Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-22-2017, 12:30 PM   #441
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd trade our 1st + one of klillington or anderson for Hamonic $3.8MM for next 3 years.

rather do that then sign stone for $3.5
The Following User Says Thank You to MacDaddy77 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2017, 12:30 PM   #442
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I would love to see Janko excell in the NHL but you make that deal 10 times out of 10 if that is 1 for 1.

No chance the Kings make that deal IMO. We are adding a least our 1st and the discussion probably starts with Bennett not Janko if we want Muzzin.
Makes me want to do the deal even less. I get what you are saying though.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:30 PM   #443
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
After waiting 5 years to see Janko in the NHL I'd rather just hang onto him now.

Big smart fast and skilled. Lets not watch him turn into something on a rivals roster.
Agreed.

As excited as some of us can get about al these big rumors I don't see the Flamesmhaving the chips tonsot at the table this summer unless they move a core piece that is going to hurt.

I love big trades and was on cloud 9 for days after the Hamilton heist 2 years ago.

One thing about the Flames though is they have been in blockbuster rumors for all 3 of Trelivings drafts before this one.

2014 - cap dumps for top 10 picks. Rumors of Ward/Ribero and the 7th and 12th picks in the draft. Nothing happened and we moved a 3rd for Bollig

2015- Hamilton blockbuster rumored and acquired by Treliving

2016- Bishop rumors and moving into the top 3 dominated the day on the Friday. Ultimately the Flames kept the 6 pick and got lucky with Chucky. Swing the Elliott trade shortly after

2017- remains to be seen but I think we will continue to hear about the Flames looking at a Dman or winger
Old 06-22-2017, 12:31 PM   #444
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I'd be all over Hamonic if possible.

Our 1st + one of our D prospects maybe gets it done? Probably not enough.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:32 PM   #445
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could see the Islanders trying to re-coup their first and add a prospect goalie since Berube busted out.

Could see our 1st or Gillies being a key piece in a trade for Hamonic.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2017, 12:33 PM   #446
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I'd be all over Hamonic if possible.

Our 1st + one of our D prospects maybe gets it done? Probably not enough.
If the cost is any higher than that, I don't know if he presents enough of an upgrade over Stone to justify.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:33 PM   #447
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicTunga12 View Post
A Kings fan over at hf proposed Muzzin for Jankowski. What do you guys think about that?
If this trade ever happened (It wouldn't) it would be a fleecing on the scale of Erat for Forsberg
Old 06-22-2017, 12:33 PM   #448
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd just like to say, I hope Tre signs one of Jagr or Justin Williams on July 1. Preferably Jagr. That's how they sell me one of these Myanmar shirts.

46 points last year, played for Gulutzan in Dallas, has never played in Canada before. Do it for a year, Brad.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:36 PM   #449
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
A team is only "asset rich" if they have considerably more at their disposal than the majority of their competition.
That seems like a very arbitrary made up definition on your part. IMO we're asset rich when we have a lot of valuable assets. Seems like that's the definition of the words.

However since young assets are often worth the most I'd suggest we are in the upper half easily. Maybe even more asset rich than 2/3 of the league.

Any teams just coming out of a rebuild are asset rich. See TOR. See BUF. See CGY. We're in a great position.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:37 PM   #450
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I could see the Islanders trying to re-coup their first and add a prospect goalie since Berube busted out.

Could see our 1st or Gillies being a key piece in a trade for Hamonic.
Gillies and 1st is too much we need to hold onto Gilles, Rittich and Parsons and hope like hell we finally find a goalie.

Finding 2 starters under 26 would be a goldmine and net more return than Hamonic down the road
Old 06-22-2017, 12:39 PM   #451
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
A team is only "asset rich" if they have considerably more at their disposal than the majority of their competition. The current situation is such that the franchise has merely pulled even with much of the field over the last 10 years when prior to that they were so far behind it wasn't even funny. Jankowski, Dube, Anderson, Kylington, Gillies, Parsons and Fox are not exactly blue chip prospects in any way shape or form. They're a group of good prospects that are all trending in the right direction for sure but are not going to get you anything significant when standing on their own.

Young players like this need to show they can progress to the next level (NHL) before they hold significant value. Do you really think a team is going to give up anything significant for one of these prospects without bundling them with picks and roster players? No, they wont, because just about every team in the league has a few F, D and G prospects that are in the exact same boat.
So what is "asset rich"? Prospects will be all stages of development, so if those prospects that can "show progress to the next level" (whatever that means) are the only ones that hold any real value, then no team can be asset rich.

I don't think that is correct. All teams have assets. Some are in a better position to use those assets for something tangible now. Some use tangible assets (NHL players) at the deadline for picks. Those are obviously assets as well, without showing any inclination they could make it to the NHL.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2017, 12:41 PM   #452
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Well the point is that we'll likely pay less for goaltending after Smith moves on. Obviously we won't pay low salary indefinitely but as we immediately transition to Gillies/Parsons they would be lower. That's all I was trying to say.
That would be ideal, but goalies are impossible.... especially young ones. You have to keep options open, so anticipating 5-6mil per year for 2 goalies would be the lowest I would forecast.

Ideally one of those two comes in and gives the Flames a reason to pull out the chequebook.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:43 PM   #453
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Jankowski, Dube, Anderson, Kylington, Gillies, Parsons and Fox are not exactly blue chip prospects in any way shape or form. They're a group of good prospects that are all trending in the right direction for sure but are not going to get you anything significant when standing on their own.
Disagree on a few of those. I think Jankowski is clearly a bluechip prospect. I think his value is high on his own. I think a lot of fans underrate his upside and his value. I think both Gillies and Parsons are blue-chippers as well. Andersson is close for me too. The rest I think are a cut below. I do think Fox and Kylington have some decent trade value right now.

Interesting to note Craig Button has Parsons as the 2nd best goalie prospect and the 12th best prospect overall ahead of such names as Juolevi, Dubois. So there's some confirmation he's considered bluechip league-wide.

http://www.tsn.ca/test1-1.677389

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 06-22-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:44 PM   #454
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Pierre LeBrun @PierreVLeBrun
Not surprising given that he was left unprotected for the expansion draft, but the Panthers are open to moving Jason Demers for right price has 4 more years left on his deal at a $4.5 M cap hit.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:47 PM   #455
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
That seems like a very arbitrary made up definition on your part. IMO we're asset rich when we have a lot of valuable assets. Seems like that's the definition of the words.

However since young assets are often worth the most I'd suggest we are in the upper half easily. Maybe even more asset rich than 2/3 of the league.

Any teams just coming out of a rebuild are asset rich. See TOR. See BUF. See CGY. We're in a great position.

You're defining a few of the Flames good prospects (that most NHL teams have several of) as somehow more valuable than the majority of the leagues prospect base...doesn't make much sense to me. The Flames are in good shape but they hardly have a wealth of riches at their disposal prospect wise.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:51 PM   #456
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
You're defining a few of the Flames good prospects (that most NHL teams have several of) as somehow more valuable than the majority of the leagues prospect base...doesn't make much sense to me. The Flames are in good shape but they hardly have a wealth of riches at their disposal prospect wise.
The main reason we're asset rich is the value of Gaudreau, Monahan, Bennett, Tkachuk, Backlund, Ferland, Brodie, Giordano, and Hamilton. The prospects are a secondary consideration. When you have a young core the value of your team in terms of assets is higher because young players are the easiest to move and worth the most in trades.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:55 PM   #457
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Disagree on a few of those. I think Jankowski is clearly a bluechip prospect. I think his value is high on his own. I think a lot of fans underrate his upside and his value. I think both Gillies and Parsons are blue-chippers as well. Andersson is close for me too. The rest I think are a cut below. I do think Fox and Kylington have some decent trade value right now.

Interesting to note Craig Button has Parsons as the 2nd best goalie prospect and the 12th best prospect overall ahead of such names as Juolevi, Dubois. So there's some confirmation he's considered bluechip league-wide.

http://www.tsn.ca/test1-1.677389

So the Flames suddenly have 5 blue chip prospects in their system?

Any one of these players could easily not make the NHL for a variety of reasons just as easily as they could flourish. That in itself, disqualifies them from being blue chip.

I like the group of prospects we have but I'm certainly not going to assume they are sure bet NHL players right now.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 06-22-2017 at 01:00 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hot_Flatus For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2017, 12:58 PM   #458
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

I think Vegas gets Hamonic involving Pickard somehow.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:00 PM   #459
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
So the Flames suddenly have 5 blue chip prospects in their system?

Any one of these players could easily not make the NHL for a variety of reasons just as easily as they could flourish. That in itself, disqualifies them from being blue chip.
Whatever man. I guess we have to define each word before we use it?

Almost every prospect has a chance of busting so I guess there's only a couple bluechip prospects drafted each year according to your definition?

How many prospects on Button's list that I linked above would you consider bluechip? If I used the word top prospect instead of bluechip would that suddenly make things okay?

Not even sure what we're really arguing about now. I think that Jankowski has good trade value if teams have scouted him. I think Parsons obviously has good trade value. I think Gillies has good trade value. I think Andersson, Fox and Kylington all have some trade value. They are assets.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:06 PM   #460
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Whatever man. I guess we have to define each word before we use it?

Almost every prospect has a chance of busting so I guess there's only a couple bluechip prospects drafted each year according to your definition?

How many prospects on Button's list that I linked above would you consider bluechip? If I used the word top prospect instead of bluechip would that suddenly make things okay?

Not even sure what we're really arguing about now. I think that Jankowski has good trade value if teams have scouted him. I think Parsons obviously has good trade value. I think Gillies has good trade value. I think Andersson, Fox and Kylington all have some trade value. They are assets.
Circling back to the original point - the Flames don't have a glut of can't miss prospects they can afford to consider trade bait. Sure, you could find takers but these players are more valuable to the Flames as is. What on earth would it accomplish to move a prospect like Jankowski or Gillies now after years of development? All you'd be doing is moving them out at pennies on the dollar in order to return something of moderate, short-term value.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 06-22-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Closed Thread