Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2018, 12:33 PM   #21
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Andreoff is terrible, all the Kings fans I know despise him and there's no room for him on the Flames at all
Yeah I know he isn't great. But if the Flames are planning on having 2 NHL games played over the last two years Anthony Peluso as their 13/14th forward, I would much rather have Andreoff who is more capable of taking a regular shift than Peluso. He can still stick up for teammates like Peluso but maybe not as good a fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Who was that late round dman with big echl stats they let go a few years ago
I think he ended up in la?
Stepan Falkovsky. Had 3g + 4a in 44 AHL games last season.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:47 PM   #22
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of ex-flames tweeners, former Flames 9th Rounder Adam Cracknell fits that mold yearly. He signed with the Leafs this year joining his 8th franchise.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:04 PM   #23
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
Speaking of ex-flames tweeners, former Flames 9th Rounder Adam Cracknell fits that mold yearly. He signed with the Leafs this year joining his 8th franchise.
Cracknell, buddy... Go back to school.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:18 PM   #24
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Cracknell, buddy... Go back to school.
Including this season he'll have made $3 million over the last 6 seasons. Don't feel bad for him.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2018, 06:11 PM   #25
Captaincanada80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Including this season he'll have made $3 million over the last 6 seasons. Don't feel bad for him.
Although that may be the perception, it’s far more complicated than that. Only twice has he played more than 24 games in a season with those seasons totalling 69 and 44 games. Other than those seasons his totals were more in the 15-24 range for games played. One site has career earnings at 3.5M so let’s just assume that for argument sake.

The guy is 33 years old. He has dedicated his life to the sport for probably as long as he remembers. Junior, minor hockey, they are all a huge commitment that these athletes give up their childhood.

Now we take that 3.5M and take 40% right off the top for Uncle Sam. Which is a cool 1.4M leaving our friend Adam with 2.1M. Can’t forget that escrow which from just skimming through articles appears players have paid between 12-18%. Let’s just take the median and say it’s 15%. But we’re taking escrow off total salary not just the remaining. That mean another 525K comes off leaving poor Adam with 1.575M. But who got him that contract... gotta pay the agent, most coming in at a cool 5%. That’s gonna cost you another 175k. Now Adam has 1.4M in actual career Dollars.

St.Louis, Dallas, Vancouver and New York are not that cheap to live in. Even if we say he lives on the lower end of the athlete scale gotta figure he’s still about 8k a month or 100K per year. Over a 7 year career that’s half of his income going to living. Sure they get per diem and allowances with the big clubs but don’t forget Mr. Cracknell played more than half his career in the minors.

Who knows, maybe AC is great with investments. Maybe he has plans to go back to school. Maybe his family is wealthy and doesn’t need to worry about money. But this is just one story. Most end up with normal lives with normal jobs just like you or me. But your kidding yourselves if you believe that a fringe NHL’er gets to live this lavage life. Most come out of this with health issues. CTE is a growing concern, something you don’t risk with your 9-5 M-F gig. The stress these players go through especially when your a tweener I could only imagine is unbareable at times. Everyday having to perform at your highest level to know if your not operating at 100% at all times it could all come crashing down.

I’m sure we can argue the merits of most of my points but this is a reality most NHL’ers deal with. Do I Feel bad for the guys blessed with the highest level of talent and cash in with 8 and 9 figure contracts not so much. But have some respect for the career NHL journeyman who might be lucky having to come out of this system with a house (if he’s lucky).
The Following User Says Thank You to Captaincanada80 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2018, 06:17 PM   #26
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
Agostino is in his 5th NHL organization; safe to say the danger is minimal
Didn’t Agostino have an epic pre season a couple of years ago? Probably a good cautionary tale for pre season stats.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:31 PM   #27
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

I remember Robert Dome having a great pre-season with the Flames, I found this old mention of him in Calgary.

Quote:
Perhaps the biggest wildcard involving the 2002-03 Flames from the right side is Robert Dome. Dome is arguably one of the most talented hockey players in the world, but he's struggled to combine his talent with the professional game.
https://www.calgarypuck.com/archive/RateRW_080102.htm
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David Struch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2018, 06:45 PM   #28
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincanada80 View Post
But have some respect for the career NHL journeyman who might be lucky having to come out of this system with a house (if he’s lucky).
It has nothing to do with luck. If he’s half decent at managing his money, he’s made over 100k US dollars after tax per year for his entire adult life. That’s plenty.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2018, 07:05 PM   #29
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Andreoff is terrible, all the Kings fans I know despise him and there's no room for him on the Flames at all
This is the idiot that Tkatchuk sucks into about 3 penalties a game every time we play LA. Guy has zero discipline. Agree. Hard pass.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 09-23-2018 at 07:09 PM.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:07 PM   #30
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Followed Julius Bergman with interest for a few years now. Thought he had a decent shot at making that Ottawa roster. Too bad.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:42 PM   #31
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
I remember Robert Dome having a great pre-season with the Flames, I found this old mention of him in Calgary.

https://www.calgarypuck.com/archive/RateRW_080102.htm

I remember that. I was surprised the Flames didn't at least give him a try. The Flames couldn't really afford to be choosers at the time.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:05 PM   #32
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincanada80 View Post
I’m sure we can argue the merits of most of my points but this is a reality most NHL’ers deal with. Do I Feel bad for the guys blessed with the highest level of talent and cash in with 8 and 9 figure contracts not so much. But have some respect for the career NHL journeyman who might be lucky having to come out of this system with a house (if he’s lucky).
I'm not the one that said he needs to go back to school.

He's probably not set for life or anything, but the guy has been getting minimum NHL salary in the minors the last handful of years.

Yeah, he's had to pay taxes and has had expenses, but so do people making 70k per year.

He's making big money doing what he loves, and if he's been even half decent with his money he's going to be set up pretty nicely going into his 40s.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2018, 09:58 PM   #33
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
It has nothing to do with luck. If he’s half decent at managing his money, he’s made over 100k US dollars after tax per year for his entire adult life. That’s plenty.
Cracknell is 33 years old. So while he is off to a nice start, his entire adult life has a lot of runway left.

Unlike college graduates who end up in a lucrative career, his earnings are likely not on an upward trajectory.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:52 PM   #34
calgarybean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Cracknell is 33 years old. So while he is off to a nice start, his entire adult life has a lot of runway left.

Unlike college graduates who end up in a lucrative career, his earnings are likely not on an upward trajectory.
I wish I started at a 100k per year, probably no debt, a per dime, etc to start my adult life. Not knocking it but I think hockey has been good to the guy and he has plenty of time to career shift and make less, the same or more than he does now.

I won’t lose sleep over Mr. Cracknell.
calgarybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:09 PM   #35
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

How awesome would it have been if we could have made a home for Dome... in the 'dome... with Jarome...
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sempuki For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2018, 06:45 AM   #36
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarybean View Post
I wish I started at a 100k per year, probably no debt, a per dime, etc to start my adult life. Not knocking it but I think hockey has been good to the guy and he has plenty of time to career shift and make less, the same or more than he does now.

I won’t lose sleep over Mr. Cracknell.
I agree no one should lose sleep over it. But it’s why so many athletes don’t do well later in their life. Most people earn bigger salaries over time and learn valuable lessons along the way. Athletes tend to go in reverse direction and need to be smart about their money when they are at their youngest and most immature.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:12 AM   #37
mennoknight
Scoring Winger

Exp:

There was a time when Robert Dome was legitimately my favourite hockey player in the world.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:45 AM   #38
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Where was all this Cracknell interest when i started the Adam frickin Cracknell thread a couple years ago?!?!?!?!
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:43 AM   #39
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Plenty for what?

Certainly enough to live on for sure, but not to set him up for life LOL.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote