Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 03:42 PM   #4441
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Haha yeah, I don't blame a Canadian born player for not wanting to play for a Canadian based team. Jesus, all you have to do is read this board after a loss or two for a prime example of why you should stay far away. Sure it's great when the team is winning, but the second things go south out come the pitchforks.

When it comes to hockey, Canadian fans more than any other it seems, take losing personally and it doesn't take much for the insults and personal attacks to start flying. Calgary is not as bad as some other Canadian markets mind you, as at least here the media doesn't usually pile on as badly.
Why are hockey players such shrinking violets? Nobody ever has a problem taking money from the Flyers, is anyone really going to sit here and say the Philly media is harder to deal with than Wes Gilbertson and Darren Haynes?
Old 12-01-2017, 04:15 PM   #4442
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Why are hockey players such shrinking violets? Nobody ever has a problem taking money from the Flyers, is anyone really going to sit here and say the Philly media is harder to deal with than Wes Gilbertson and Darren Haynes?
Flyers news is backpage stuff in Philly especially now when the Eagles are playing and I believe the 76ers would also be ahead of them on the sports page. In Calgary the Flames could be a front page story.

I don’t disagree with your take though. Calgary is a pretty soft market for media and that shoulda deter a player from wanting to play here.

Edmonton is another story. Spector writes 1-2 articles about the Oilers a day. Also calling former players mentally weak.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:57 PM   #4443
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
With Backlund set for a big raise and JVR set for one too it got me think about some of the talk around one of our D for one of Marner or Nylander.. These teams have made large trades in the past and granted T.O. won the two that come to mind at least initially (The Phaneuf/Stajan is debatable at this point) it got me thinking of team needs past this season and if there was a chance to swap pending UFA's in terms of need. Also with the knowledge of Babcock absolutely gushing about Backs from the get go and with how good JVR is down low and being a right winger what would a blockbuster type trade with them look like that is fair. Now obviously this armchair gming and a large part of me would like to hang on to Backs but what do you guys think:

To Toronto:
One of Dougie Hamilton or TJ Brodie
Backlund
Prospect

To Calgary:
One of Marner or Nylander
JVR
2nd rd pick

Both teams are dealing from a position of strength for a position they are weaker at, just an idea. With Versteeg possibly done and Stajan as an extra, these would be pretty fun lines to watch (I've dealt Hamilton and choose Marner (london ties with Matty) in the roster below):

Gaudreau ~ Monahan ~ JVR
Tkachuk ~ Jankowski ~ Marner
Ferland ~ Bennett ~ Jagr
Brouwer ~ Lazar ~ Frolik
Stajan

Giordano ~ Hamonic
Brodie ~ Stone
Kulak ~ Andersson
Bart

Smith
Rittich
Why are we trading Backlund again?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to locsofblu For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2017, 04:58 PM   #4444
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I think Bennett’s trajectory looks like B. Schenn. We won’t really see that PPG player until it’s really later in his career.
Or he can be a straight out bust but I like your optimism.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:03 PM   #4445
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^^I don't think so. He has already shown that he is beyond that in his early showings. Besides, if a 2nd round choice or someone like Hunter Shinkaruk is the return the Flames can afford to wait.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:09 PM   #4446
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by locsofblu View Post
Why are we trading Backlund again?
No contract extension signed. Surprised the media hasn't made a bigger deal about this yet. Maybe once the January comes around, the panic will start to set in.

Old 12-01-2017, 06:50 PM   #4447
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Flyers news is backpage stuff in Philly especially now when the Eagles are playing and I believe the 76ers would also be ahead of them on the sports page. In Calgary the Flames could be a front page story.

I don’t disagree with your take though. Calgary is a pretty soft market for media and that shoulda deter a player from wanting to play here.

Edmonton is another story. Spector writes 1-2 articles about the Oilers a day. Also calling former players mentally weak.
Edit: never mind, I was wrong.

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 12-01-2017 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 02:04 AM   #4448
ReinhartonD
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The negatives playing for a Canadian team are overblown. Many U.S. cities are just as cold (Minnesota) and taxes in New York are higher than Alberta. Plus in most Canadian cities a top-3 type player on a team can make a lot in ads and endorsements, likely more than in a U.S. market where hockey is below several other sports in popularity.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:45 AM   #4449
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

I remember when the Oilers media was projecting Davidson to be a top 4 defenceman. I wonder if Chiarelli puts a claim on him.

Eric Engels @EricEngels
No trade materialized for Brandon Davidson. He'll be on waivers at noon.

Last edited by sureLoss; 12-02-2017 at 08:50 AM.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:47 AM   #4450
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon59

Brandon Davidson is no good.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:34 AM   #4451
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Who's Brandon Davidson?
Old 12-02-2017, 09:35 AM   #4452
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Oh the Habs guy....haha
Old 12-02-2017, 09:42 AM   #4453
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
Oh the Habs guy....haha
Not only that, but former Oiler too. #neverforget#
Old 12-02-2017, 10:53 AM   #4454
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by locsofblu View Post
Or he can be a straight out bust but I like your optimism.

I have really liked his game of late. I think he has the tools to become a complete player he just needs time to mature into the player he can be.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:02 PM   #4455
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Sam might yet be an impact player in this league, but I'm really starting to doubt that it will be with the Calgary Flames. I think he's at the stage where he needs a complete reset...and that's hard to do with the same team. 21 or not, there's just a lot of accumulated baggage now.
Umh, is this statement based on anything? What is this baggage of which you speak? The patient and never ending support of the team and management getting him down? I think I read somewhere about that happening to Backlund too....
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesFanTrev For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2017, 01:06 PM   #4456
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
Who's Brandon Davidson?
He was originally an Oiler who according to Greaser fans was going to be better than Brodie.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:05 PM   #4457
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

HNIC:

Kypreos believes Kings will give Doughty a contract slightly more than Kopitar's
The Senators would prefer to keep the Karlsson contract stuff behind closed doors. Karlsson and Mark Stone share the same agency and they need to deal with both.

Teams getting sense that Sabres are open to trades
Willing to listen to offers on anyone except Eichel
If you want Ristolainen, Scandella or Sam Reinhart better come with serious offers
Sabres want more than what Hanzal (1st, 2nd and 4th) and Ladd (Dano, 1st, conditional pick) returned as rentals for Kane as they believe he is a much better player than those 2.

Flyers not actively shopping Simmonds but will hear his name more and more often.
One exectuive said Simmonds is Flyers most premium asset
There will not be enough money to re-sign Simmonds when his contract is up.

$600-$700 million could be the cost for the next expansion team with how well things are going for Vegas

Salary cap could go as high as $80 million next year.

Last edited by sureLoss; 12-04-2017 at 07:11 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2017, 07:10 PM   #4458
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

$600-$700 million????? Lol!!

Who would do that when you can go buy an existing team for literally several hundreds of millions less?? Unless the NHL doesn’t allow relocation very easily, which means.......
Old 12-02-2017, 07:14 PM   #4459
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

If the Sabres are truly willing to listen to any offers, might be a good time for the Flames to try and get some of their RW depth.

They have guys like A. Nylander, Cliff Pu, Hudson Fasching, Justin Bailey, Nicholas Baptiste in their system which could be young guys that could help the Flames depth in that position and potentially become regular NHLers.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:23 PM   #4460
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I drool at getting Nylander onto the Flames. The Alex kind.
Closed Thread