Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-14-2017, 12:39 PM   #2401
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

That account is 100% fabrication but keeps getting posted. He's doing a great job of creating a brand it seems, a baby Eklund for the new generation.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2017, 12:41 PM   #2402
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

To be fair he has called some things in advance.

Chris Kelly PTO with Edmonton for example.
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2017, 12:42 PM   #2403
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

He predicted Wideman to the Oilers. I was so hoping for that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2017, 12:43 PM   #2404
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Duchene is overvalued by the Avs.

Quote:
Adrian Dater‏Verified account @adater 3h3 hours ago
More
Matt Duchene will not answer questions. "Only here out of respect for teammates"
Quote:
@DarrenDreger 4h4 hours ago
More
Duchene update: Plan is to attend camp, but sources say both sides remain committed to trade as best case and will continue to work on it.
How much could a team possibly get when their relationship has soured to this point?

It doesn't make any sense to me what the Avs/Sakic are doing at this point.
The Following User Says Thank You to robaur For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2017, 12:44 PM   #2405
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I can't see how the Avs would be in interested in a center that's a year from free agency as the centerpiece of the deal. I have to think Bennett would be part of the return especially given his contract for the next two years.
He wouldn't be the centrepiece, I never suggested that. But, they would try and negotiate an extension with him in that scenario. Backlund is our best centre not named Monahan.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:44 PM   #2406
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
To be fair he has called some things in advance.

Chris Kelly PTO with Edmonton for example.
Must have some vague insider source(s) and throwing all of it up against the wall in hopes some of it sticks.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:46 PM   #2407
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Does this guy have any legitimacy? Honest question.

For discussion purposes, Backlund would likely be involved in the package going the other way.
No thanks. They can't have Bennett, Tkchuck, Gadreau, Monahan, Backlund, Frolik, or Jankowski. Essentially not willing to trade any good player or blue chip prospect that we have rights to for several years for a player with 1 year left on his contract and UFA looming. They cant take a parcel of prospects because the flames couldn't absorb a 6 million dollar salary into the NHL roster. Unless they covet Brouwer and Stajan, I dont see any way that this thing gets done.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlamesFanTrev For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2017, 12:46 PM   #2408
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He wouldn't be the centrepiece, I never suggested that. But, they would try and negotiate an extension with him in that scenario. Backlund is our best centre not named Monahan.
I agree as Duchene also probably pushes Backlund out but why would Backlund want to sign an extension with that mess of an organization unless they overpay him which is something that organization seems loathe to do with their own star players.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:47 PM   #2409
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Flames are a buzzword right now due to the arena chat. This clown is trying to cash in on the popularity.

The fact that he hashtagged the Flames tells you all you need to know.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:47 PM   #2410
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Must have some vague insider source(s) and throwing all of it up against the wall in hopes some of it sticks.
That's my guess.

Probably gets wind of a lot of crap and some true things, then claims everything is concrete just in case.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:50 PM   #2411
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanTrev View Post
No thanks. They can't have Bennett, Tkchuck, Gadreau, Monahan, Backlund, Frolik, or Jankowski. Essentially not willing to trade any good player or blue chip prospect that we have rights to for several years for a player with 1 year left on his contract and UFA looming. They cant take a parcel of prospects because the flames couldn't absorb a 6 million dollar salary into the NHL roster. Unless they covet Brouwer and Stajan, I dont see any way that this thing gets done.
Giving a quality, young pending-UFA centre in Backlund as a piece for a quality, young pending-UFA centre in Duchene actually is the basis of a good deal. Not sure who said Backlund was untouchable. You? Are you Treliving?

If I were Colorado, I'd wait until the trade deadline and secure an absolute ransom from the highest bidder then.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:52 PM   #2412
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
No idea who this guy is - but something to chat about.

Joshua Marshall
@JMarshyBosco93
.@Avalanche are close to trading Matt Duchene, I'm told it could happen as early as Saturday morning. I'm told the #Flames are in the mix...
I wish people would stop reposting this guy's garbage.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2017, 12:54 PM   #2413
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Giving a quality, young pending-UFA centre in Backlund as a piece for a quality, young pending-UFA centre in Duchene actually is the basis of a good deal. Not sure who said Backlund was untouchable. You? Are you Treliving?

