Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-24-2020, 02:39 PM   #5501
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
For me I was referencing Alberta Phase 2 restrictions as not affecting me. I was separating policy from consequences of the pandemic where I change my own behaviour as a result of risk.

- So no I don’t have 50+ person social gatherings within my home
- kids in sport with the 50 person cohorts worked reasonably well.
- kids are in school normally
- Parents is a pandemic problem, not a policy one.

International Travel is more of a winter thing for me so didn’t notice that this summer but will affect me this year. But with the new rules that is now a personal risk issue rather than a policy issue.
I’ve been following recommended protocols not to have people from more than two households in my home. Between tabletop gaming, dinner parties, etc. we normally had 2-3 such social events a month. Not to mention birthdays, Thanksgiving, etc. Besides a couple BBQs in the summer where everyone stayed outside, we have hosted (or attended) no social events since March.

With the cancellation of school sports, my daughter missed track and field in the spring and volleyball in the fall. I expect she’ll miss basketball in the winter too. Rec basketball resumed briefly for a few weeks with no actual teams or games, but has been suspended again. My son’s karate hasn’t been held since March.

My kids have socialized with other kids far less, as there are only a couple kids we let hang out here, and many parents do not let any kids into their homes.

My mom, a very socially active senior who has recently been diagnosed with dementia, is home watching TV seven days a week. Once a month she goes to lunch with a couple friends, but even that’s winding down. She goes with my wife to Costco twice a month out of desperation to get out among people.

Aside from a handful of times on the back deck over the summer, my kids have not seen their grandparents - who they are otherwise accustomed to seeing weekly. And of course my parents and in-laws don’t get to enjoy seeing their grandkids either, something which was the high point of their weeks.

That’s not even getting into putting my dad into a longterm care facility.

I understand not all of these measures are prescribed by law. But I’m trying to be a good citizen and responsible parent/son and follow all recommended social distancing measures. And it has had a dramatic and negative impact on the life of me and my family.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 11-24-2020 at 02:48 PM.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2020, 02:50 PM   #5502
PaperBagger'14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post
Fantastic news, I hope they start to nail those who test positive and go out in public
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2020, 02:54 PM   #5503
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Our level of lockdown really depends if you're referring to policy, or societal movement and actions. From a policy perspective, we certainly are not relatively locked down. At an individual level, most people are self-imposing lockdown type measures.

I've been in a moderate state of "lockdown" since day one. Others have been doing absolutely everything they are allowed to do. Others still are probably locking down much more strictly than I have.

But what "we" refers to, really depends. I'd hesitate to say "we" are doing this, and then name some subjective level of personal lockdown.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 03:15 PM   #5504
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
It’s interesting that your perception is that we are relatively locked down right now. My perception (prior to the fitness and sports changes) was that outside of large scale gatherings there is almost no change to my day to day life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Presumably you're someone who doesn't do a lot of socializing in your home. Or have kids in sports. Or have both kids and elderly parents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I’ve been following recommended protocols not to have people from more than two households in my home. Between tabletop gaming, dinner parties, etc. we normally had 2-3 such social events a month. Not to mention birthdays, Thanksgiving, etc. Besides a couple BBQs in the summer where everyone stayed outside, we have hosted (or attended) no social events since March.

With the cancellation of school sports, my daughter missed track and field in the spring and volleyball in the fall. I expect she’ll miss basketball in the winter too. Rec basketball resumed briefly for a few weeks with no actual teams or games, but has been suspended again. My son’s karate hasn’t been held since March.

My kids have socialized with other kids far less, as there are only a couple kids we let hang out here, and many parents do not let any kids into their homes.

My mom, a very socially active senior who has recently been diagnosed with dementia, is home watching TV seven days a week. Once a month she goes to lunch with a couple friends, but even that’s winding down. She goes with my wife to Costco twice a month out of desperation to get out among people.

Aside from a handful of times on the back deck over the summer, my kids have not seen their grandparents - who they are otherwise accustomed to seeing weekly. And of course my parents and in-laws don’t get to enjoy seeing their grandkids either, something which was the high point of their weeks.

That’s not even getting into putting my dad into a longterm care facility.

I understand not all of these measures are prescribed by law. But I’m trying to be a good citizen and responsible parent/son and follow all recommended social distancing measures. And it has had a dramatic and negative impact on the life of me and my family.
Yeah but this doesn't really make sense when following the conversation.

This is a global pandemic. It sucks. We know it sucks. You've taken measures to protect your family. What's your point? We're still not locked down.

My grandmother is in a care facility and still goes out once a week. She has to mask up and make sure she stays socially distanced but she gets to go out. Then again she's relatively healthy and limits her excursions to a the same friend each week and never in a group. Is your mother at high risk?

My nephews have continued to play sports. Up until last week only 1 parent was allowed in the hockey arena. We went public skating as a family a couple weeks ago. Masks optional (which pissed me off but whatever, they limited it to pre-registered people with a max of 24 slots and my whole family wore masks, I am choosing to no longer go since they didn't require masks).

My nephews have seen their grandparents regularly all summer. We are all part of the same cohort but different households. We made a choice that we would continue to see each other and have only stopped when required to do so by the new restrictions (in BC this just started last week again, no more family dinners).

We have had a ton of outdoor activities all summer and fall. Except travel, it didn't affect us much, although we chose not to go to the beach/lake except when we went boating alone as a family. Or we limited beach time to remote beaches on weekdays when there was no one around. But that was a choice. The beaches were open. Tons of hiking and walks were available except certain trails that became one way and required distancing. When we were concerned about traffic, we just avoided those trails.

Now that it is winter our options are somewhat limited. My parents nor I are having friends over for dinner or going out with friends. That is a choice. Many places are open. We have also chosen not to travel but know multiple people that are and I've seen numerous posts on CP with similar plans.

So what government imposed lockdown is bothering you again? Or is your choices to keep your family safe that you're complaining about? It's a pandemic. What else would you like to happen?

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 11-24-2020 at 03:18 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2020, 03:53 PM   #5505
woob
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
So what government imposed lockdown is bothering you again? Or is your choices to keep your family safe that you're complaining about? It's a pandemic. What else would you like to happen?
That's just it; the choices we've been making are definitely impacting our lifestyle, but there hasn't been much mandated by the government that has ever had me feeling like we were locked down. Earlier in the pandemic, maybe. But now? Not at all.

And I think that's part of the problem right now; people are very free to make choices to travel, congregate with large groups of friends, sit in Churches, etc. People are free to hold 70 person weddings where 3/4 of the people contract the virus. People are free to go on camping trips with their friend group where one selfish individual shows up with symptoms despite being in the middle of a pandemic.

Our family has made some choices which have definitely made our lives different from last year, but we've still done inter-provincial travel, stayed in AirBnBs, had small family visits (under 7) and worn masks during some of those visits with older family.

Pandemic changes to daily life in Alberta right now is not a lockdown. But I hope we get something that resembles one soon.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2020, 05:19 PM   #5506
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

10 mins to go before the disappointments let us down again.
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 05:24 PM   #5507
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
10 mins to go before the disappointments let us down again.
Disappointments! Get yer disappointments here! Step right up!
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 05:25 PM   #5508
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

5 minute warning!

Torture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 05:26 PM   #5509
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

I can't believe what he's saying, wtf. I'm moving from this province. Maybe the country. Maybe the planet.
Looch City is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 05:27 PM   #5510
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can I watch this on TV or is it only livestreamed online?

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is online now   Reply With Quote