Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2016, 05:07 PM   #301
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
Even if you out of the fibre area you could get Telus 50 using bonded pair copper, you should contact Telus. Are you getting prime time slowdowns with Shaw i.e. evenings and weekends?
Yep - on the primetime slowdowns with Shaw.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:34 AM   #302
Dirty Mr. Clean
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Yep - on the primetime slowdowns with Shaw.
What package and modem do you have from Shaw?
Dirty Mr. Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:14 PM   #303
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Mr. Clean View Post
What package and modem do you have from Shaw?
Broadband 50

Modem - Cisco DPC3825
Old 05-27-2016, 06:49 AM   #304
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Broadband 50

Modem - Cisco DPC3825
I can tell you this is not a great modem for managing broadband congestion because the lack of channels that it can bond. I had this same modem before and it was okay normally but couldn't keep up during prime time because of network congestion. It only bonds 8 channels for your downstream and does change channels well and the new one bonds 24 and handles channel changes way better. So bigger pipe, better management of pipe traffic problems. I think Shaw is phasing these ones out so you might be able to get free swap.

Your slowdown could also be cause by the crappy wifi in that router. It is very weak wifi and if lots of people on the same channel, your traffic may get blocked.

Last edited by FlameOn; 05-27-2016 at 08:21 AM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2016, 11:06 AM   #305
Dirty Mr. Clean
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
I can tell you this is not a great modem for managing broadband congestion because the lack of channels that it can bond. I had this same modem before and it was okay normally but couldn't keep up during prime time because of network congestion. It only bonds 8 channels for your downstream and does change channels well and the new one bonds 24 and handles channel changes way better. So bigger pipe, better management of pipe traffic problems. I think Shaw is phasing these ones out so you might be able to get free swap.

Your slowdown could also be cause by the crappy wifi in that router. It is very weak wifi and if lots of people on the same channel, your traffic may get blocked.
Agree you should try to get an Advance Wifi modem upgrade. This will also get you 24 downstream channel bonding. If you complain on evening slow downs they will likely do it.
Dirty Mr. Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dirty Mr. Clean For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2016, 12:35 PM   #306
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know what really bugs me about Shaw is when you have modem problems. They won't let you go to a location and swap modems as they have to schedule a service call which means you have to wait close to a week. I had no internet for 5 days because I had to wait for a service guy to tell me what I already knew and replace the modem.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:13 PM   #307
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Mr. Clean View Post
Agree you should try to get an Advance Wifi modem upgrade. This will also get you 24 downstream channel bonding. If you complain on evening slow downs they will likely do it.
Can you still bridge these modems?
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keratosis For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2016, 07:35 PM   #308
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keratosis View Post
Can you still bridge these modems?
I think the Cisco one you can, the Hitron not sure.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:12 PM   #309
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ya. Pretty much what I heard too. Just spent $200 on a new router, so may hold off for a bit. My slow downs haven't been that bad. I'm still on bb50 and get between 30 and 60 down and 4 to 6 up depending on time of day.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:20 PM   #310
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Be a Kord cutter

Use Kodi/Tvmc and cut out cable. All the sports stations are available at no cost. Spend your money for internet not cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottabekd View Post
My Shaw bill has gone up $17 in the last 12 months. I've been humming and hawwing about switching to Telus to take advantage of their deals. But in the end, I decided to stay on Shaw and avoid the hassle of scheduling an install, being stuck on a 3 year contract in case the Telus Internet service is ####ty where I live.

Should also mention the Shaw rep I talked to said "Well, you are on a grandfathered account so you are paying less than new customers". Just because you jacked up your rates, doesn't mean I am getting a deal. Oh well, jokes on me I stick with them and pay it.

TV service just bugs me. I watch a few hours of sports a month, and pay $40/month for it. If there was a way to pay just $15/month for TSN and Sportsnet, I'd be all over that.
calgarygringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:40 PM   #311
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post

Thanks - got the updated modem! Working smashingly well so far.
Online (Chat/Twitter) Shaw peeps told me that old modem was fine. They did some tests and eventually suggested should send out a tech. Tech guy was great and had it all set up to replace before he arrived. Installed swiftly and (fingers crossed), working well since.

Still not happy about monthly amount paying, but at least getting what I pay for now. Sill debating calling Retentions./Loyalty.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:31 PM   #312
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Once you confirm it is working better, give them a call and request a refund for the past month or whatever you were stuck with poor service.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2016, 09:53 PM   #313
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like Shaw has done something weird to Free Range. I was using it a fair bit to watch programming on a TV in my bedroom via Chromecast. They don't have Chromecast support so I would just cast my device screen and fire up Free Range and watch on the TV. As of this week that doesn't work anymore. When I am casting my screen and try to play Free Range it says that it can only be watched on a mobile device due to agreements with the networks. When I stop casting Free Range works properly on my device.

This is a huge pain in the ass. Free Range is still pretty good but enabling this restriction really sucks. I'm also assuming that as a result of this they will never actually add Chromecast to the functionality.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:41 AM   #314
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Once you confirm it is working better, give them a call and request a refund for the past month or whatever you were stuck with poor service.
Will they actually oblige? I mean, they definitely should!

Thanks for the tip anyway and think I'll try.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:44 AM   #315
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I had issues in the past with our business account, they told me to wait until it was resolved, then call. I did and got I think a partial credit. Worth a try, anyway.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2016, 11:15 AM   #316
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our latest bill yesterday notified of us of an $8/month increase in our bill effective (I think) in August. No justification, no note explaining why, nothing other than a notation saying the price is going up. I trimmed our cable package a few months ago as the price was getting higher than I thought was necessary, looks like I may need to look at it again. Not sure what my options are however, Telus has told me in the past t (three times) that they do not plan to ever upgrade the service on my street. The Shaw Open wifi is attractive for our cellphone use, and we're not ready to cut the cord on TV quite yet. Still it pi$$es me off that the price continually goes up just so they can pay Jim another $6 million/year not to work there.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:28 PM   #317
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm...wrong thread
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:07 PM   #318
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Our latest bill yesterday notified of us of an $8/month increase in our bill effective (I think) in August. No justification, no note explaining why, nothing other than a notation saying the price is going up. I trimmed our cable package a few months ago as the price was getting higher than I thought was necessary, looks like I may need to look at it again. Not sure what my options are however, Telus has told me in the past t (three times) that they do not plan to ever upgrade the service on my street. The Shaw Open wifi is attractive for our cellphone use, and we're not ready to cut the cord on TV quite yet. Still it pi$$es me off that the price continually goes up just so they can pay Jim another $6 million/year not to work there.
Our bill is going up $9 as of August 1. I think it has increased almost $20 over the past year. I think it works out to be around a 15% increased over the past year.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:16 PM   #319
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Huh. Shaw just called me offering Shaw 15 for $25 a month for 6 months.

Jumped straight on that deal. 15 Mbps is more than enough for my own personal use.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:23 PM   #320
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

This has probably been brought up before, but does it bother any other Shaw customers that Shaw charges for service several months in advance?
I received an email in the first week of May stating that I owed over $300, but when I checked on shaw.ca, the $300+ bill included May-June, and June-July monthly charges.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote