Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-10-2019, 10:56 AM   #1
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Ethiopian Max 8 crashes, Canadians on board

All 157 dead including 18 Canadians, pictures coming in show the plane disintegrated on impact.

Ethiopian Flight 302
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:02 AM   #2
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Something going on with this type of jetliner? 2 crashes just a few months apart with this model.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:02 AM   #3
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is extremely tragic. Was a brand new plane too.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:44 AM   #4
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Something going on with this type of jetliner? 2 crashes just a few months apart with this model.
I think this was very catastrophic failure, calm and sunny and the plane went off radar seconds after the pilot sent a distress call, The Lion Air crash had some chatter before it went down. I hope they ground these aircraft at least till they know they're not the same cause.
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2019, 11:58 AM   #5
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m sure some much more intune with aviation will chirp in, but it seems to be a sensor that tries to correct forcing a stall by adjusting the angle of the nose (thereby causing it to nosedive). FWIW, Boeing stated in the Lion Air crash that it was pilot error. According to reddit, this puts the failure rate of the new MAX 8s somewhere in the 1% rate.

Both Air Canada and Westlet use MAX8s.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 12:03 PM   #6
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yikes.... Was on a United 737 max 8 last night. I'm hoping my flight this afternoon isn't on one of these.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 12:05 PM   #7
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just to provide some further reference, from the New York Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/10/w...x-8-crash.html

Quote:
What is known after the crash in Indonesia?

It was too soon to tell on Sunday whether the causes of the Ethiopian Airlines crash were the same as or similar to those of the Lion Air crash in Indonesia last year.

But there are some initial similarities: On Sunday, the flight lost contact about six minutes after takeoff. The pilot had been given clearance to return to the airport in Addis Ababa, according to Ethiopian Airlines, which operated the flight. But the plane went down near Bishoftu, about 35 miles southeast of Addis Ababa.

The crash last year also involved a plane that went down minutes after takeoff and after the crew requested permission to return to the airport.

In that case, investigations by the Indonesian and American aviation authorities determined that the Lion Air plane’s abrupt nose dive might have been caused by updated Boeing software that was meant to prevent a stall but that can send the plane into a fatal descent if the altitude and angle information being fed into the computer system is incorrect.

The change in the flight control system, which can override manual motions in the Max model, was not explained to pilots, according to some pilots’ unions.

After that crash, Boeing said that it was continuing “to evaluate the need for software or other changes as we learn more from the ongoing investigation.” It was unclear if the company had made any changes.

In a statement on Sunday, Boeing said it was “deeply saddened” to learn of the crash of Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302.

“A Boeing technical team is prepared to provide technical assistance at the request and under the direction of the U.S. National Transportation Safety Board,” the company said.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 12:22 PM   #8
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

RIP, very tragic. I can’t inagine a more helpless way to go than stuck to a seat in a plane.
Not looking all that forward to taking one of these planes in 16 hours.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 12:46 PM   #9
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was just talking to my brother about this, he's a pilot. He said the override is very simple and it's obvious that something would have gone wrong as the trim wheel will be turning and making a bunch of noise. You reach over, hit a button, and set the trim properly.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 12:49 PM   #10
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Are the standards to be a commercial pilot flying massive airplanes different in Indonesia/Ethiopia vs Canada and the USA?

Last edited by flames_fan_down_under; 03-10-2019 at 01:12 PM.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 12:51 PM   #11
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The cabin of the 737-8 Max was impressive flying with WestJet from Calgary to Toronto a few months ago. Getting off the plane, I was surprisingly fresh compared to other flights. Impressive plane.

I feel truly sorry for those lost souls. Terrible and helpless way to go. RIP
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 01:00 PM   #12
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Are the standards to be a commercial pilot flying massive airplanes different in India/Ethiopia vs Canada and the USA?
I believe you were asking about Indonesia and not India.

But from what I have heard, there is always a shortage of pilots in India due to the increase in number of people opting for domestic air travel
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to agulati For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2019, 01:44 PM   #13
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just learnt from a family friend that a member of their family was on that flight
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:01 PM   #14
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Now I'm kind of hoping that the plane I take in a couple weeks is an old one.
Amethyst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:50 PM   #15
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
I think this was very catastrophic failure, calm and sunny and the plane went off radar seconds after the pilot sent a distress call, The Lion Air crash had some chatter before it went down. I hope they ground these aircraft at least till they know they're not the same cause.
Firstly, Godspeed to all those who perished in this crash.

Good grief. Jump to conclusions much? Just because it was clear and sunny does not rule out pilot error... The MAX is a great aircraft as is the entire 737 lineage. There is good reason the 737 is the most popular aircraft in commercial aviation history, it also has one of the best safety records.

Have you ever done any research on the safety history of Lion Air? If not, I recommend you do so. The entire continent of Africa has a dismal safety record with most indigenous carriers.

I would wait until the investigation sees fruition before blaming the aircraft involved.

For those worried about flying the 737 MAX, I suggest you fear not.
FLAME ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FLAME ENVY For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2019, 06:54 PM   #16
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

One of the Canadians on the flight was a professor from Carleton that my friend knows quite well. RIP to him and condolences to his family and all families with lost loved ones in this tragedy.

Last edited by Ozy_Flame; 03-10-2019 at 06:57 PM.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:04 PM   #17
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME ENVY View Post
Firstly, Godspeed to all those who perished in this crash.

Good grief. Jump to conclusions much? Just because it was clear and sunny does not rule out pilot error... The MAX is a great aircraft as is the entire 737 lineage. There is good reason the 737 is the most popular aircraft in commercial aviation history, it also has one of the best safety records.

Have you ever done any research on the safety history of Lion Air? If not, I recommend you do so. The entire continent of Africa has a dismal safety record with most indigenous carriers.

I would wait until the investigation sees fruition before blaming the aircraft involved.

For those worried about flying the 737 MAX, I suggest you fear not.
I'm not blaming the MAX but it wouldn't hurt to temporarily ground them to make sure.

Have you looked at the flight data? this aircraft had big trouble getting up to altitude as the VSpeed was all over the place which is eerily similar to the Lion Air crash.

By the way China just grounded it's 737 max fleet

Last edited by Snuffleupagus; 03-10-2019 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:20 PM   #18
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Was there a reason there were so many Canadians on board? Some kind of African tour or an aid group or something? Or maybe new Canadians visiting family? Seems disproportionate.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:26 PM   #19
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Two Edmontonians and a Calgarian also confirmed on board.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:39 PM   #20
takinghits
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME ENVY View Post
The entire continent of Africa has a dismal safety record with most indigenous carriers.
I bet your #### don't stink.
takinghits is offline   Reply With Quote