Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Topic Organization preference?
Less topics, everything relating to the player in one pile 26 10.16%
More topics that are specific, but to a point 230 89.84%
Voters: 256. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-17-2018, 08:45 AM   #21
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just found it interesting a couple of posters have been debating about Sam Bennett worth to the team, and just as things start to get positive they start to talk about Sam Bennett's hit. I think Jiri got caught in the middle of that. I agree, which I think is Jiri's point, that the type of hits he is concerned about should be in a different thread.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2018, 08:46 AM   #22
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Actually I had no idea about the Bennett thing until now. Honestly I never checked the Bennett 'mega' thread.. I guess it's one of those defacto mega threads that was framed negatively, and thought it was the place to simply trash on on the player.. haha
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2018, 08:51 AM   #23
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't like megathreads. The only legit ones are "Edmonton Is No Good" and "Vancouver Is No Good", just because of their overall nogoodness. Even the new arena mega-threads become stale and irrelevant at some point. I don't see anything detrimental about new threads being started on topics that have been discussed at some point and some time. This is not a research site, it's a hockey forum.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:51 AM   #24
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I think that's unfair, and certainly not necessary.

Concussions in sports is a big issue, and it's very much on topic on a hit where a guy is now missing time with a head injury.

If you don't like that you're not going to enjoy the next few years of pro sports.
That's my point, Bingo. It *is* on topic, both in that specific thread, and as a potential separate discussion on that particular hit. So why, really, would someone feel bad about expressing an on topic opinion?
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2018, 08:52 AM   #25
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't care either way but get what users are saying from both sides of the spectrum. Fortunately I seem to always dig into threads new and old so anything is good with me.

I took a guess and voted for which one I thought we have the least amount of voters and succeeded!
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:56 AM   #26
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I think we as Moderators could probably help things out a bit by altering thread topic titles occasionally to reflect where the discussion is moving. The “too late to trade Bennett” thread has moved beyond that talking point, and would probably feel more accessible if it were identified as a more general Bennett discussion thread.
I think this vote is showing we don't need to change subject titles as much as allow more topics.

Bennett and his play this year
Trade Sam Bennett
Who Should Bennett Play With
Bennett injures Compheer

could all be different topics.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2018, 08:57 AM   #27
HUSKER4FLAMES
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I totally missed the Bennett hit also. I avoid the mega threads and look daily and pick a thread and try to read through it. One that thread has derailed I will not go back unless the headline changes with a news update. I come a few times a day. Pop in for a bit and don't want to try to play catch up in a mega thread that has four pages of two or three posters rehashing the same post. No complaint. Not addressing anyone. Just how I use the forum. Thank you
HUSKER4FLAMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:59 AM   #28
Redlan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I find that if I pop into a mega-thread and the present discussion has little value to me (i.e.: derailed), I have a tendency to not go back in unless there seems to be a lot of activity, but by then I missed some good discussion or am too late to the party.
Redlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:00 AM   #29
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I probably miss a lot of news because there's megathreads I don't bother going into anymore
On the other hand, small news threads also fall off the main page so quickly sometimes its easy to miss them. Especially if it's a busy time like trade deadline or start of UFA signing season.

I also often really enjoy when someone bumps an old thread to look at it from a new perspective.

I guess generally I feel pretty good about how things are. Mostly I think there should be some policing to keep some topics in their megathread. Like the neverending Sam Bennett debate.

Like, could we just have a rule of "no Bennett talk in the PGT, take it to the megathread."

A [mega] marking on the megathreads (or something) might also help casual users to understand what's what.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:03 AM   #30
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
On the other hand, small news threads also fall off the main page so quickly sometimes its easy to miss them. Especially if it's a busy time like trade deadline or start of UFA signing season.

I also often really enjoy when someone bumps an old thread to look at it from a new perspective.

I guess generally I feel pretty good about how things are. Mostly I think there should be some policing to keep some topics in their megathread. Like the neverending Sam Bennett debate.

Like, could we just have a rule of "no Bennett talk in the PGT, take it to the megathread."

A [mega] marking on the megathreads (or something) might also help casual users to understand what's what.
Well, we could limit it to discussion of what Bennett did in the game.

At one point last year I suggested that people should just post about the game in the GT and PGT and not generalities about the coach or players. Did I ever get cranky responses ("don't you tell me what to post").
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:07 AM   #31
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Megathreads are terrible.

Nothing on this site is worse than the necrobump of a thread from 5 years ago with a title that had little to do with the new topic being discussed (sometimes the discussion is the complete opposite of the title).

There's nothing at all wrong with starting a thread to discuss one particular idea or event, then letting it naturally fade when the conversation dies down.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2018, 09:10 AM   #32
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Specific topics will disappear off the first page quickly.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:10 AM   #33
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I voted more topics, but obviously only to a point. I think the mods do a good job locking duplicate threads and it doesn't seem like too many threads are a problem. I do recall some overzealous posters creating multiple threads, but that gets sorted out soon enough.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:12 AM   #34
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

The issue with megathreads is that while they’re an easy catch all they’re also bad because they’re an easy catch all. There’s no need to say “keep it OT” because outside of the vague topic of (for example) Bennett there is no real topic. So you get meandering conversations that vary wildly and give no real incentive to follow them. They lend themselves to bickering and whining. Specific threads on actual topics lend themselves to discussion.

Maybe some of us are just old now and these kids today love their megathreads but I wouldn’t mind more specific threads from time to time.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
_Q_
Old 10-17-2018, 09:12 AM   #35
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

I have an overwhelming urge to derail this thread.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2018, 09:13 AM   #36
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Specific topics will disappear off the first page quickly.
Yeah, that's a feature, not a bug (which you may have intended).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:17 AM   #37
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

First, I absolutely love this site and the people who contribute to it. The content and discussion here always seems to be a good precursor to what the talking heads discuss - if they ever bring the Flames up. It's a well-educated group here that knows their stuff.

As someone who constantly has a tab open (and depending on what the week's looking like... I'll refresh every 10 mins) - I have a much better understanding of what the mega threads are talking about. If you're popping in and out throughout the week, I can't imagine you're reading the 10+ pages of each mega-thread to see if something you're interested in is being talked about.

But I wish every major item was it's own thread for 2 reasons.
1. You can talk about that topic with people who are also interested
2. I don't have to read a side-discussion in a thread I am interested about
I think we lose a lot of valuable discussion when it has to compete linearly with everything else being discussed.

The larger threads will grow if there's ongoing interest in the OP, and the rest of the news will just find their way off the front page once discussion dies down. I love the practice threads as an example, as it is normally great discussion that sometimes fuels very interesting GDTs. It may grow to only 2-3 pages, but the content was relevant and interesting.

TL;DR: I like threads
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:18 AM   #38
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
A couple things
- Certainly I'm not afraid of facing criticism for my view. The debate is happy in many threads and I'm happy to continue that conversation
- There are some posters that indeed beat the drum in numerous threads, and given that the debate about hits and fighting is happening in other threads, I didn't want to be one of those posters that takes numerous threads in that directions, after I made my initial point

But I take exception to the notion that I don't what to face criticism for my view, when I have been having the debate, and I would say it a pretty respectful way with several posters, in numerous other threads.
It's rather absurd to say that you didn't want to take a thread in a certain direction after taking a thread in that direction, don't you think? That's the issue I have here: you basically said "this is my opinion, and now further discussion on it is off topic and it is not respectful to respond to it". That doesn't sit well with me. But if your reasoning was more benign than I took it, fair enough. I apologize.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:18 AM   #39
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm torn.

I don't like mega threads with multiple conversations going on in them, and 200 posts to rummage through to catch up every time you open them.

Conversely, I don't like having multiple threads simultaneously discussing the same thing.

So I guess status quo.

Also, I think Jankowski is not getting enough credit here!
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:21 AM   #40
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

On a far more general, but related topic: the implied preference for re-using threads results in those truly irritating necrobumps of old threads. Sometimes, even decade old threads. Enouraging people to create more new topics should help mitigate that issue as well.