Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2019, 06:19 PM   #21
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:
Icon38

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
They could've brought Phaneuf up if they'd been able to get him under contract.

Pre-2004, rookie contracts weren't boilerplate the way they are now. I believe Phaneuf's actual rookie deal paid him north of $2M a season in straight salary (he signed it like the day before the lockout officially started, from what I remember).

I recall Darryl saying something in an interview that 'you don't just hand a player a contract and he signs, that's not how it works'.
According to CapFriendly, his rookie deal was over $2M total over 3 years, but under $1M in any individual year., with an AAV of $785k
Superfraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Superfraggle For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 06:41 PM   #22
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

They could totally snag Kronwall without mortgaging the future. Would be a solid add on the back end that brings experience and reliability.

I don't think you disrupt the chemistry by adding to the 3rd pairing.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2019, 03:43 AM   #23
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Obi-Wan Conrobi: these aren't the drones you're looking for
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:15 AM   #24
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
I've always wondered about this... could Dion have scored that one goal we needed to take game 6 and the Cup.
You must be confused. Even without Phaneuf we scored enough goals in game 6 to win the Cup... because it was in.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shadowlord For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2019, 07:56 AM   #25
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

I hope they make some depth adds.

WE need to have some more muscle in the bottom 6 come playoff time. Having small guys who can wheel is great in the regular season just like Tampa bay but come playoffs you need more bite. Hathaway is fine, Janko is fine but Czarnik, Ryan, Mangipanne, and to an extent Dube, are all IMO serious risks to disappear in the playoffs when things get more physical

I don't want to screw with chemistry, the flames need someone who is a valid threat to actually hurt the other team physically because you know the first thing the team we are playing does is go out and just start hacking and slashing at Johnny's wrists and unless you want Bennett, Hamonic and Gio being the aggressors and deterrents (which you really don't)

I'd love to add someone like a patrick maroon, or wayne simmonds (if the price drops). Someone who will just skate by the other teams bench before the start of the series and challenge the bench to a scrap / tell them in no uncertain terms that if they injure johnny they will not be eating solid food for at least half the offseason.
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Boy Wonder For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2019, 08:02 AM   #26
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

In my opinion having Stone and Valimaki coming back at some point shows the depth we already have on D. That's getting 2 bottom pairing guys back, that are both very capable NHLers.

Like many, I think that 4th line could use something though. But nothing that costs more than a mid level prospect or pick.

No need to do much else at all. And I think its important to not trade away players that have contributed to this seasons success. Move only prospects, picks, or seldom used players.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2019, 08:06 AM   #27
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was all of this preparing us for Dion coming over to bolster the D?
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:11 AM   #28
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
I've been thinking about the upgrade on Smith and I think it's actually a really tough trade. The obvious longer term choices like Saros are simply not available at a reasonable cost. Smith's character and experience I am sure would have a chemistry impact. Much like Holtby last year, I also think the Flames probably think that Smith has another gear before his journey into the sunset.

If you:

1. Cannot acquire a long term upgrade

2. Dont feel that the risk of trading Smith for a Talbot, McElhinney etc is a substantial enough upgrade to not risk the chemistry

3. Dont want to risk a 3 headed goalie monster which this team is familiar with...

Then your only remaining option is to trade for a top end or experienced goalie in the AHL that is already waiver cleared. Not a lot of good options come to mind on that front...
I'd imagine this is what they do if they can acquire a backup to reliably give Rittich nights off, and Smith is a good soldier about it

This time around, it's a 3-goalie situation on paper only. If Smith is capable of coming to terms with his new reality mid-season then maybe he and his salary can ride out the year as a coach/cheerleader. The alternative is waivers, as any trade involving him will cost us
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:41 AM   #29
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hearing that the 1st is probably not going to be moved makes me happy.

From a fan perspective it will be nice to follow the draft, from a futures perspective it keeps talent moving in, from a win now perspective the Flames are already winning.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:34 AM   #30
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

When Conroy said they tried to sign Phaneuf he didn't mention why they couldn't. Was it because the NHL wasn't going to allow it because he was in Junior or was it because they couldn't come to an agreement on a new deal?

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:00 PM   #31
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
I've been thinking about the upgrade on Smith and I think it's actually a really tough trade. The obvious longer term choices like Saros are simply not available at a reasonable cost. Smith's character and experience I am sure would have a chemistry impact. Much like Holtby last year, I also think the Flames probably think that Smith has another gear before his journey into the sunset.

If you:
1. Cannot acquire a long term upgrade
2. Dont feel that the risk of trading Smith for a Talbot, McElhinney etc is a substantial enough upgrade to not risk the chemistry
3. Dont want to risk a 3 headed goalie monster which this team is familiar with...

Then your only remaining option is to trade for a top end or experienced goalie in the AHL that is already waiver cleared. Not a lot of good options come to mind on that front...

If Rittich gets injured or something else happens people will lose their minds if all we have is Smith carrying us so it is tricky.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:13 PM   #32
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't be sure of course, but I think replacing Smith might be what they're thinking when talking chemistry. He seems like a big character and popular. I think he might be our "win it for the old guy".

Plus it's not the worst situation for Rittich, having a familiar, very experienced goalie who's the unquestionable backup.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2019, 12:52 PM   #33
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Can't be sure of course, but I think replacing Smith might be what they're thinking when talking chemistry. He seems like a big character and popular. I think he might be our "win it for the old guy".

Plus it's not the worst situation for Rittich, having a familiar, very experienced goalie who's the unquestionable backup.
This is an interesting observation. I never really though of this.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:29 PM   #34
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

I agree that it's unwise to mortgage any of the future to make a big splash, but I definitely wouldn't mind a few depth ads, probably to the bottom six. I think we have a window that has just opened with our young core and some good contracts heading into the next few years. The only thing that makes me think this year might be our best chance is the fact that it's hard to expect Gio to have a year like he is into the future for too much longer. The rest of the team will be here, but having the Norris contending captain of the team continuing to play at this level is far from certain.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:35 PM   #35
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post

Rittich and Smith are quite close and BSD leans heavily on Smith for advice etc.

It's a big part of the chemistry thing that BT doesn't want to upset to much.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:35 PM   #36
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Perfectly happy if the Flames stay put.

TBH what the team needs most is prospects, since that cupboard is not that full.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post: