Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2019, 11:02 AM   #101
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
I thought I read before that the Flames actually liked Dubois most and if Backlund was the piece that was going out, this would make sense since Dubois would be the centre to replace Backlund.

Dubois was being compared to Iginla at the draft as a big tough power forward, but also one who plays centre.

I love Tkachuk, but I'd probably take Dubois over him just because of the whole centre thing.
Really? Dubois is a good young player, but Tkachuk is already one of the most dominant 200 foot players in the league and he is still on his entry level. He literally does everything well. No way I trade him for Dubois.

Tkachuk has 14 more points this year and plays on our second line. Dubois plays first line with Panarin and Atkinson. Both are on their teams respective top PP units.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2019, 11:18 AM   #102
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Treliving was probably just bluffing to make Edmonton think we wanted Puljujarvi really badly, just to help ensure they would take him.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2019, 11:44 AM   #103
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Really? Dubois is a good young player, but Tkachuk is already one of the most dominant 200 foot players in the league and he is still on his entry level. He literally does everything well. No way I trade him for Dubois.

Tkachuk has 14 more points this year and plays on our second line. Dubois plays first line with Panarin and Atkinson. Both are on their teams respective top PP units.
It's close for me. I think Tkachuk has the higher hockey IQ and intangibles, but Dubois is a centre and is a better skater.

Honestly, you ask me tommorow and i'll probably prefer Tkachuk. They are both great core pieces.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:50 AM   #104
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
Treliving was probably just bluffing to make Edmonton think we wanted Puljujarvi really badly, just to help ensure they would take him.
Trelieving went full Jedi mind trick on Chia.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Infinit47 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2019, 12:07 PM   #105
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post

Agreed. I would take Tkachuk over Laine everyday as well. Only Matthews is better from that draft.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:31 PM   #106
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
This is true - in fact, I also heard it said he was more ready than Laine. In hindsight, I think those who said that were only looking at size.
You'd have to be an Oiler scout to think Puljujärvi was more ready than Laine, IMO. At best you could have called them even, but I felt it was pretty clear that Laine was the sure bet and closer to ready, while Puljujärvi had the higher upside but had more questionmarks. (I have a vague memory that I'm paraphrasing myself from the draft thread back in the day.)
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2019, 10:10 PM   #107
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

From what I remember Laine was lighting it up and a major contributor in the playoffs in his league. Puljujarvi was getting like third line minutes. Laine was the clear superior player.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 01:15 AM   #108
Phagoof
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinit47 View Post
Trelieving went full Jedi mind trick on Chia.
Phagoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 01:21 AM   #109
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
From what I remember Laine was lighting it up and a major contributor in the playoffs in his league. Puljujarvi was getting like third line minutes. Laine was the clear superior player.
That world juniors where that Finnish top line had their comming our party. And everyone thought the chopped liver side thought was their center who was already drafted by Carolina, can’t remember the name but some A-hole
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 01:23 AM   #110
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’m going to answer this, that almost happened scenario the same way I answer my wife when she brings up “what could have happened”.

But it didn’t so it doesn’t matter and it worked out just fine!
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 05:58 AM   #111
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
Puljujärvi put up 9 points in 10 games in those playoffs. He was also playing with an injured foot that was only operated after the U18-championships.

That injury was also why he wasn't chosen for the adult world championship team, why he didn't play all the games in the playoffs and why his minutes were kept low. But he was still a major contributor.

In the U18 he btw scored a hat trick in the final to help Finland get the gold, while also playing with a hand that was obviously still hurting badly from a ridiculous tomahawk chop he'd gotten from team USA in the semifinal, and that bad foot that was still waiting for an operation. I remember watching that game and thinking what a warrior the guy was, he was so obviously in pain all through the game.

Puljujärvi had a great spring. Laine ALSO had a great spring, scoring 10 goals and fifteen points in 18 games to help Tappara to the national championship.

Last edited by Itse; 01-26-2019 at 06:00 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:00 AM   #112
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Laine lead his team in scoring in the playoffs and had double the amount of goals as the next highest scorer. About 30% of his teams playoff goals. He was scoring game winners and a major factor in their success. He was also top goal scorer at the World Championships that year and tournament MVP. Regardless of what Puljujarvi did or didnt do I dont think any GM in the league would have taken Puljujarvi over Laine.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote