Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2019, 09:48 AM   #201
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Elias 'Fricken Zebulon' Lindholm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Wanted to bump this thread-

Is it possible that Lindy is our best all around player?

- offensive catalyst, no matter which line he is on

-great defensive play. Leads league in +/- as a forward

- lethal shot, one timer has become legit option on the pp because of him

-causes turnovers very frequently

-unreal player at 4v4 or shorthanded. Extra space = extra glory for him

- amazingly strong on the boards and very hard to get off the puck in open ice

I would have said tkachuk was close or on par but lindholms consistency has really catapulted him past matt imo. One of the best contracts in the entire league.

He’s Treliving’s master piece. The contract, the player, his production. It’s all gold.

Treliving talked in the off season about getting the next William Karlsson before the trade occurred and he managed to find a better version. Amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Beninho; 02-19-2019 at 09:50 AM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2019, 09:51 AM   #202
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
He’s Treliving’s master piece. The contract, the player, his production. It’s all gold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's more where that came from, my friend. You'll see.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2019, 10:03 AM   #203
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wanted to bump this thread-

Is it possible that Lindy is our best all around player?
- offensive catalyst, no matter which line he is on
-great defensive play. Leads league in +/- as a forward
- lethal shot, one timer has become legit option on the pp because of him
-causes turnovers very frequently
-unreal player at 4v4 or shorthanded. Extra space = extra glory for him
- amazingly strong on the boards and very hard to get off the puck in open ice

I would have said tkachuk was close or on par but lindholms consistency has really catapulted him past matt imo. One of the best contracts in the entire league.

I have to give the edge to Giordano as the best all around player. It might be my homer glasses, but I haven't seen a season like this from a D-man since some of the legends like Pronger and Neidermeyer's heydays. This is a Hart-caliber season from him, but of course the Hart just goes to the Art Ross winner these days.

Zebulon is the best all around forward though. He is doing every little thing right, and producing like a machine. The cherry on top is that contract of his. This trade has been a home run x10.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2019, 10:52 AM   #204
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Lindholm currently on pace for 95 points.

NHL Public Relations
@PR_NHL
Elias Lindholm (25-43—68) extended his point streak to 5 GP. Only four players have recorded more points in their first season with the @NHLFlames.

Sergei Makarov (86 in 1989-90)
Doug Gilmour (85 in 1988-89)
Alex Tanguay (81 in 2006-07)
Mel Bridgman (75 in 1981-82)#NHLStats
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2019, 10:56 AM   #205
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

there's a good chance that he'll outscore his totals of the past two seasons. Had 27 goals and 89 points combined, but is on pace for almost 35 goals and 95 points this season. Unbelievable stuff.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2019, 10:58 AM   #206
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
There's more where that came from, my friend. You'll see.
From your lips to gods ears. If Treliving can score another contract/ break out player like lindholm then he will be the greatest flames gm ever.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 01:16 PM   #207
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Randomly stumbled across the fact that Elias Lindholm won the 2018/2019 Viking Award - which, according to Wikipedia is:

The Viking Award is awarded annually to the best Swedish ice hockey player in North America. The winner is decided by a vote among all Swedish-born players participating in the NHL or the NHL farm-team leagues. Only Mats Sundin has received the award four times. Peter Forsberg, Markus Näslund, Börje Salming, Henrik Zetterberg and Erik Karlsson have received it three times.

Link.

Not sure if it was posted elsewhere, but heck yeah Zebulon!
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 01:49 PM   #208
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

thats a cool find. 3rd Flame after Loob and Nilsson. an interesting list, including a father- son pair (Steens) and a WHA winner (Ulf Nilsson)

curious in the decision behind Patrik Sundstrom over Loob in 89 though..
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 02:21 PM   #209
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

How did Sundin win it more times than Forsberg?

Stupid ankles.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 02:27 PM   #210
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Randomly stumbled across the fact that Elias Lindholm won the 2018/2019 Viking Award - which, according to Wikipedia is:

The Viking Award is awarded annually to the best Swedish ice hockey player in North America. The winner is decided by a vote among all Swedish-born players participating in the NHL or the NHL farm-team leagues. Only Mats Sundin has received the award four times. Peter Forsberg, Markus Näslund, Börje Salming, Henrik Zetterberg and Erik Karlsson have received it three times.

Link.

Not sure if it was posted elsewhere, but heck yeah Zebulon!
This is excellent news, and well deserved! This clinches it; I'm getting a lindy retro red made.
Old 01-06-2020, 02:31 PM   #211
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crazy considering the year Hedman had last season. Goes to show the complete game Lindy has.
Samonadreau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 02:40 PM   #212
Dragomir
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Lindholm is our best player and someone you can win a Cup with. The Flames need more players like him which can only be acquired through the draft. I really hope we keep our 1st this year.....
Dragomir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 02:45 PM   #213
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragomir View Post
Lindholm is our best player and someone you can win a Cup with. The Flames need more players like him which can only be acquired through the draft. I really hope we keep our 1st this year.....
Your 2nd sentence is clearly false as Lindholm was acquired by us outside the draft. You can trade Hamilton/Ferland/Fox for Hanifin/Lindholm. You can trade picks for Dougie Hamilton.

On the one hand you want us to keep the 1st. But on the other hand the 1st rounder might be one of the best assets we have to try and acquire another Lindholm. So shouldn't you be hoping we trade our 1st for another core forward?
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2020, 02:47 PM   #214
Jethro Choicebro
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Isn't that an odd thing to say about someone who we didn't acquire through the draft?

Agree on his importance to the team, though not sure as effective on the new line
Jethro Choicebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 02:50 PM   #215
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
How did Sundin win it more times than Forsberg?

Stupid ankles.
The crazy part is Nik Lidstrom only won it twice.

Not sure how you can win the Norris trophy 7 times but only win this twice.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2020, 03:09 PM   #216
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro Choicebro View Post
Isn't that an odd thing to say about someone who we didn't acquire through the draft?

Agree on his importance to the team, though not sure as effective on the new line
I was interested by this post because my inclination is in the opposite direction- I feel like he's been even more effective at centre and with Tkachuk.

I decided to go and look at the numbers. Not sure exactly when he was moved to second line C, but I think it was right before or after the Peters move. I decided to measure from Peter's departure (Nov. 27th)

17 GP, 5 G 9 A for 14 points (8 ES Points) and -7

Before:

27 GP, 11G 7 A for 18 points (12 ES Points)and -4

He's producing more or less the same ES rate and having worse luck defensively (though I suspect the matchups have gotten dramatically more difficult for him...)

So I guess we were both wrong- he's producing more or less the same. The key will be if this has helped Tkachuk's offensive production increase, or if Mony-Gaudreau can help someone else's (Backlund in this case...) Offensive production increase.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2020, 04:13 PM   #217
Jethro Choicebro
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I was interested by this post because my inclination is in the opposite direction- I feel like he's been even more effective at centre and with Tkachuk.
Good points. My comment was fully anecdotal but just seems as if he doesn't get the same quantity/quality of chances he did previously, though admittedly i'm likely in my head comparing to last year which is obviously flawed. Though does seem Backlund is now getting more chances - despite not doing anything with them. Again all anecdotal.

Looking at the stats for the majority of this season is tough given how up and down they've been, and generally not very good.

Regardless, him playing center is pivotal, though always felt Lindholm/Johnny and Tkachuk/Monny would pair better
Jethro Choicebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 04:17 PM   #218
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do they have a different award for goalies? Surprised not to see Lundqvist on that list.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:31 PM   #219
Dragomir
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Your 2nd sentence is clearly false as Lindholm was acquired by us outside the draft. You can trade Hamilton/Ferland/Fox for Hanifin/Lindholm. You can trade picks for Dougie Hamilton.

On the one hand you want us to keep the 1st. But on the other hand the 1st rounder might be one of the best assets we have to try and acquire another Lindholm. So shouldn't you be hoping we trade our 1st for another core forward?
That trade is an anomaly in the NHL though, the majority of impact players are usually drafted and developed not traded for. We also gave up a huge piece in Hamilton for him so it wasn’t nearly as effective as it would’ve been if we drafted and developed Lindholm.
Dragomir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 05:47 PM   #220
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That trade is an anomaly in the NHL though, the majority of impact players are usually drafted and developed not traded for. We also gave up a huge piece in Hamilton for him so it wasn’t nearly as effective as it would’ve been if we drafted and developed Lindholm.
Didn't draft Hamilton either.

No, they didn't draft Lindholm. They drafted some kid who's scored 186 goals and just shy of 400 points in 6.5 years. I'd say they did OK in drafting him.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote