Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-15-2018, 03:11 PM   #1
bizkitgto
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Will LNG revive Calgary?

LNG Canada project is a go, there was about 10 projects on the books in BC. If just 2 or 3 more get approved could we be back to double meat at Subway days again?
bizkitgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:17 PM   #2
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

No, most of the detailed engineering is outsourced to Japan for the LMG processes, Europe for the fancy tanks and China for the easy stuff. My understanding is module fabrication will be done in China as well.

So you are left with foundation and site design in Calgary plus project management. So I would say limited impact for Calgary. Construction may provide fly in fly out type work but that will be spread out throughout western Canada
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:22 PM   #3
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not by itself, but it will mitigate some of the damage. The gas wells themselves will be owned and operated by companies that are all HQ'd in Calgary. So drilling, completions, production, reservoir, pipeline, servicing etc. will be done mostly by companies who have a significant presence here and most of those people live here. Any return to drilling as a result of these projects will be beneficial to DT Calgary. Won't be double meat, but we might be able to afford actual meat products.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 06:00 PM   #4
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
No, most of the detailed engineering is outsourced to Japan for the LMG processes, Europe for the fancy tanks and China for the easy stuff. My understanding is module fabrication will be done in China as well.

So you are left with foundation and site design in Calgary plus project management. So I would say limited impact for Calgary. Construction may provide fly in fly out type work but that will be spread out throughout western Canada
Benefit to Calgary will be higher nat gas prices in western Canada, which would get tons of folks working if gas drilling could be justified again.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:24 PM   #5
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Benefit to Calgary will be higher nat gas prices in western Canada, which would get tons of folks working if gas drilling could be justified again.
I don't know about tons of people. The gas price would have to triple before anything exciting started to happen on the employment front.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:15 PM   #6
Brewmaster
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The other issue is that the Western Canadian gas market is oversupplied today, but LNG Canada won't start moving gas until around 2023. So on the E&P side of things, it won't be reviving much in the near term. It does give some light at the end of the tunnel for gas producers however, especially if additional LNG projects get built.
Brewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:27 PM   #7
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I don't know about tons of people. The gas price would have to triple before anything exciting started to happen on the employment front.
LNG in Australia has taken gas prices here to $12-$15/gj...they were $3.50/gj. LNG is a game changer.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:09 AM   #8
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post
LNG in Australia has taken gas prices here to $12-$15/gj...they were $3.50/gj. LNG is a game changer.
Great for producers but terrible for consumers. Our heating bills would sky rocket if gas hit $12 to $15/gj. Many people seriously would not be able to heat their homes. Half of our electricity is produced by NG as well so our power bills would spike too.

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 10-16-2018 at 06:12 AM.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:14 AM   #9
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

12-15 dollar Nat Gas would also crush the oil sands. Fuel cost is a significant portion of Expenses.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:22 AM   #10
RockLicker
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Now I am not an LNG expert by any means, and I don't have a detailed understanding of this project, but I'm pretty sure Petronas/et al will be able to fill this terminal from 2023 virtually in perpetuity. Seems to me, they've spent the last years drilling gas at a loss to prove their resource, and FID is made now with all the takeaway spoken for through the foreseeable life of the project. Once capacity for takeaway is built, Petronas and Shell (and maybe the other project partners in Horn River shales? Kogas? Mitsubishi? Are they still in there?) will just scale up drilling and fill it up.

Average joe E&P is not accessing the global gas market unless this is a harbinger of more LNG projects.

I may be proven wrong about the long term impact, but I have a hard time seeing this shifting the Western Canadian gas market all that much, aside from maybe taking a little bit of pressure off Station 2.

Of course if this opens the door for more projects, then all bets are off, but that's a long, twisted, politically ridiculous ways off.
RockLicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:42 AM   #11
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Petronas and friends won't be buying gas, you're right, they'll just sell there own. However, right now they're selling a lot of gas at Station 2 that they will instead ship to Asia. Lower supply in western Canada should mean higher prices. Also, if one works we will probably get more.

I don't think $12/GJ is likely either here, but even if we started getting $3-4 I think a lot more of the liquids rich gas would be economic again.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:35 PM   #12
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Great for producers but terrible for consumers. Our heating bills would sky rocket if gas hit $12 to $15/gj. Many people seriously would not be able to heat their homes. Half of our electricity is produced by NG as well so our power bills would spike too.
The Montney has the potential to be one of the most prolific gas plays in the world, with a world-class top 5 proven resource play. It does need higher prices for it to be viable long term, but any increase in price will drive much higher production. I think prices wont rise substantially even with significant LNG exports.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:24 PM   #13
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post
Much of that cost is also due to the various Australian state level governments restricting exploration and development of new NG sources and prohibiting fracking.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:15 PM   #14
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
Much of that cost is also due to the various Australian state level governments restricting exploration and development of new NG sources and prohibiting fracking.
They also have been forcing closure of all the coal power producers haven't they?
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:35 PM   #15
RockLicker
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
The Montney has the potential to be one of the most prolific gas plays in the world, with a world-class top 5 proven resource play. It does need higher prices for it to be viable long term, but any increase in price will drive much higher production. I think prices wont rise substantially even with significant LNG exports.
Totally agree. That amount of gas in place in the Montney is staggering.
RockLicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:29 PM   #16
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
They also have been forcing closure of all the coal power producers haven't they?
Yeah, ~10% of their coal fleet has been shutdown in the last couple of years and only partially replaced by wind and solar, so increased natural gas demand for electricity plus exports means Australians now pay high retail prices for both NG and electricity.

I guess out of two bad options, it's better to be oversupplied with energy than under supplied.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:58 PM   #17
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
Yes. The shortage on supply carried the LNG price to the market. The LNG here is 95% contracted on oil linked contracts. Those prices are still achieved despite what else is going on. The public and industry are feeling the hurt of short supply.

The WCS differential is cool to chat about in the short term, but unstranding Canadian NG is the future. A world NG price of $5.50 - $12/GJ is achievable when the plants FID.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote