Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 04:22 PM   #41
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they have clothes on then I'll take the good service, if they're naked then I'll take the good looking ones.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:29 PM   #42
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
If you apply for a job at Cowboys, you have to send a picture. These places are quite discriminatory in their hiring practices.

Heck, show me a 175lb+ girl works at Earl's in the front.
I worked at Earls Barlow when it opened...the manager at the time liked them curvy, maybe not 175+, but definitely with junk in their trunk.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:44 PM   #43
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another question - is there a limit to how hideous you will tolerate a server being granted they provide excellent service?

Just imagine the ugliest person imaginable serving you. You'd be disgusted by that person physically to the point of almost vomiting if you came across them on the street. But they're awesome at their job. Would you be turned off eating at that place?
Old 02-03-2014, 09:08 PM   #44
Goodlad
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm sure I'm going to be in the absolute minority here, but I hate when I get a really attractive server. I'm a very introverted person, and I've always struggled talking to attractive women. Honestly, if there are two lines at a checkout I will avoid the attractive checker and wait in the other line.

So I guess for me I'd much rather just have good service.
The Following User Says Thank You to Goodlad For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2014, 09:35 PM   #45
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

I love when I go have dinner with another guy at some of these places (date or not) and they give us the hot girl to try and impress us - trouble is I find when we don't ogle her or try and hit on her or make a fuss, our service ends up pretty poor.

Once I was with a friend at Joey's Barlow, and we started with the girl server, but after we ordered an appetizer, a guy took over and totally improved the whole experience. Kudos for realizing the audience and shifting appropriately.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:45 PM   #46
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My gf worked at Joeys years ago and she said there were times where a girl would come in looking for a job, and the manager would just look over at her and shake his head if she wasn't good looking enough. Then they'd tell her they weren't hiring. Classy establishment.
The Following User Says Thank You to sun For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2014, 10:00 PM   #47
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
This thread goes well with the retirement thread. Managing an Earls would be a nice job.
What about Hooters???
Old 02-03-2014, 10:52 PM   #48
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
Another question - is there a limit to how hideous you will tolerate a server being granted they provide excellent service?

Just imagine the ugliest person imaginable serving you. You'd be disgusted by that person physically to the point of almost vomiting if you came across them on the street. But they're awesome at their job. Would you be turned off eating at that place?
If they have oozing sores or leprosy or something then I guess so. If they have a crooked nose or a fat ass who cares. I'm more repulsed if they have tattoos on their face than if they are ugly.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:16 AM   #49
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Came in here expecting pics. Left disappointed
Old 02-04-2014, 04:59 AM   #50
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Perhaps it's that I've matured, perhaps it's that I have family in the industry, but I'll take good service over attractive any day of the week.

Do you really care how hot the waitress is when she screws up your order and rolls her eyes at you when you politely say that you ordered X and not Y?

I want a server that is friendly, prompt and gets the order right. If there's an issue let us know, open communication with the table is important. If I order drinks I do expect them in a timely manner. If there is a mistake I expect an apology at the very least.

I also want a server that's empathic and understanding. Some people have food allergies and issues. Don't be visably annoyed when people ask you about the ingredients. My wife can't eat seeds, we were at a restaurant and she asked if the buns had seeds on them and you'd think she insulted the server's mother.

Do I like having a hot server? Of course! Would I trade good service for a Hottie McHotHot? Nope.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Old 02-04-2014, 05:57 AM   #51
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I recall one instance in my life, about 9 years ago, where I ever tipped better, at least in part, because the server was attractive. She also provided amazing service, so it wasn't just the looks.

It was likely because I had just spent about 12 hours in a community hall in Edmonton filled with geeky, smelly guys all playing Magic the Gathering.

Now a days, I really don't care what the server looks like. I want her to put up with my kids and bring me my food.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:35 AM   #52
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

this story's relevant:

Quote:
Darren Hawker, 40, a former assistant general manager at Yorkdale Moxie's Classic Grill in Toronto, said he was directed by upper management to hire busty and thin applicants, regardless of whether or not they were qualified.

"If I wanted to hire someone the immediate question was about their look, if they had a nice ass or a decent rack," said Hawker, a 24-year restaurant industry veteran. "They had to have a good figure because that's what attracted the men in to come drink."

To be sure no 'uglies' even got an interview, Hawker said he and other front of house staff were directed to screen applicants coming through the door at Moxie's, and mark resumes with a "110" (one-ten) if they were unattractive. It's an internal code for "do not call," he said. (Put a diagonal line between the pair of ones and it forms 'NO'). Similar practices are allegedly in place at other restaurants across the country.
http://www.torontosun.com/life/2011/03/17/17656191.html

- Surferguy
Old 02-04-2014, 09:02 AM   #53
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
This thread goes well with the retirement thread. Managing an Earls would be a nice job.
That'd be a pretty bad job for retirement. Granted you get $90-$120k/year + bonuses but you're working 50 hours a week, dealing with idiot servers and rude customers all day. Screw that
Old 02-04-2014, 09:17 AM   #54
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun View Post
My gf worked at Joeys years ago and she said there were times where a girl would come in looking for a job, and the manager would just look over at her and shake his head if she wasn't good looking enough. Then they'd tell her they weren't hiring. Classy establishment.
The creepiest reality show ever was "So You Think You Are Hot?" Lorenzo Lamas would point out the flaws of the models with a laser pointer.

The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2014, 09:48 AM   #55
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah there are obviously places that hire based on looks first, but I can't say it necessarily correlates to bad service. I've had good and bad service at a variety of places from a variety of faces. Good looking people can be good at their jobs too...
Old 02-04-2014, 10:49 AM   #56
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Yeah there are obviously places that hire based on looks first, but I can't say it necessarily correlates to bad service. I've had good and bad service at a variety of places from a variety of faces. Good looking people can be good at their jobs too...
Oh some of the best service I've ever had was by attractive people. Your Father's Moustache in Halifax is one of those restaurants that is staffed almost exclusively by hot chicks. However, the service there is consistently the best of anywhere I've ever been.

I think the either/or question was if you had to chose between unattractive but good service or hot by poor service what which would you prefer?

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Old 02-04-2014, 10:57 AM   #57
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Salty's in Penticton takes it to an absurd/awesome level in the summer. Nothing but 10s.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:03 AM   #58
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

As long as the server and uniform are clean, and there doesn't seem to be any contagious condition, I don't care.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:59 AM   #59
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I would say good service above attractiveness. In the end, the only thing a good looking person does is give me a couple seconds of joy while they visit the table/walk away and maybe some chatting with the buddies about the hottness of our waittress, but bad service would hinder the experience regardless of the attractiveness of my server.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:31 PM   #60
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Interesting idea for a thread and some interesting responses and reactions. Personally, if the service is good and the food is good, I couldn't care less what the server looks like. It's simply a bonus if they are nice eye candy.
Closed Thread