Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-27-2011, 03:54 AM   #41
SoulOfTheFlame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
If that's all you're using it for I'd save a few bills and get a first-gen iPad, but that's just me. The iPad 2 basically just gets you more horsepower, which you don't need for movies/ebooks.
Thanks Mick

SoulOfTheFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:56 AM   #42
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Agreed. You can probably find an original iPad on the cheap on kijiji.
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:07 AM   #43
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Wife: "If you get a new iPad, I get your old one."

That's a green light if I ever heard one.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2011, 11:48 AM   #44
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Wife: "If you get a new iPad, I get your old one."

That's a green light if I ever heard one.
She basically just asked you to get one. With a case. And an HDMI adapter.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:10 PM   #45
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.businessinsider.com/motor...m-sales-2011-4

Motorola Xoom A Flop, Just 100,000 Sold So Far
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:10 AM   #46
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
http://www.businessinsider.com/motor...m-sales-2011-4

Motorola Xoom A Flop, Just 100,000 Sold So Far
That number should increase as the wifi only version just came out, but I still don't see it working with consumers just yet. Their main demo seems to be tech-saavy people unhappy with what the iPad offers.

I'm much more interested in how the playbook sells just because RIM has similarities to Apple in how they can sell products based on their brand alone.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:19 PM   #47
Lionel Steel
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I just bought I Xoom on Monday. Absolutely love it so far. Android 3.0 runs really well.

The lack of tablet-specific apps in the Android Market kind of sucks so far, but it runs all of the existing apps really well anyway. I'm sure their will be more options available as more Android tablets come onto the market.
Lionel Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:25 PM   #48
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting take on the tablet "wars" - Why No One Lines Up for the Motorola Xoom

Quote:
[A]re we really seeing the emergence of the tablet market? Or just the rise of the iPad? I would argue it's more of an Apple thing than the birth of a broader tablet market. At least for the foreseeable future.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:40 PM   #49
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
Interesting take on the tablet "wars" - Why No One Lines Up for the Motorola Xoom
Quote:
And a word to the wise for the other CEOs: Don't just ape the iPad. Microsoft executive Craig Mundie was actually on to something when he expressed doubt about the long-term viability of the tablet.

My spin on Mundie's statement: Apple may succeed with the tablet but not others necessarily.

Motorola, Microsoft, HP, RIM, et al should also heed another kernel of truth imparted by Mundie. A highly sophisticated smartphone--let's say a future version of the Motorola Droid X or the HTC Desire--may suffice for many consumers. So, as Mundie stated, the must-have device market for many consumers may be a futuristic high-end smartphone and newfangled laptop--sans tablet.
So in other words... rather than compete against the iPad, companies should just tell people to stfu about tablets and go back to their laptop and smartphone combo like good little consumers.

Interesting, indeed.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:55 PM   #50
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
So in other words... rather than compete against the iPad, companies should just tell people to stfu about tablets and go back to their laptop and smartphone combo like good little consumers.

Interesting, indeed.
I think it goes back to the old argument that the tablet is a tweener device that added another thing to lug around in our briefcases / backpacks.

If I had to place my money on where things end up, it’s with sophisticated smart phones plus ultra-thin laptops with a tablet-like touch capabilities and interface (think of a current iPad 2 with a fold out keyboard and the processing capability to run all OS X or Windows 7 programs). It’s not on phones + tablets for mobile consuming + laptops for mobile productivity.

Last edited by Mike F; 04-12-2011 at 02:59 PM.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2011, 08:35 PM   #51
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Playbook review at Engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/13/b...aybook-review/
Old 04-13-2011, 11:03 PM   #52
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I can't believe the playbook needs a blackberry paired with it for email and calendar. That just seems insane.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:33 AM   #53
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I can't believe the playbook needs a blackberry paired with it for email and calendar. That just seems insane.
That can't be true. Really?
Old 04-14-2011, 07:34 AM   #54
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ That was a deal breaker for my wife. She needed a tablet for work and once that became evident went with the iPad2.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:55 AM   #55
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

My opinion used to be that a tablet was just a ridiculous piece of technology that seemed redundant when paired with a decent laptop and a good smart phone. As I've become more and more adapted to working with a touch screen though, I've become more and more interested in the idea of having a larger screen on which to do much of my work.

I still think that tablets are going to be utterly redundant in a matter of a few short years though. I just expect that more mobile devices will be sufficiently advanced that a tablet will be unnecessary. I'm expecting gesture-based technologies and AR with smart phones to take off sufficiently that the best pairing will be to have a really good smart phone and a good, high-powered desktop at home. And for people whose needs are less demanding, I would think that a good smart phone paired with a range of technologies at home that will communicate with the phone will be enough.

For the next couple of years though, carting around a ten inch touch screen doesn't seem so bad.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:02 AM   #56
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was actually pretty under-whelmed with the iPad. Its not a knock against the iPad in particular, just the one tablet that I could play around with. Its fun and cool...but frankly other than the fact it turns on fast it just doesn't do it for me, and I kind of prefer the laptop.

I wanted to be wowed by it, mostly so that I could "need" a new toy. It could be that I had an iPhone for a couple of years though, and that this is basically the same thing but larger. If the day comes where I can use a tablet for business though, all bets are off!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:01 AM   #57
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wired.com review:

http://www.wired.com/reviews/2011/04...playbook/all/1

Another glaring flaw is the PlayBook’s complete lack of native e-mail, contacts and calendar apps. Want those apps? Log on to your Gmail account with the browser. BlackBerry smartphone owners can access e-mail on the PlayBook after installing RIM’s Bridge app, which connects the phone to the tablet by Bluetooth, but we weren’t able to test this feature.

If you don’t have a BlackBerry phone, you’re out of luck until summer, when RIM says a future software update will bring native clients to the PlayBook.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:14 AM   #58
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm starting to shy away from tablets where before I was quite interested, that small article on why "no one lines up for the Xoom" made some interesting points.

Now I'm starting to lean towards smart phones as I've never had one, but talk about overwhelming the amount of choice.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:36 AM   #59
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

There's a comfort level with tablets that I've never felt with laptops. I've never curled up in bed and read a book on a laptop. I have a hard time seeing them go away. I could see the laptop and tablet becoming more similar to each other, but I can't see the tablet going away.

Last edited by Russic; 04-14-2011 at 09:38 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:50 AM   #60
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I think the future will be a combined laptop/tablet. You'll be able to remove the laptop screen to use it as a touch screen tablet with all the same functionality.

For now though, the iPad is great for me for what I use it for. It's for reading books, magazines and comics. I've gone virtually paperless. I also use it for some games, video and displaying my portfolio and drafts to clients.

I do all my "heavy lifting" with my desktop.