Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2020, 07:23 PM   #21
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Let the UFA's walk, get Kylington for close to his QO. Don't sign anyone till training camp and if you do its 1 million or less one year deals
Old 06-07-2020, 07:27 PM   #22
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whoever is cheaper and/or signs less term between Brodie and Gustafsson.

I think a stay at home RHD UFA signing and Yelsin can switch off with being the 6th/7th D.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:28 PM   #23
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames have to think about expansion. Right now it is clear Gio, Anderson and Hanifin are the 3 protected. If Valimaki plays this spring and exposes himself I believe Hanifin is going to be traded.

If the Flames are in a spot where they have to expose Gio they either pay to have Seattle take someone else or watch as Gio is picked and likely named the first captain of Seattle.

Brodie and Hamonic will want big raises. I think Hamonic is a lock for the Jets who have a need and likely will spend a little more. Brodie might want to move out East but he is looking for a $6M AAV. Maybe the Flames can keep him but I have my doubts.

I am not sure any of the UFA’s returns. Maybe Stone or Forbort for depth?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:29 PM   #24
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Whoever it is that they add on D I hope they have some snarl in their game.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:25 PM   #25
getoverit
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Why would you have to protect a 38 yr old in expansion draft? Gio will be 38 next Oct. no need to protect him IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Flames have to think about expansion. Right now it is clear Gio, Anderson and Hanifin are the 3 protected. If Valimaki plays this spring and exposes himself I believe Hanifin is going to be traded.

If the Flames are in a spot where they have to expose Gio they either pay to have Seattle take someone else or watch as Gio is picked and likely named the first captain of Seattle.

Brodie and Hamonic will want big raises. I think Hamonic is a lock for the Jets who have a need and likely will spend a little more. Brodie might want to move out East but he is looking for a $6M AAV. Maybe the Flames can keep him but I have my doubts.

I am not sure any of the UFA’s returns. Maybe Stone or Forbort for depth?
getoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to getoverit For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2020, 08:29 PM   #26
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I love Gio, but it would be a huge mistake imo to protect him and leave a good young d-man exposed in the expansion draft. I know he's the captain and everything, but you gotta think about the future.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2020, 08:30 PM   #27
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoverit View Post
Why would you have to protect a 38 yr old in expansion draft? Gio will be 38 next Oct. no need to protect him IMO
He will almost certainly be the Flames selection for the expansion draft then. Guy is 36 still by far our best D and highly regarded across the league. I don’t think the organization puts themselves in a position where they must leave him unprotected. I think the only way that happens is of Kylington takes a massive step and forces their hand.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:32 PM   #28
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Where is Gudas slotting in the Caps lineup this season?
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:36 PM   #29
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Gudas would be a great signing as a #6 guy IMO. Lots depends on what the approach is in the off season, if any of the current D get dealt it changes everything. Pietrangelo would be amazing but a pipedream.
He would be a good fit.
But if anyone is a candidate to be overpaid and have a terrible contract, it's him. Players like him are overpaid all the time and regress more acutely than anyone.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:56 PM   #30
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess it depends if he's highly sought after. Lets hope no one offers him a crazy contract and the Flames can get him at a reasonable rate. He's at 2.345 and he's 30. I would give him a 2 or 3 year deal between 3 and 4. I think he's the kind of guy (on ice) that we expected Hamonic to be. The guy is crazy and I think you need that on the team, it keeps the other team honest.

If he want's more than 3 years or more than 4 mil, let someone else have him.
Old 06-07-2020, 09:14 PM   #31
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
I love Gio, but it would be a huge mistake imo to protect him and leave a good young d-man exposed in the expansion draft. I know he's the captain and everything, but you gotta think about the future.
I don't know if leaving your best d man exposed is great asset management even considering ages. While the future is important you still need to think short term and losing your best d man when you could have lost your 4th best is pretty much writing off the next season or two.

If you are really thinking about the future you'd trade Gio for futures then use his spot to protect another young d man.
Old 06-07-2020, 09:32 PM   #32
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Push hard to re-sign Brodie. It would be a shame to let a homegrown, quality top 3 dman go for nothing. Maybe he's not interested but guys like gustafsson, forbort, hamonic, and gudas are all bottom pairing depth guys who can't carry Brodie's jock. D like Brodie are actually kind of rare and expensive to acquire. Really want to see him stay. He skates so well and is so smart I think he ages well so a long term contract wouldn't be a bad idea.

I am doubtful on Hanifin's trajectory, I'd look to move him while he still has good value. Looking like a decent 4/5 and nothing more though he's still young. You just don't want to get caught holding the bag. You could probably get an older 4/5 for him right now + top 6 forward. I just don't see the hype with him at all.

We need to keep Brodie or we will take a step back imo. It might be different if Valimaki wasn't a question mark. I'd like to see him and Kylington on pair 3, but to expect more from him (ie top 4) would be putting the cart before the horse. Whatever BT does, hopefully there's no more older, expensive, low ceiling vets in depth positions.

Brad has his work cut out for him if Brodie isnt coming back. The D looks pretty thin without him. Gio is aging, Hanifin is stagnant, Valimaki is a question mark at this point, Kylington is an enigma and then there is a bunch of depth UFAs to sift through, guys who will probably all be out of the NHL in 2-3 years. Thankfully Andersson looks good, he might be our saving grace if he has more to give.

Without Brodie we only have three top 4 dmen and that's if you count Hanifin who I find to be just kind of 'there', doing just enough to occupy a roster spot . Skating seems like it's his only plus attribute.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire of the Phoenix For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2020, 09:37 PM   #33
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
Push hard to re-sign Brodie. It would be a shame to let a homegrown, quality top 3 dman go for nothing. Maybe he's not interested but guys like gustafsson, forbort, hamonic, and gudas are all bottom pairing depth guys who can't carry Brodie's jock. D like Brodie are actually kind of rare and expensive to acquire. Really want to see him stay. He skates so well and is so smart I think he ages well so a long term contract wouldn't be a bad idea.

I am doubtful on Hanifin's trajectory, I'd look to move him while he still has good value. Looking like a decent 4/5 and nothing more though he's still young. You just don't want to get caught holding the bag. You could probably get an older 4/5 for him right now + top 6 forward. I just don't see the hype with him at all.

We need to keep Brodie or we will take a step back imo. It might be different if Valimaki wasn't a question mark. I'd like to see him and Kylington on pair 3, but to expect more from him (ie top 4) would be putting the cart before the horse. Whatever BT does, hopefully there's no more older, expensive, low ceiling vets in depth positions.

Brad has his work cut out for him if Brodie isnt coming back. The D looks pretty thin without him. Gio is aging, Hanifin is stagnant, Valimaki is a question mark at this point, Kylington is an enigma and then there is a bunch of depth UFAs to sift through, guys who will probably all be out of the NHL in 2-3 years. Thankfully Andersson looks good, he might be our saving grace if he has more to give.

Without Brodie we only have three top 4 dmen and that's if you count Hanifin who I find to be just kind of 'there', doing just enough to occupy a roster spot . Skating seems like it's his only plus attribute.

Hanifin needs a full season with Rasmus before I make any judgements on him and his future. He was much better once he got off that pairing with Hamonic.
Lil Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lil Pedro For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2020, 09:43 PM   #34
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
There is no doubt at all in my mind that Valimaki will supplant Hanifin next year. I have such a strong feeling about this. He was so, so good when he made the team out of camp as a 19-year-old. If he's fully healthy by the time 2020-21 rolls around, he'll be darn good.
Missing a full year of development might hurt. I don't think we want to make the decision on the basis of him supplanting Hanifin next year.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:00 PM   #35
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why would an expansion team take a 38 year old d-man...besides, if they did it would clear up lots of cap space.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:12 PM   #36
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Why would an expansion team take a 38 year old d-man...besides, if they did it would clear up lots of cap space.
The Knights took Engelland and it worked out very well for them. Let's not gift a new rival our captain.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:13 PM   #37
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
I too think Brodie leaving will hurt the team a lot more than I would like to admit. But I suspect that he will look to play out East where the travel is much easier on the players for his own personal health and that of his family. If there was a deal to be done I think it would be done by now.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 06-07-2020 at 10:15 PM.
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2020, 10:15 PM   #38
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Gio would be a phenomenal player to have as their first captain. If he is still playing at a high level he is also a player they can flip at the deadline for a 1st + as he will be in the final year of his deal.

They want to set a culture and players like Gio will fit that mold.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2020, 10:21 PM   #39
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Pedro View Post
Hanifin needs a full season with Rasmus before I make any judgements on him and his future. He was much better once he got off that pairing with Hamonic.
I can agree with that, he did look better with Rasmus. That being said, I think Rasmus would work well with many different players. Trading Hanifin could help shore up the top 6. Another bad season could kill Hanifin's value, which is something to consider.

I just think we are getting to the point where Hanifin needs to show something or we should move him. Andersson was able to on the 3rd pair and worked his way up the lineup as a result. Hanifin was just sort of handed a top 4 position out of default since the beginning. I think Andersson is a much better D at this point which is crazy considering draft position just a few years ago.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:25 PM   #40
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
I too think Brodie leaving will hurt the team a lot more than I would like to admit. But I suspect that he will look to play out East where the travel is much easier on the players for his own personal health and that of his family. If there was a deal to be done I think it would be done by now.
You are probably right. I just hope it's not a cap issue and Lucic and buyouts cost us our 2D. If he wants to move on, can't begrudge him for that.