Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2020, 03:45 PM   #81
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1280256140337651714
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:49 PM   #82
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1280257005958152192
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 04:37 PM   #83
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I think there is a possibility if next season goes ahead without fans, the professional sports business could be changed forever. The live experience may go the way of the dodo, just like everything else in society. More and more people shop, work and date from home these days. More and more inclined to be shut in from the world with access to everything at home. A couple of seasons of sports on TV only could give sports a big push in that direction.
Nah

You don't uphold your fandom for your teams over decades to suddenly decide after a couple fan-less seasons watched from home that you dont want to go drink and cheer in person with your friends if it's safe to do so once again.

People are wired to connect and be social, and to go experience things. Games offer that. Fans won't just up and decide that it was overrated anyways.

Protocols might be changed forever but the events themselves are not going to go extinct. Just put on hold for a year or two.

People are going to travel and gather their asses off when we move past this to make up for it all, and people that facilitate those things are going to make bank in a couple years.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 05:02 PM   #84
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

The things that will likely go the way of the Dodo are things that never really had a point in the first place, but even those will be slow.

Working from home, online shopping, watching a movie from home instead of the theatre. Largely solo tasks that can easily be done at home and were already trending that way are the things with the highest risk of vanishing, and even that will still take a while. Live sports isn't going anywhere, it's a completely different beast than silently sitting in a dark theatre and not talking to anyone for two hours while drinking a $10 soda.

Sporting events are more like concerts. Seeing them live is a different experience.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 06:39 PM   #85
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
The things that will likely go the way of the Dodo are things that never really had a point in the first place, but even those will be slow.

Working from home, online shopping, watching a movie from home instead of the theatre. Largely solo tasks that can easily be done at home and were already trending that way are the things with the highest risk of vanishing, and even that will still take a while. Live sports isn't going anywhere, it's a completely different beast than silently sitting in a dark theatre and not talking to anyone for two hours while drinking a $10 soda.

Sporting events are more like concerts. Seeing them live is a different experience.
And it's not like those who can afford super expensive season tickets aren't ever going to go to the games again anymore. There may be some who may be feeling the pinch a bit, so they may not renew, but still will purchase single game tickets here and there. But the majority will still return. And those who go to individual games, will continue to keep doing that.

Major sports leagues that have high interest are going to be fine on the other side of this. Stadiums and arenas will still get filled up fully.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:13 PM   #86
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

per TSN recapture penalty has been capped:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-nhlpa-on-verg...ug-1-1.1492767

Quote:
> Cap recapture limit: For all players subject to a cap recapture penalty, the maximum salary cap charge moving forward will be the players’ normal salary cap hit.

Example: If retired prior to the 2025-26 season, the Nashville Predators (the team that signed him to the deal and enjoyed the benefit of his cap hit being well below the actual dollars paid to him those years) were scheduled to be on the hook for a $24.6 million salary cap penalty.

Now, under the new terms of the CBA, that amount would be limited to Weber’s normal cap hit of $7.86 million in any one season - but it would continue to be charged for three full seasons until the cap ‘benefit’ is paid back.

This only affects a small number of contracts still active: (Chicago), (Washington), and (Minnesota), (Pittsburgh), (Los Angeles), and (Los Angeles).
also max ELC contract has been increased:

Quote:
> Rookie pay bump: For the first time since 2005, rookies will be able to earn slightly more on their entry-level contracts. Individual performance "A" bonus maximums will increase from $850,000 to $1 million per year.

The new maximum any player can earn in any single year of his entry-level contract will be $3.925 million if all attainable bonuses are triggered.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:17 PM   #87
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
per TSN recapture penalty has been capped:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-nhlpa-on-verg...ug-1-1.1492767

also max ELC contract has been increased:
It makes sense because no team would be able have a cap hit of $24.6 million for a player who is not even on their roster. They'd have to have a fire sale and then ice a bunch of ELCs and league minimum contract AHL tweeners just to stay under the cap.

The full cap hit though for those 3 years (in Weber's case) will still hurt a ton, as it should.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:24 PM   #88
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
It makes sense because no team would be able have a cap hit of $24.6 million for a player who is not even on their roster. They'd have to have a fire sale and then ice a bunch of ELCs and league minimum contract AHL tweeners just to stay under the cap.

The full cap hit though for those 3 years (in Weber's case) will still hurt a ton, as it should.
It does make sense, but some of us would enjoy seeing the chaos it would bring.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 08:28 PM   #89
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I'd like to hear why?

As an avid hiker that can see the mountain landscape from my deck I just can't see what edmonton can offer to make it a more enticing summer place, aside from slightly warmer evenings.

Maybe for people with more urban lifestyles that appreciate festivals, since edmonton supposedly tries its darndest to overcompensate for having no greatest outdoor show on earth with multiple inferior ones.
I'm team Calgary all the way, but I do find our 'mountains so close' arguments a bit funny since it speaks to something not actually in our city (though I'll take your point about the mountain views). Most people visit the mountains 0-10 times a year.

As for Edmonton, I'd say the warmer evenings and generally more stable weather in the summer months. Of course they get T-storms and general rain, too, but in my limited 2 year sample size there it just seemed more stable and predictable.

I also found there is also a certain 'je ne sais quoi' in the air there in the summer that I don't find as much here...not sure how to explain it, though.

Of course, for the most part, E=NG.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:32 PM   #90
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

From what I've seen NSH fans have convinced themselves that somehow the league is going to let them off the hook for Weber, looks like there is no way they are getting away completely unscathed. I have a bit of sympathy since NSH didn't structure the contract but they enjoyed the benefit so that's the way she goes.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:38 PM   #91
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Frank Seravalli @frank_seravalli
Some additional points following today’s MOU agreement: 1) Players whose contract expires after 2020-21 are eligible to sign a contract exstension that begins in the 2021-22 season three days after the new CBA is ratified.

2) Players on teams that are not participating in 24-team format, plus players who opt-out of participating, will be eligible to sign contacts outside of North America - but will not be able to return to the #NHL for the 2020-21 season.

3) Players that sign new contracts for 2019-20 to burn year (potentially Romanov, Kaprizov, Sorokin) may not be paid a signing bonus for 2019-20 and cannot be paid 2020-21 signing bonus until November.

(They are also not eligible to participate in 24-team format.)

Some nuance to item 2) - the only players that wouldn’t be permitted to return for 2020-21 are players who opt-out. Players on the seven teams not in the tournament, then sign outside of NA, would still be eligible to return next season if offered a deal.

Last edited by sureLoss; 07-06-2020 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:24 PM   #92
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess they’re concerned of players using COVID as an excuse to say remain in Europe but then just go ahead and sign in a league there.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:39 PM   #93
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I'm team Calgary all the way, but I do find our 'mountains so close' arguments a bit funny since it speaks to something not actually in our city (though I'll take your point about the mountain views). Most people visit the mountains 0-10 times a year.

As for Edmonton, I'd say the warmer evenings and generally more stable weather in the summer months. Of course they get T-storms and general rain, too, but in my limited 2 year sample size there it just seemed more stable and predictable.

I also found there is also a certain 'je ne sais quoi' in the air there in the summer that I don't find as much here...not sure how to explain it, though.

Of course, for the most part, E=NG.
True, most people go to Banff as some special yearly occasion. They rarely use the mountains despite being so accessible and when they do, they're doing the most basic tour of things (downtown Canmore/Banff, bow falls or tunnel mountain - maybe Johnston Canyon, and even that is ambitious for most). You might as well be a tourist from Japan. And it's honestly too bad because there is SO MUCH more in the area than people realize, and it makes your life better just to experience some of these places and have it in the memory bank. Makes the days back in the city less dull.

But people tend to assume it's hard to get to all the cool spots and takes a long time and is physically taxing. It really isn't that bad though, only a few trails are too difficult for a healthy adult to conquer, and besides, the workout makes the destination all the more rewarding. A lot can be seen in just half a day out.

After making more or less a lifestyle out of getting out there, I can only be back in the city for so long. Spending the day in retail/grocery stores, line ups, and around street noise gets old, fast.

There's so much more to life and you won't find it living just for patio and netflix weekends.

We have one of the best backyards in the world, and it's absolutely a trump card over Edmonton, but granted only if you use it.

Evening warmth and stable weather is nice, I feel like things used to be more stable here in summer but maybe I'm misremembering.

Otherwise E is pretty No Good.

Last edited by djsFlames; 07-06-2020 at 09:41 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2020, 10:00 AM   #94
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
True, most people go to Banff as some special yearly occasion. They rarely use the mountains despite being so accessible and when they do, they're doing the most basic tour of things (downtown Canmore/Banff, bow falls or tunnel mountain - maybe Johnston Canyon, and even that is ambitious for most). You might as well be a tourist from Japan. And it's honestly too bad because there is SO MUCH more in the area than people realize, and it makes your life better just to experience some of these places and have it in the memory bank. Makes the days back in the city less dull.

But people tend to assume it's hard to get to all the cool spots and takes a long time and is physically taxing. It really isn't that bad though, only a few trails are too difficult for a healthy adult to conquer, and besides, the workout makes the destination all the more rewarding. A lot can be seen in just half a day out.

After making more or less a lifestyle out of getting out there, I can only be back in the city for so long. Spending the day in retail/grocery stores, line ups, and around street noise gets old, fast.

There's so much more to life and you won't find it living just for patio and netflix weekends.

We have one of the best backyards in the world, and it's absolutely a trump card over Edmonton, but granted only if you use it.

Evening warmth and stable weather is nice, I feel like things used to be more stable here in summer but maybe I'm misremembering.

Pretty good post, mostly.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Titan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2020, 05:41 PM   #95
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Which is probably for the best, doesn't seem like it added anything of value.

Renaud Lavoie @renlavoietva
This one is major in the new CBA: NHL UFA interview period won’t exist anymore.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2020, 05:43 PM   #96
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Which is probably for the best, doesn't seem like it added anything of value.

Renaud Lavoie @renlavoietva
This one is major in the new CBA: NHL UFA interview period won’t exist anymore.
I like this. Makes for a much more interesting July first. Instead of having the few days to think over deals it’s make one before it’s off the table to the other guy.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:43 PM   #97
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

So we go back to pretending the teams and players aren't talking early?
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2020, 12:40 AM   #98
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
So we go back to pretending the teams and players aren't talking early?
Yes and it brings back trading for UFA rights, although with the new rule of trade conditions not being able to contain "if signed" conditions, maybe not.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:47 AM   #99
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
Yes and it brings back trading for UFA rights, although with the new rule of trade conditions not being able to contain "if signed" conditions, maybe not.
They stopped those rules! Problem solved!
Old 07-10-2020, 07:10 PM   #100
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Yup, been working on getting my wife out. Every weekend we try and get out one or both days. We are so lucky to have K Country so close.
Deegee is online now   Reply With Quote