Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Best player to wear this number?
Michael Nylander 67 55.37%
Michael Nylander 54 44.63%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-08-2020, 08:58 AM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Covid Jersey Vote - Best #92 Flames History

#1 - Turek (Riggin)
#2 - MacInnis (Commodore)
#3 - Phaneuf (Musil)
#4 - McCrimmon (Bouwmeester)
#5 - Giordano (Albelin)
#6 - Housley (Sarich)
#7 - Mullen (Brodie)
#8 - Risebrough (Bure)
#9 - McDonald (no vote)
#10 - Roberts (McGrattan)
#11 - Backlund (Yelle)
#12 - Iginla (Loob)
#13 - Gaudreau (Cammalleri)
#14 - Fleury (Nilsson)
#15 - McCarthy (Simon)
#16 - Chouinard (Stillman)
#17 - Hrdina (Bourque)
#18 - Stajan (Lombardi)
#19 - Tkachuk (Hunter)
#20 - Suter (Huselius)
#21 - Ference (Jokinen)
#22 - Conroy (Langkow)
#23 - Monahan (Reinhart)
#24 - Peplinski (Hudler)
#25 - Nieuwendyk (Plett)
#26 - Reichel (Nilson)
#27 - Hamilton (Tonelli)
#28 - Regehr (Lindholm)
#29 - Otto (Engelland)
#30 - Vernon (Sauve!)
#31 - Lemelin (Tabaracci)
#32 - Lydman (Byron)
#33 - Wilson (Rittich)
#34 - Kiprusoff (Macoun)
#35 - Reese (Grimson)
#36 - Petrovicky (Rinaldo)
#37 - McAmmond (Kidd)
#38 - Cowan (Lakovic)
#39 - Gilmour (Talbot)
#40 - Tanguay (Brathwaite)
#41 - M. Smith (Boyd)
#42 - Makarov (B. Sutter)
#43 - B. Evans (L. Kohn)
#44 - Warrener (Niedermayer)
#45 - Lundmark (J. Lemieux)
#46 - St. Louis (J. Morgan)
#47 - Baertschi (Giguere)
#48 - Nemisz (Van Brabant)
#49 - Lombardi (Richie Regehr)
#50 - Sabourin (Torgaev)
#51 - Gagner (Horak)
#52 - Bollig (N/A)
#53 - Morris (Gaudreau)
#54 - R. Andersson (D. Jones)
#55 - Ramage (Hanifin)
#56 - Gustafsson (Lomberg)
#57 - Bouma (Begin)
#58 - Kylington (Montador)
#59 - Reinhart (van der Gulik)
#60 - Granlund (Backlund)
#61 - Kulak (Negrin)
#62 - Nazarov (Fata)
#63 - Bennett (Peters)
#64 - Hathaway (N/A)
#65 - Elson (N/A)
#66 - Brodie (N/A)
#67 - Frolik (N/A)
#68 - Jagr (N/A)
#77 - Jankowski (N/A)
#79 - Ferland (N/A)
#80 - Gawdin (N/A)
#86 - Jooris (N/A)
#88 - Mangiapane (N/A)
#89 - Quine (N/A)
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:59 AM   #2
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Part of a huge trade ...

March 10, 1994: Traded to Calgary by Hartford with James Patrick and Zarley Zalapski for Gary Suter, Paul Ranheim and Ted Drury.

Then part of a minor one ...

January 19, 1999: Traded to Tampa Bay by Calgary for Andrei Nazarov.
Old 06-08-2020, 09:06 AM   #3
Tabaracci_31
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Part of a huge trade ...

March 10, 1994: Traded to Calgary by Hartford with James Patrick and Zarley Zalapski for Gary Suter, Paul Ranheim and Ted Drury.

I totally forgot that Nylander was here until ‘99. In my mind, he was gone much sooner. I looked back and saw he spent the 96-97 season in Switzerland. It’s all coming clear to me now...
Tabaracci_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 09:08 AM   #4
Tabaracci_31
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

By the way, was the Nylander trade well-received by Flames fans? It was just before my time as a fan.
Tabaracci_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 09:14 AM   #5
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

It was tough.

It was another moving key pieces of a team that should have won at least two cups but didn't deal.

As it turned out though the Flames got five years each from the three players, while Suter was moved quickly to Chicago for next to nothing, Drury only played 50 games in Hartford and was lost on waivers, and Ranheim never got back to his Calgary production level.

Easy win for the Flames, but a loss of another storied player in Suter.

I can remember thinking the Flames were cup bound for sure as Suter always missed the cup runs and was traded. Could have been too if they didn't lose three straight overtime games to Vancouver.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2020, 09:15 AM   #6
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Part of a huge trade ...

Hated both trades. Suter was clearly the best player in the trade. Flames traded Gary suterbecause the changing salary structure of the league and the falling Canadian dollar meant they knew they couldn’t keep both Suter and MacInnis when their contracts came up for renewal. So they gave up Suter saying the rationale was that they could afford to sign MacInnis the following year. Then, when MacInnis was going to get $3 million/yr long term from St Louis they decided thay couldn’t afford it and traded him for Housley (a year later MacInnis’ St Louis contract would have been a bargain for the Flames). So they ended up with neither Suter nor MacInnis.

In spite of the above, I liked Nylander, and thought that trading him away for Nazarov was another loss.
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve Bozek For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2020, 10:47 AM   #7
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

This trade just added to the dark days ahead that had already been established. If we would have kept Al then its a different feeling likely
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:57 AM   #8
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bozek View Post
Hated both trades. Suter was clearly the best player in the trade. Flames traded Gary suterbecause the changing salary structure of the league and the falling Canadian dollar meant they knew they couldn’t keep both Suter and MacInnis when their contracts came up for renewal. So they gave up Suter saying the rationale was that they could afford to sign MacInnis the following year. Then, when MacInnis was going to get $3 million/yr long term from St Louis they decided thay couldn’t afford it and traded him for Housley (a year later MacInnis’ St Louis contract would have been a bargain for the Flames). So they ended up with neither Suter nor MacInnis.

In spite of the above, I liked Nylander, and thought that trading him away for Nazarov was another loss.
Agreed.

From a best player in the trade standpoint Calgary loses.

Any one know why Suter moved on to Chicago without playing a game in Hartford? And for such a weak return?
Old 06-08-2020, 11:18 AM   #9
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I loved getting Nylander at the time, because I viewed him as having tremendous skill. But it just never came together for him. I thought, at the time, that he would be part of the new core that would drive the club forward.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 11:34 AM   #10
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

He pulled a Lucy with the football on the greasers so he'll always have a place in my heart.

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/oile...ander/c-429952
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 11:34 AM   #11
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Agreed.

From a best player in the trade standpoint Calgary loses.

Any one know why Suter moved on to Chicago without playing a game in Hartford? And for such a weak return?
I know Daryl wasn' t the GM here but you can just hear his voice and know he loved it
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...146-story.html

Suter had just been traded to Hartford from Calgary the day before, and Sutter said it was a three-way deal all the way.
"(Pulford) wasn't able to make the deal with Calgary," he said, "so he had somebody else do it for him."
Said Pulford: "Suter's a very good offensive defenseman as well as being a good defenseman. He should help our power play and make our team better."
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2020, 12:15 PM   #12
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
I know Daryl wasn' t the GM here but you can just hear his voice and know he loved it
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...146-story.html

Suter had just been traded to Hartford from Calgary the day before, and Sutter said it was a three-way deal all the way.
"(Pulford) wasn't able to make the deal with Calgary," he said, "so he had somebody else do it for him."
Said Pulford: "Suter's a very good offensive defenseman as well as being a good defenseman. He should help our power play and make our team better."
Every single player from that 89 team was traded for nothing right away, or eventually turned into nothing in subsequent trades. We were set up for a whole decade in 1990 but Reisbrough was trying to set the record for transforming a champion into a pile of ash as quickly as possible. It was actually pretty impressive how much of a hard on he had for losing trades.

Mega sports contracts with no cap would've screwed us in the end but players could still have been traded for value ffs. It's like every trade in the 90s was made with the sole intention of ruining the team now and going forward.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 12:31 PM   #13
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
Every single player from that 89 team was traded for nothing right away, or eventually turned into nothing in subsequent trades. We were set up for a whole decade in 1990 but Reisbrough was trying to set the record for transforming a champion into a pile of ash as quickly as possible. It was actually pretty impressive how much of a hard on he had for losing trades.

Mega sports contracts with no cap would've screwed us in the end but players could still have been traded for value ffs. It's like every trade in the 90s was made with the sole intention of ruining the team now and going forward.
I know it wasn't Riser but I assume you aren't referring to the trade of #25...who I suppose eventually turned into nothing, but that took awhile (ditto 14 I guess)

your sad point still stands more or less
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 12:42 PM   #14
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
I know it wasn't Riser but I assume you aren't referring to the trade of #25...who I suppose eventually turned into nothing, but that took awhile (ditto 14 I guess)

your sad point still stands more or less
It's hard to give Coates too much credit for Iginla. He wanted Todd Harvey and had to settle iirc.

Fleury should've got Tanguay not Regehr as much as Reggie was a beaut. Belak and Corbet were nothing. Both the Fleury and Nieuwendyk trades could've very easily been disasters. Luckily Sutter fixed Regehr when he came along. People forget that Regehr wasn't looking too hot until Sutter got ahold of him.

Flames were as allergic to trading for draft picks then as they are now.

Last edited by Fire of the Phoenix; 06-08-2020 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-08-2020, 01:59 PM   #15
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tanguay wasn't one of the players made available.
The Flames asked for him but were given a choice between Regehr, Scott Parker, Martin Skoula and Ramzi Abid.

The deals that hurt the Flames badly was when they dumped quality players for nothing, primarily for financial reasons.
Mullen, Gilmour, Hrdina, Sarge, etc. Coupled that with generally bad drafting and you have what you have.
Old 06-08-2020, 02:00 PM   #16
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It's hard to give Coates too much credit for Iginla. He wanted Todd Harvey and had to settle iirc.

Fleury should've got Tanguay not Regehr as much as Reggie was a beaut. Belak and Corbet were nothing. Both the Fleury and Nieuwendyk trades could've very easily been disasters. Luckily Sutter fixed Regehr when he came along. People forget that Regehr wasn't looking too hot until Sutter got ahold of him.

Flames were as allergic to trading for draft picks then as they are now.
Roberts for Giguere was another good trade, but unlike Regehr, Giguere didn't turn it on until he was shipped out.
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 02:04 PM   #17
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Tanguay wasn't one of the players made available.
The Flames asked for him but were given a choice between Regehr, Scott Parker, Martin Skoula and Ramzi Abid.

The deals that hurt the Flames badly was when they dumped quality players for nothing, primarily for financial reasons.
Mullen, Gilmour, Hrdina, Sarge, etc. Coupled that with generally bad drafting and you have what you have.
Then find another trade partner. A top 5 player in franchise history should return more than a team's defensive dman prospect and some junk. They were lucky it actually worked out. One of the few things this franchise has done right in the last 30 years is hire Sutter as a coach.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2020, 02:10 PM   #18
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointman View Post
Roberts for Giguere was another good trade, but unlike Regehr, Giguere didn't turn it on until he was shipped out.
Roberts was a bandaid but was also coming off a season were he willed the flames into the playoffs with Fleury. They eventually lost giguere. My point was all the players from 89 were turned into nothing eventually.

Roberts to giguere to nothing.

Nieuwendyk to iginla to nothing

Fleury to Regehr to nothing

MacInnis to housley to nothing

Suter for zalapski patrick then nothing

Gilmour for nothing

Mullen for nothing

Vernon for chiasson for nothing

The poor asset management of this franchise goes back decades. Its depressing.

Why no 1sts? Why did we always wait too long or settle. Seriously that 89 team should've set us up into the 2000s

Last edited by Fire of the Phoenix; 06-08-2020 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-08-2020, 02:14 PM   #19
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Then find another trade partner. A top 5 player in franchise history should return more than a team's defensive dman prospect and some junk. They were lucky it actually worked out. One of the few things this franchise has done right in the last 30 years is hire Sutter as a coach.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
I mean they acquired a guy who probably ranks as a top 5 dmen in this franchise's history and played over 1000 NHL games.
Can we not count that as a win?
They still had to pick him over 3 other guys - they made the right choice.
Frankly for me I rank Regehr over Tanguay as an NHLer.
Old 06-08-2020, 02:16 PM   #20
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Even Reichel for Marty McInnis was so stupid

We have literally been on the losing end of 95% of trades in 30 years. How is that even possible?