Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-16-2018, 07:22 AM   #21
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

...shut up and eat your damn platitude. That's what that guy on the internet said to feed you!"
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Titan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 07:23 AM   #22
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I’ll go hungry! You’re not my dad!
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:25 AM   #23
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have never been happier than when I was past the packing school lunch years! It was hell. Most of the time they wouldn't eat half of what I packed them, or they would eat all of something, you think you found something they would finally eat, and buy more of it, and then 3 days later suddenly they don't want it anymore. They would never agree to take leftovers in a thermos - takes too long to eat, other kids don't bring that, don't want to make the effort, etc. I tried sandwiches, wraps, buns, pita's - nothing lasted more than a week as something they would consistently eat. I don't even want to think about the food that was thrown in the garbage during those years.

I'm having flashbacks from this thread.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 08:29 AM   #24
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Nutella? Doesn't that get kyboshed with the allergy restrictions?
I would gleefully send my offspring bounding off to school with an entire jar of peanut butter.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:53 AM   #25
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Peanut butter and honey sandwiches. Grade 1-12, every day. At least that was my experience as a kid. Awesome.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 08:54 AM   #26
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Peanut butter and honey sandwiches. Grade 1-12, every day. At least that was my experience as a kid. Awesome.
Yep I got this about 90% of the time.

If I didn't eat it I went hungry, kids shouldn't be so picky.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:00 AM   #27
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

So frustrating. My kids are picky eaters, so if it isn't rice, kraft dinner or plain spaghetti (no sauce) all they want is junk. Nutella wraps are the new fav, and I hate that crap.

I try to pack ham and cheese, fruit, granola bar and a snack like a gusher or fruit roll up, and what comes back in the lunch kit? Everything but the snack. Maybe an apple slice or two gets eaten.

In Okotoks they get hot lunch 3 days a week at a cost of around $3/day, so I literally gave up and went with that. I just send em with a healthy snack those days and hope for the best. The other 2 days we make sammies, but like I said they barely ever eat them.

One of the stranger things they all go for is salmon sashimi. They will literally eat plates of it. Don't think the school would be happy about me sending raw fish though.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:03 AM   #28
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can get tiny mini quiches from m and m meats. Our kids love those. Send them cold (cook night before) or cook them right before school (15 min) and pop in a thermos.

Sushi.

We are lucky, our kids generally eat anything.

Quinoa salad. Chilli. Salad. Change the sandwich up by putting it in a wrap or pita. Noodles and sauce; you can always blend in some spinach or other veggie.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:05 AM   #29
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lunchables are great. If your wife decides you should do the grocery shopping just bring these home for your kids lunches and before you know it, grocery shopping is no longer one of your duties.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 09:06 AM   #30
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Schools lose their marbles if you send peanut butter. If a teacher sees it they take it away.

I was a PB&J guy. Loved it, ate it almost every day until high school when we had a cafeteria. I hated cheese on sandwiches, because by the time it was lunch the cheese was hot and had "sweat" on it (condensation). Barf.

Pizza subs, texas doughnut day were also a staple. I was literally raised on peanut butter and pizza, and to this day I still love it. There is no better midnight snack than toast, butter, and smooth peanut butter on top.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 09:12 AM   #31
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post
You can get tiny mini quiches from m and m meats. Our kids love those. Send them cold (cook night before) or cook them right before school (15 min) and pop in a thermos.

Sushi.

We are lucky, our kids generally eat anything.

Quinoa salad. Chilli. Salad. Change the sandwich up by putting it in a wrap or pita. Noodles and sauce; you can always blend in some spinach or other veggie.
Do you think they're actually eating that stuff? I used to pour my soup down the storm sewer by the playground. Gross sandwiches could be squished through the grates as well.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:15 AM   #32
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Nutella sandwiches are the brown sugar sandwiches of today.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 10:27 AM   #33
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

2 boys, 5/7 - typical things.

Mains:
Thermos (mac and cheese, spaghetti, soup, chili etc.)
Wraps/sandwiches (kids seem to get really burnt out of this)
Leftover pizza
Meat/Cheese/Crackers
Bagel + Cream cheese
Tuna + Crackers + Cheese

Snacks
Granola bars/balls (not the Quaker candy bar ones though)
apple sauce
fruit cups
dried fruit (honey mango is a hit for us)
Pretzels
Banana bread/muffin
carrots, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, apples, oranges, grapes, berries, kiwi, watermelon etc...
yogurt cup/tube/drink
hummus + Pita chips

Drinks
Water

I try not to repeat the same lunch in a week but its hard. You can tell the kids and I are both done with the lunch routine by spring break. hard to keep mixing it up for them.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:35 AM   #34
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I went through grade school eating cheeze whiz sandwiches daily. I actually bought a jar of that stuff for the first time in around a decade for the nostalgia. Either the formula has changed drastically or my taste buds have vastly improved, it does not hold up at all
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:39 AM   #35
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
I have never been happier than when I was past the packing school lunch years! It was hell. Most of the time they wouldn't eat half of what I packed them, or they would eat all of something, you think you found something they would finally eat, and buy more of it, and then 3 days later suddenly they don't want it anymore. They would never agree to take leftovers in a thermos - takes too long to eat, other kids don't bring that, don't want to make the effort, etc. I tried sandwiches, wraps, buns, pita's - nothing lasted more than a week as something they would consistently eat. I don't even want to think about the food that was thrown in the garbage during those years.

I'm having flashbacks from this thread.
My mom made me lunch pretty much every day until I moved out. All through University. When I had 8 hour shifts at my part time jobs. All the time. I think she just loved doing it.

I suppose that was my reward for always eating everything she packed and being grateful for it! Also, I learned how to make killer packed lunches as a result. It will be my duty once the kids are school age (my wife doesn't make great packed lunches).
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:41 AM   #36
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

My kids, grades 8, 5 and 2, make their own lunches. I think my wife double checks them from time to time to ensure that they're not making a sugar sandwich instead of a "healthier" sandwich. My eldest can have peanut butter sandwiches, my middle cannot for certain, I don't remember with my youngest.

We have a list of what they can have. A sandwich, wrap, bagel or left over meal is the main item. They also can have 2 healthy snacks (fruits, vegetables, cheese) and 1 fun snack (pudding, granola bar, jello, etc).
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:42 AM   #37
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Snip

Last edited by DoubleF; 10-16-2018 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Irrelevant wall of text.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 10:47 AM   #38
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow. You know when the "tl;dr" is too long to read, you're in for a doozy.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:47 AM   #39
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
My mom made me lunch pretty much every day until I moved out. All through University. When I had 8 hour shifts at my part time jobs. All the time. I think she just loved doing it.

I suppose that was my reward for always eating everything she packed and being grateful for it! Also, I learned how to make killer packed lunches as a result. It will be my duty once the kids are school age (my wife doesn't make great packed lunches).

I see that differently. The last year that my son still lived at home when he started working full time I would make his lunch 3 or 4 days a week. I didn’t mind because he ate it all, he told me how much he appreciated it, and it gave us a chance to talk in the mornings and catch up with each other. A much different thing than school lunches that he drove me crazy over!
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:57 AM   #40
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess the days of a sandwich and granola bar are long gone. And if you want anything else make it yourself!
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote