Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-15-2019, 08:22 PM   #1061
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Well, they need to take the focus off the homefront, especially with a recession on the horizon and the economic decisions of the past two years coming home to roost...
Old 05-15-2019, 08:47 PM   #1062
OMG!WTF!
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

There really is a tweet for everything. Here's a couple 2012 Trump tweets...

Quote:
"Now that Obama's poll numbers are in tailspin -- watch for him to launch a strike in Libya or Iran. He is desperate."(10/9/12)

"Don't let Obama play the Iran card in order to start a war in order to get elected--be careful Republicans!" (10/22/12)

OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:32 PM   #1063
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lindsay Graham should go visit the troops in the ME now like he likes to do and explain to them that their chances of coming home in a body bag just went way up, because their President is a fkn moron
Old 05-16-2019, 09:44 AM   #1064
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
There really is a tweet for everything. Here's a couple 2012 Trump tweets...
More of that
https://twitter.com/statuses/141604554855825408
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:44 AM   #1065
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trump pardons Conrad Black. Of course it has nothing to do with the fact that Black wrote a glowing book about him and helped build Trump Tower in Chicago.

https://www.vox.com/2019/5/16/186276...d-black-pardon

Quote:
On Wednesday, President Donald Trump followed through on a campaign promise he made to Conrad Black, a former media mogul and business partner, by pardoning him for fraud and obstruction of justice convictions.

In late 2015, Black — who was convicted in 2007 and spent more than three years in prison before being released in 2012 — wrote a piece for National Review headlined “Trump Is the Good Guy.”

“It is time to look more seriously at the Donald Trump presidential candidacy,” the piece begins. “Donald Trump — who, I should disclose, is an old friend, a fine and generous and loyal man, and a delightful companion — is striking very close to the heart of the American problem: the corrupt, dysfunctional political system and the dishonest media.”

Trump, who also partnered with Black in the construction of Trump Tower in Chicago, shared Black’s piece on Twitter, adding that “[a]s one of the truly great intellects & my friend, I won’t forget!”
Quote:
Black’s National Review piece wasn’t the only time he penned praise for Trump. More recently, he wrote a book titled Donald J Trump: A President Like No Other. The book describes Trump as “not, in fact, a racist, sexist, warmonger, hothead, promoter of violence, or a foreign or domestic economic warrior.”

“Like the country he represents, Donald Trump possesses the optimism to persevere and succeed, the confidence to affront tradition and convention, a genius for spectacle, and a firm belief in common sense and the common man,” the first page begins.
Quote:
In addition to Black, the White House announced on Wednesday that Trump is pardoning Patrick Nolan, a former Republican leader of the California state assembly who pleaded guilty to a racketeering charge and spent 29 months in federal custody. The Washington Post notes that Nolan, like Black, is close to Trump. Last year, Nolan, who now works with the American Conservative Union Foundation’s Center for Criminal Justice Reform, publicly criticized the Mueller investigation, telling RealClearPolitics it was evidence of a legal system in which lawmakers “decide who they’re going to prosecute and then hunt for a crime.”
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:02 AM   #1066
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great stuff from Sam Bee last night on the abortion debate.

direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 11:02 AM   #1067
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
I’m not so sure it’s posturing: while Russia is opposed, Israel and the Saudis are gung-ho. Israel was the “source” of the latest “classified intel”, and the Saudis would love to have the regional rivals destroyed by a superpower. The Saudis have also been quite chummy with Russia of late, so Russian support for Iran has definitely weakened.

And then there’s Bolton.

This is an almost unbelievably scary situation. A war with Iran would cost millions upon millions of lives.
This is the only thing that matters.

Set aside the media circus of the Russia investigation. Putin knows what he did. Trump knows what Putin did. Putin controls Trump.

Trump can't give a press conference that's displeasing to Putin, so I think it's a bit of a stretch to suggest he's going to be able to start a war with Iran against the wishes of his patron.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:03 PM   #1068
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not like we need more evidence that these people are disgusting frauds.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/anti...ry?id=50274843

Quote:
Pennsylvania Rep. Tim Murphy has resigned after a report surfaced earlier this week that he had asked an extramarital lover to end her pregnancy.

Murphy, a Republican who co-sponsored a 20-week abortion ban that passed in the House Tuesday, allegedly asked his lover to terminate her pregnancy, according to text message records acquired by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

"And you have zero issue posting your pro-life stance all over the place when you had no issue asking me to abort our unborn child just last week when we thought that was one of the options," allegedly wrote Edwards in a text exchange that was a part of a number of documents obtained by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

A response from Murphy's phone number allegedly read, "I get what you say about my March for life messages. I've never written them. Staff does them. I read them and winced. I told staff don't write any more. I will."
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 12:08 PM   #1069
woob
First Line Centre

Exp:

Do as I say, not as I do.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:17 PM   #1070
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Not like we need more evidence that these people are disgusting frauds.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/anti...ry?id=50274843
This is from October 2017?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 12:17 PM   #1071
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
This is from October 2017?
Whoops. My bad.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:19 PM   #1072
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean, it's still hilarious and sad but I was a bit surprised that Republicans were only looking for a 20-week ban, what with the 6-week ones we've seen recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:29 PM   #1073
aaronck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I thought this was pretty bang on for what's happening in Alabama right now...
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aaronck For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 01:29 PM   #1074
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Not that Alabama is really high on anybody's travel bucket list, but does this now open up a Pandora's Box for women visiting the US from other countries where they may have had legal abortions or even medical doctors that have performed abortions? Do they have now have to worry about whether they'll be charged with a crime or made inadmissible if they don't want to answer the question.
These abortion laws would see doctors who preform abortions charged. Women that have abortions performed on them will not be charged.
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:31 PM   #1075
Red Slinger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post
These abortion laws would see doctors who preform abortions charged. Women that have abortions performed on them will not be charged.
I haven't read the bill so I'll take your word for it. But that doesn't explain the possible investigations into women that have miscarriages.

Anyway you slice it this is a pretty disgusting bill.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:36 PM   #1076
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Is it possible to be pro-choice and yet think there should be some limitations on when women should be able to have abortions?

Because that's where I fall.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 01:39 PM   #1077
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
I haven't read the bill so I'll take your word for it. But that doesn't explain the possible investigations into women that have miscarriages.

Anyway you slice it this is a pretty disgusting bill.
The investigation would be to determine if someone gave the pregnant woman something to induce an aborted pregnancy. The pregnant woman herself cannot be charged.

David French does a good review of the Georgia heartbeat bill if you are interested.

Quote:
The heartbeat bill did not repeal a number of Georgia criminal statutes that explicitly apply to abortions and unborn children, and it does not overrule controlling legal authority holding that these statutes bar prosecution of a woman for terminating her own pregnancy.
https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...ave-abortions/
Old 05-16-2019, 01:42 PM   #1078
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post
The investigation would be to determine if someone gave the pregnant woman something to induce an aborted pregnancy. The pregnant woman herself cannot be charged.

David French does a good review of the Georgia heartbeat bill if you are interested.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...ave-abortions/
Thanks for this.

It certainly clears up some of the sensationalizations I have been seeing and kind of incredulous about.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:45 PM   #1079
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

So if a woman takes steps independently of anyone else to induce a miscarriage, there are no charges to anyone, but if she receives any assistance, the person providing that assistance can be charged? If that's the case, that's horrifying.

(Excepting of course for the fact that this is all political theatre to get abortion before the supreme court again, also horrifying but for different reasons.)
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:48 PM   #1080
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Thanks for this.

It certainly clears up some of the sensationalizations I have been seeing and kind of incredulous about.
Agreed. I think the media has been absolutely shameful in how they have covered this. I understand if you are pro-choice and think that these laws are wrong, but there is no reason to mischaracterize what the laws actually do.