Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-27-2018, 12:00 PM   #141
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Familia View Post
See, everyone misses us already! People love to hate on Italy and that's OK, I wouldn't have it any other way. This tournament won't be the same without Italy, Netherlands, USA, etc.

I do agree that Italy needs a solid rebuild. A tournament break might be a good chance for a reset. We will let some of the other countries try and capture a World Cup or two, spread the wealth.

So who do I cheer for now? I guess the only solid option is Argentina...
USA has not really been relevant at the WC, with the exception of one time in the QF. Their impact at the World Cup is similar to Belarus or Latvia in Hockey's World Championship. I agree about Italy and Holland though.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 05-27-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamenspiel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2018, 12:32 PM   #142
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

The Saudi squad for the friendly against Italy tomorrow. Good luck to play by play guys.

Quote:

Goalkeepers:#Assaf Al-Qarny (Al-Ittihad), Mohammed Al-Owais (Al Ahli), Yasser Al-Musailem (Al Alhi), Abdullah Al-Mayuf (Al Hilal).

Defenders:#Mansoor Al-Harbi (Al Ahli), Yasser Al-Shahrani (Al Hilal) Mohammed Al-Breik (Al HIlal), Saeed Al-Mowalad (Al Ahli), Motaz Hawsawi (Al Ahli), Osama Hawsaw (Al Hilal)i, Omar Hawsawi (Al Nassr), Mohammed Jahfali (Al Hilal), Ali Al-Bulaihi (Al Hilal).

Midfielders:#Abdullah Al-Khaibari (Al Shabab), Abdulmalek Al-Khaibri (Al Hilal), Abdullah Otayf (Al Hilal), Taiseer Al-Jassim (Al Ahli), Houssain Al-Mogahwi (Al Ahli), Salman Al-Faraj, Nawaf Al-Abed, Mohamed Kanno (all Al Hilal), Hattan Bahebri (Al Shabab), Mohammed Al-Kwikbi (Al Ettifaq), Salem Al-Dawsari (Villarreal, Spain), Yehya Al-Shehri (Leganes, Spain).

Forwards:#Fahad Al-Muwallad (Levante, Spain), Mohammad Al-Sahlawi (Al Nassr), Muhannad Assiri (Al Ahli).

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2018, 04:18 PM   #143
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
USA has not really been relevant at the WC, with the exception of one time in the QF. Their impact at the World Cup is similar to Belarus or Latvia in Hockey's World Championship. I agree about Italy and Holland though.
But they are the USA though and their impact is 100 times greater than Belarus in hockey.

For better or for worse.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:15 PM   #144
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^^You must mean in the context of world events, not in football though. From a purely sporting perspective the last time they played a significant game was the quarter final loss to Ghana which was a few world cups back. Indeed Belarus had more of an impact when they beat Sweden in the 2002 QF at the Olympic hockey tournament and reached the semi final, the US has never got that far and they appear to have peaked in this particular sport.

This is one event where they have no significant impact, short of a Canadian obsession with all things US. Furthermore their lack of participation in this world cup is irrelevant(outside of US Fans missing them), and I don't see how it would change anything. Even from a CONCACAF point of view Costa Rica and Mexico have been much better in recent years.

I think you must be referring to the US women's team.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:37 PM   #145
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Hoping Neuer can be fit enough, he's going to be a dealbreaker. Ter Stegen is good insurance but I still think Neuer will be elite if he's in form
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:05 AM   #146
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya know, I'll take a flyer on Neuer letting in a howler if he's fit.

Knowing he loves to sweep and go roaming, and having not played for 9 months, he's due for another.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:28 AM   #147
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^^You must mean in the context of world events, not in football though. From a purely sporting perspective the last time they played a significant game was the quarter final loss to Ghana which was a few world cups back. Indeed Belarus had more of an impact when they beat Sweden in the 2002 QF at the Olympic hockey tournament and reached the semi final, the US has never got that far and they appear to have peaked in this particular sport.

This is one event where they have no significant impact, short of a Canadian obsession with all things US. Furthermore their lack of participation in this world cup is irrelevant(outside of US Fans missing them), and I don't see how it would change anything. Even from a CONCACAF point of view Costa Rica and Mexico have been much better in recent years.

I think you must be referring to the US women's team.
No I am referring to the USA. The global superpower and media magnet that attracts attention wherever it’s athletes play. Really no comparison to Belarus.

Canada is not the only country in the world aware of the US influence and reach.

I hear you from “a purely sporting perspective” but the World Cup is like the Olympics and is much more than a little tournament.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:37 AM   #148
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Ya know, I'll take a flyer on Neuer letting in a howler if he's fit.

Knowing he loves to sweep and go roaming, and having not played for 9 months, he's due for another.
Silence you!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:10 AM   #149
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
No I am referring to the USA. The global superpower and media magnet that attracts attention wherever it’s athletes play. Really no comparison to Belarus.

Canada is not the only country in the world aware of the US influence and reach.

I hear you from “a purely sporting perspective” but the World Cup is like the Olympics and is much more than a little tournament.
Because of the massive size of the World Cup as more than a sporting event, no one really cares about the US making it or not. Even when England misses, Europe's English language media cares but the world, not really.

Old 05-28-2018, 09:13 AM   #150
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go Iceland! Beat the crap out of everyone please.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:29 AM   #151
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Go Iceland! Beat the crap out of everyone please.
Hitching your wagon to that underdog early huh?

Thats the interesting part about the World Cup and short tournaments though, a well-disciplined team can surprise.

That being said though, Iceland have lost their element of surprise. They're not sneaking up on anyone anymore.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:38 AM   #152
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Neuer is not fit for Germany, Karius just played in the Champions League final so he must be good...

Also check out his "Personal Life" section on his wikipedia page. You'll be amazed at this incredible thing.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2018, 09:38 AM   #153
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

Thats the interesting part about the World Cup and short tournaments though, a well-disciplined team can surprise.

That being said though, Iceland have lost their element of surprise. They're not sneaking up on anyone anymore.
Their first game against Argentina will be really interesting. Can they use their height against the short and weak Argentina keeper and defense. Especially on set pieces. Argentine keepers are notoriously bad in the air. Can that be the surprise.

Old 05-28-2018, 09:38 AM   #154
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

3 points, -3 GD, out in the group stage. That's my prediction for Iceland.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:39 AM   #155
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'd love to see them oust the standard soccer superpowers. Underdog stories are so much more fun to cheer for than the usual countries who are always pegged to win it.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:42 AM   #156
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Iceland have lost some of that 2014 to 2016 magic. That said, you never know which Croatia will show up, Argentina is not what they used to be, and African sides can outmuscle you or fall flat on their faces vs Euro sides.

I'd be surprised, but not shocked if any of the teams from that group progress.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:00 AM   #157
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Their first game against Argentina will be really interesting. Can they use their height against the short and weak Argentina keeper and defense. Especially on set pieces. Argentine keepers are notoriously bad in the air. Can that be the surprise.
Iran almost tied Argentina last World Cup. Anything is possible
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:03 AM   #158
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Iran almost tied Argentina last World Cup. Anything is possible
That was a weird tournament. Everyone nearly beat Argentina on their way to the final.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:36 PM   #159
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Indeed Belarus had more of an impact when they beat Sweden in the 2002 QF at the Olympic hockey tournament and reached the semi final, the US has never got that far
Sorry to nitpick, but this is incorrect. The US were semifinalists in the first world cup back in 1930. To this day it remains the closest a CONCACAF side has come to the trophy. Granted it was a much different tournament back then with only 13 teams and the knockout stage was just the 4 group winners.

The QF appearances by Mexico x2, the US and Costa Rica are arguably more significant achievements.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:21 PM   #160
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Socceroos smashed the Czechs 4-0 in a warm up match last night. Dominating a European team gives me some hope they won't get completely embarrassed in a ridiculously hard group.

Tags
cry for argentina , diving , it's not coming home , orange slices , var is no good