Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2020, 04:07 PM   #241
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Here's one: Brett Kulak.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2020, 06:14 PM   #242
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Who cares about the cash, that didn't cost Philly any cups.

Peter Forsberg hadn't played a game in the NHL at that point so no one knew yet that he would become dominant. He wasn't traded as a draft pick, he was drafted the year before 6th overall after such all stars as Pat Falloon and Aaron Ward. If the Sharks had traded Falloon for Lindros would you be criticizing that? Falloon was the more highly regarded prospect at the time.

If Philly had kept Forsberg that wouldn't have made them any more of a cup contender. The Lindros trade certainly helped a lot but it wasn't what "built the team", what pushed Colorado over the top was the highway robbery that was the Roy trade combined with their already impressive depth from all of the high draft picks they had. If Lindros had joined Sakic and Roy on the Avalanche he would probably have as many cups as Forsberg did, possibly more. None of what you said makes Lindros over-rated IMO.
not a fan of Lindros but what an immense talent he was when he was healthy. not overrated at all in my opinion.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dirk diggler For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2020, 11:47 PM   #243
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

With Kevin Lowe’s hall of fame induction I think that settles the argument on the most overrated player ever.
Old 06-25-2020, 12:34 AM   #244
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WacoKid View Post

The draft pick they gave away became Peter Forsberg, arguably an equal or better player.

For the record, Forsberg was in the trade, he was not a draft choice.

It’s hard for a HOF to be overrated.

Perhaps his career didn’t quite live up to his immense promise when he was drafted due to injuries, but at no time during his playing career was he overrated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 12:35 AM   #245
CASe333
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I wasn't sure where to rant about the all time low reached today but this seems as good as any place. How did people passionate about hockey come to the conclusion Lowe should be considered a great? Looking back at his career and who he played with he was never more than a plug. Yes he was good enough to play with the best of the best but he has never been considered great at anything until now.

Thinking of more recent comparables Seabrook jumps to mind. Seabrook is valued as a good defensive dmen who has put up 1000+ games, has similar stats (actually quite a bit better) and I'd argue has been more clutch or contributed more to the blackhawks 3 cups. Does Seabrook belong in the HHOF? I woudn't have considered it but comparing him to Lowe I would consider him to be a lock.

Maybe Chris Kunitz should get in because he's won four stanley cups? I would love to hear the rationionalization I'm clearly missing.
CASe333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 01:01 AM   #246
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lowe and Wilson are both questionable.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 03:28 AM   #247
jessnuts
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
It’s hard for a HOF to be overrated.
“This aged well.”

- totally HOF worthy Kevin Lowe
jessnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:08 AM   #248
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessnuts View Post
“This aged well.”

- totally HOF worthy Kevin Lowe

I said “hard”, not impossible.

And for the record, outside of Calgary, Lowe had lots of support for being in the HOF.

Generally, when players are overrated, it’s because they bring decent offence with limited defensive and other abilities. You seldom see premium defensive d-men overrated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 11:30 AM   #249
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Staj was crapped on almost relentlessly during his tenure here, any notion that he was "overrated" is completely detached from primary sources. Having a letter is irrelevant to the calibre of player somebody is -- Stajan was (and still is) a huge pillar in the Calgary community and was one of the strongest heart-and-soul players I've ever seen in this city.
Before coming to Calgary, this board was like gloating over him like a Tim Horton's chocolate glazed jelly donut! That's why he was overrated and then everyone's overjoyed ego got totally deflated as the donut turned out to be stale and mouldy. Sorry man, anything coming from Toronto to Calgary IS NO GOOD!
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 11:33 AM   #250
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I looked through the whole thread and there's not one mention of Mike Peca - totally overrated with the ego the size of Jupiter. There's some mention on this board to get him in a trade for Iggy at some point? Yeah, right!
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 11:44 AM   #251
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

At the time I thought Lindros was vastly over hyped, same with Crosby, same with McJesus. Thats the league anointing the face of the league and literally every single thing is about them. So no, he wasn't over rated, just over hyped. You get sick of things when they're constantly thrown in your face, daily...hourly.

Looking back at what Lindros did prior to the concussions, tough to argue that if he had stayed healthy, he'd be top 5 all time. I am not a Lindros fan, never was, but there was literally none like him before and after and to this day. That size, that skill and that speed? Even an era change wouldn't have stopped him.

Flames Specific over rated player? Micheal Ferland. And it not even close. Like by several country miles.

Other over rated players? Tomas Kaberle. Scott Gomez.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2020, 11:57 AM   #252
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And for the record, outside of Calgary, Lowe had lots of support for being in the HOF.
Really?
From what I've seen the vast majority of other fanbases, and even a good chunk of oiler fans, think he's one of the weakest inductees ever. Lots of the oiler fans who support it are justifying it because other mediocre players are in and Lowe isn't the worst in their mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
At the time I thought Lindros was vastly over hyped, same with Crosby, same with McJesus. Thats the league anointing the face of the league and literally every single thing is about them. So no, he wasn't over rated, just over hyped. You get sick of things when they're constantly thrown in your face, daily...hourly.

Looking back at what Lindros did prior to the concussions, tough to argue that if he had stayed healthy, he'd be top 5 all time. I am not a Lindros fan, never was, but there was literally none like him before and after and to this day. That size, that skill and that speed? Even an era change wouldn't have stopped him.
I really disliked Lindros when he refused to report to Quebec, thought he was an entitled pr***
Then I saw him play, guy was a wrecking ball on skates with soft hands, could have been one of the greats.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote