second round pick given up by Edmonton was 32nd overall. Flames drafted Tyler Parons and Dillion Dube later in the 2nd at 54 and 56. It's not just moving up two spots, it's a high 2nd and taking on a big dead weight contract. To me the value is tough but fair.

Glad it worked out the way it did but happy Treliving was willing to move for the guy they saw as a potential star. Some of us are only going "no way is this true!" because we ended up with Tkachuk by just drafting him but if we had missed out and this information came out.. we'd be lamenting missing out on him.
I find the tweet hard to believe because it intimates that Keller was part of the consideration of making that trade up to #4...

the top two were locks in Matthews and Laine. After that, based on MacKenzie's average of scout's rankings:

3 Poolparty
4 Tkachuk
5 PLD
6 Juolevi
7 Nylander
8 Keller
9 Sergachev

I just find it unlikely that Keller would have jumped past Poolparty, PLD and Juolevi if Tkachuk was gone in the first 5 picks. Jumping up for Tkachuk? That's definitely possible, but the tweet makes it seem like it was an 'either or' for the two...

there was discussion, but my understanding the talks were with CBus

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 01-23-2019 at 06:51 PM.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:52 PM   #35
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Moving Wideman would have cleared a lot of cap space and dumped the "Wideman effect" on the Oilers. Getting the Oilers' 2nd rounder would also have given the Flames two picks in the top-6 of the second round that year.

I'd think there's a good chance that Treliving would have leveraged that cap space and the picks to acquire either Bishop or Fleury rather than Elliott.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:58 PM   #36
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah this sounds to me more like what Chia was requesting.

I hope so at least or my faith in the org would be pretty shaken. Tre has proven to make better reads than that though.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:00 PM   #37
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can’t undervalue dumping Wideman in this scenario. Oilers 2nd would have been very high as well. Couldn’t imagine Bscks on the Oil though so glad it didn’t go down especially because we have Tkachuk.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:03 PM   #38
chockfullofgoodness
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not sure how much input Burke had as far as the 2016 draft went, but he said about a month ago that had the Flames had the #4 pick that year that they would have taken Puljujarvi. They were having a Sportsnet chat about Chiarelli and how tough it is to be a GM in a Canadian market. Burke said something about how highly touted Puljujarvi was and that "we would have taken him." Did anyone else see that?
chockfullofgoodness is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chockfullofgoodness For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2019, 07:08 PM   #39
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This makes no sense. They could've had Keller at 6.

Backlund was probably at the peak of his value at that time too. They wouldn't flip him to their rivals to move 2 spots.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:08 PM   #40
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chockfullofgoodness View Post
Not sure how much input Burke had as far as the 2016 draft went, but he said about a month ago that had the Flames had the #4 pick that year that they would have taken Puljujarvi. They were having a Sportsnet chat about Chiarelli and how tough it is to be a GM in a Canadian market. Burke said something about how highly touted Puljujarvi was and that "we would have taken him." Did anyone else see that?
Yeah I saw that. But as soon as the Oilers knew that Columbus was passing on Puljujarvi they were taking him. They weren't going to move down.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote