Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-02-2017, 09:21 AM   #201
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I will be disappointed if we sign Shane Doan and Iggy is still on the market
I would actually have a hard time watching the Flames play if Doan was on the roster. He is tied with Kesler as the player I can't stand the most.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2017, 10:04 AM   #202
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Too bad it seems like Iginla and/or flames ownership have some hard feelings, nothing to substantiate but I get that feeling. Iginla selling his house like the day after he got traded said to me he was done with Calgary for good and I don't think he needs to let up or anything but trying to fight Gio seemed a bit poor.

Bottom line is that the flames could use a right shot with a bit of toughness who as they said can take a draw to add to the young forward group and are lining up like a contending team. Throw in the history and iginla beong the franchise icon... This should be an easy match for a short term deal and somehow isn't even being discussed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2017, 10:12 AM   #203
Reign of Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Too bad it seems like Iginla and/or flames ownership have some hard feelings, nothing to substantiate but I get that feeling. Iginla selling his house like the day after he got traded said to me he was done with Calgary for good and I don't think he needs to let up or anything but trying to fight Gio seemed a bit poor.

Bottom line is that the flames could use a right shot with a bit of toughness who as they said can take a draw to add to the young forward group and are lining up like a contending team. Throw in the history and iginla beong the franchise icon... This should be an easy match for a short term deal and somehow isn't even being discussed.
I been thinking the same thing. But you would think with change in management, it would at least be a consideration. Gulutzan said they wanted a bottom six, right handed forward, and I would assume Iginla fits the bill. But something definitely happened behind the scenes and both sides have gone their separate ways.
The Following User Says Thank You to Reign of Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2017, 10:20 AM   #204
MikeRPG
Lifetime Suspension

Quote:

I agree 100%. Ever since the last two seasons he was mopey/down on Calgary. Most likely because of the country club rumours when he was captain.

He's playing with Kotaliks and Jokinens, being lectured by a terrible coach that crams round pegs into square holes and the captain gets ridiculed for a country club attitude. Why would anyone want to come back to that?

Last edited by MikeRPG; 07-02-2017 at 10:36 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeRPG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2017, 10:29 AM   #205
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign of Fire View Post
I been thinking the same thing. But you would think with change in management, it would at least be a consideration. Gulutzan said they wanted a bottom six, right handed forward, and I would assume Iginla fits the bill. But something definitely happened behind the scenes and both sides have gone their separate ways.
Would imagine it is more with Murray Edwards and crew if there's anything to it because as you said, new mgmt and coach.

Its too bad as it seems like many franchise icons don't exactly end up with the warm and fuzzies for the Flames. Macinnis, Mullen, Suter, Gilmour and Nieuwendyk and most of that group got run out of town after they were all nickel and dimed. No bad blood but none of them identify as flames it seems like. Fleury has been largely ignored by ownership due to off ice stuff. Lanny got passed over for that mgmt job and is arm's length now.

Only star guys I can think of I loved watching play who seem like flames guys in their hearts are Conroy and Loob. Reggie is a flames guy through and through as well. Vernon I guess too but he seems uninvolved.

Not to disparage Macoun and Pepper and the alumni group who are committed and great but I'd like to see our longer serving star players treated with more importance by the team and vice versa and I hope that Iginla and the Flames don't linger on a bad note, he means a lot to the franchise and the best sports teams manage the relationships with their icons carefully.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2017, 10:47 AM   #206
Reign of Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I hope that Iginla and the Flames don't linger on a bad note, he means a lot to the franchise and the best sports teams manage the relationships with their icons carefully.
I hear you, gotta respect the icons.
The Following User Says Thank You to Reign of Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2017, 11:01 AM   #207
STAMPEDRED
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdon View Post
I think his leadership abilities are greatly exaggerated around here,at least at the end of his time as a flame. The last thing I remember about iggys leadership was telling the media that what the coach wanted from him wasn't what the team needed. He was a great player and the face of the franchise, but towards the end it seemed to be more about what iginla wanted and less about what was best for the team
You could say that, but then the same is true regarding Brent Sutter. How come Iginla continues on playing for other teams, and Brent hasn't coached an NHL team since? Iginla has his defensive issues yes, but terrible coach is terrible. If he was any good at coaching he would still be coaching. Darryl's style of coaching works as he went on to coach the Kings for 6 years and just recently lost his job but also won the cup twice with them. Brent however drove our team into the ground, who was suppose to take us deeper into the playoffs and never made them once under his guidance, and has been out of the NHL since. Only just now have all three been without a team.That alone goes to show who was out of touch with what to the part you remember as you mentioned above.

Last edited by STAMPEDRED; 07-02-2017 at 12:09 PM. Reason: to correct auto-correct
Old 07-02-2017, 11:29 AM   #208
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is it just me or has Tapatalk sold out to the spider lobby?!?

Anyways, I can't see Iggy coming back. All I care about is that he doesn't sign in The Chuck. Can't REALLY see that happening either, but stranger things have Oilered...
Old 07-02-2017, 11:30 AM   #209
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I wonder if Iggy lands somewhere before Jagr?

Kind of seems they are both looking for a similar spot as a veteran presence with not a lot of openings.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:10 PM   #210
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Would imagine it is more with Murray Edwards and crew if there's anything to it because as you said, new mgmt and coach.

Its too bad as it seems like many franchise icons don't exactly end up with the warm and fuzzies for the Flames. Macinnis, Mullen, Suter, Gilmour and Nieuwendyk and most of that group got run out of town after they were all nickel and dimed. No bad blood but none of them identify as flames it seems like. Fleury has been largely ignored by ownership due to off ice stuff. Lanny got passed over for that mgmt job and is arm's length now.

Only star guys I can think of I loved watching play who seem like flames guys in their hearts are Conroy and Loob. Reggie is a flames guy through and through as well. Vernon I guess too but he seems uninvolved.

Not to disparage Macoun and Pepper and the alumni group who are committed and great but I'd like to see our longer serving star players treated with more importance by the team and vice versa and I hope that Iginla and the Flames don't linger on a bad note, he means a lot to the franchise and the best sports teams manage the relationships with their icons carefully.
Agree with this. Fleury was also shipped out of town when he asked for more money in the late 1990s.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corral For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2017, 12:58 PM   #211
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those who talk about bringing him back I honestly question who you think he is an upgrade on? You can't play him on the first line, Gaudreau and Monahan would have to cycle forever waiting for him to get into the play and the legs are not there to play that many minutes a night. So assuming they start last year with Ferland on that top line who does he bounce? Frolik? Nope, Frolik is a much better player at this stage and is perfectly paired with Backlund. Brouwer? The Flames are not sitting that much salary and lets be honest here, if Iginla had a very good year for him his numbers would match Brouwer's terrible year last season probably while Brouwer could bounce back. Either way that is not happening. Lazar? You are going to halt the development of a young promising player who wants to prove himself, skates well, and is full of piss and vinegar to give Iggy 5-8 minutes a game? Versteeg? Not a chance. There is no room for a team that is this fast with such a good mix of youth and vets already.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:59 PM   #212
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
Agree with this. Fleury was also shipped out of town when he asked for more money in the late 1990s.
They should have just paid him. Still bitter about that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2017, 01:03 PM   #213
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
They should have just paid him. Still bitter about that.
Yeah, but at least we got Regehr.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:13 PM   #214
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Iginla is a player that I have immeasurable respect for, and while its neat to think of that Disney type story of him coming back and winning the cup with Calgary, I just don't think he has much left. Even late last year when he had some good scraps and scored some goals for the Kings I still found he couldn't really make things happen enough on a shift by shift basis. I started to carefully watch his game and put my Iginla fan aside to see what he's doing on the ice. His game now is almost entirely positional (not always in the best position anymore) and of course he'll get a few goals -- he's one of the best sniper's the game has ever seen. But he's not a player that goes out and drives the play at all. Even depth players these days I think have to be able to drive the play in ways.

Perhaps he has more left in the tank and will prove everyone wrong -- I hope he does. But I am starting to think it really is close to over for him. Great player, great career, Flames legend. But everyone has a shelf life, I think Iginla might have reached his. Even if he retired today I wouldn't have any less respect for the player he was. He doesn't have a lot more to prove. I would really hate to see him come back and become a whipping boy. There are already delusional fans who harbour resentment towards him for whatever reason. I prefer to just remember Iginla as the most dominant player to ever wear the jersey.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994

Last edited by Igottago; 07-02-2017 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:33 PM   #215
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe if I say it enough times it'll come true:

Bring Home Jarome!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2017, 07:20 PM   #216
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's Giordano's team now, there's no room for Iggy in the dressing room or on the ice. I wish him the best of luck as long as it's not the Oilers, but there's no chance in him doing that.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:52 PM   #217
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the prospect of having a fan favourite veteran on a young team during a cup run. Jarome would take a lot of the media attention and be a fun rallying point for fans, allowing the young guys to focus on the game with less scrutiny. Also, the energy that would be provided by any Jarome goals in the playoffs would be great emotional lifts during home games. You just can't get those kinds of things without a player who brings a certain kind of history, and Jarome is the guy who could bring that kind of history with the Flames.

I see way more upside to it than downside.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Ace
Old 07-02-2017, 08:03 PM   #218
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only way he comes back is if the Flames offer him more than any other team. I am grateful for the great years he had with the team and his positive impact on the team and city, but Iginla is all business. His contracts were always difficult to negotiate, when we traded him, he nixed a deal that was arguably better for the team after he previously stated he would accept a deal to Boston (only to sign with them after). Then he signed an expensive multi-year deal with a team with little chance to win. And now he relocated his home back to Boston.

I don't think the sentimentality means anything to him. He is about making as much money as possible before he retires. And there is nothing wrong with that, but I wish fans would let him go already.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:04 PM   #219
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If he came in humble and would play any role no downside. Flames jettisoned Bouma and Chiasson already so there are depth forward spots open.

Issue with Iggy is he has a bit of ego... Which he's earned I guess but will cause issues if he doesn't turn it down as his skillset declines.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:21 AM   #220
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

It is Gios team. But there is a role for him or could be one. Just like 2009 when there could've been a role for Theo. but I'm starting to think it isn't going to happen in fact he may not play anywhere next year.
Closed Thread