If I were Colorado, I'd wait until the trade deadline and secure an absolute ransom from the highest bidder then.
I would say that our odds of signing Backlund are 100 times better then re-signing Duchene. Backlund is home gown, and has built ties to this city. I also dont think he gets a contract for more then the 6mill that duchene is making right now, and due for a raise come next contract most likely.

And no, im not Treliving. I also never pretended to be. I love this argument though, when someone posts their personal opinion. "What do you know, are you the GM?" Well done, very original.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesFanTrev For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2017, 12:55 PM   #2414
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Colorado has been trying to secure an absolute ransom from the highest bidder.

They turned down Hamonic, 1st round pick, 2nd round pick offer (or something close to this) from the Islanders this season before they traded Hamonic to CGY.

It's become crystal-clear that GM's are not lining up to play ball at Sakic's asking price, and why would they? Avs pretty much have zero leverage in this situation and Duchene's value deteriorates the longer they hold on.
The Following User Says Thank You to robaur For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2017, 01:06 PM   #2415
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
It's become crystal-clear that GM's are not lining up to play ball at Sakic's asking price, and why would they? Avs pretty much have zero leverage in this situation and Duchene's value deteriorates the longer they hold on.
I disagree. I think Duchene, should he remain an Avalanche until the deadline, becomes a hot commodity again. Sakic may have turned down good offers in the past, but that doesn't mean he will in the future. Once Duchene's contract winds down, Sakic will break. It'll happen, watch.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:10 PM   #2416
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
I wish people would stop reposting this guy's garbage.

Here's Friedman from earlier in the summer:

Quote:
6. Everyone decided to take a deep breath and go back to their corners when Matt Duchene wasn’t traded July 1. It sounds like everyone is realizing the possibility he could start next season in Colorado. But remember this: Avalanche assistant GM Chris MacFarland was with Scott Howson in Columbus when Howson waited until July 20, 2012, to trade Rick Nash. Sometimes the best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour, and MacFarland could be following that blueprint. I wouldn’t be surprised if interested parties (Boston, Columbus, Nashville, Pittsburgh, maybe Calgary) try again to see if anything shakes loose.
So yeah, it totally could be complete rubbish - or just regurgitating of Friedman from earlier in the Summer - but I absolutely believe Tree has engaged in talks regarding Duchene, because we know just how active our GM is.

The Flames could absolutely use a C/LW with a high skill level, and if Colorado would swallow some salary, I see the Flames/Avs as a good match because the Avs are after high quality D prospects/NHL ready D-men, and we have an abundance of high quality prospects (Valimaki, Andersson, Kylington, Fox) while also having a defensive group at the NHL level that is locked up for the next 3+ years.

I think Duchene + Calgary makes a lot of sense. I see it as an LA acquiring Jeff Carter style move.

Last edited by ComixZone; 09-14-2017 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:11 PM   #2417
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I disagree. I think Duchene, should he remain an Avalanche until the deadline, becomes a hot commodity again. Sakic may have turned down good offers in the past, but that doesn't mean he will in the future. Once Duchene's contract winds down, Sakic will break. It'll happen, watch.
If the Avs wasted a full year before going back and accepting a similar offer, Sakic needs to be fired. That's terrible asset management. You pretty much just wasted a year in the life of the Avs organization, Duchene's career, and damaged your public image. All for what? It's terrible.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:13 PM   #2418
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dude said the Flames we're in the mix. Well duh, the sky is blue and water is wet.
It's a well known fact Treliving is in on everything. I honestly don't know if there's another GM in all of professional sports with his fingers on the pulse of his league like Treliving.

That said. I wonder what a package would look like for the Flames now that Sakic is under the microscope. They need D men badly. The Flames have that in spades.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:13 PM   #2419
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
If the Avs wasted a full year before going back and accepting a similar offer, Sakic needs to be fired. That's terrible asset management. You pretty much just wasted a year in the life of the Avs organization, Duchene's career, and damaged your public image. All for what? It's terrible.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm not defending Sakic. He's been a bad GM since before the Duchene fiasco. Mis-managment is his M.O.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:17 PM   #2420
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Friedman did mention the Flames/Duchene earlier in the summer.
Frank Serevali did as well
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread