Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2018, 09:41 AM   #1
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:
Default the ongoing anti- racism, anti- oppression thread

I think this sort of stuff finally deserves its own dedicated thread because you could easily add a new story on a daily basis.

Congress eases rules against racial discrimination in the auto loan market

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/09/cong...an-market.html

Quote:
The color of your skin can make buying a car more expensive, decades of experiments and data show.
As a result, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau put out a notice in 2013 reaffirming that discriminatory auto lending is illegal.
The House voted Tuesday to undo that guidance, weeks after the Senate took the same action. The measure now moves to President Donald Trump, who is expected to sign it into law.
Quote:
Just this year, the National Fair Housing Alliance, a collection of organizations that fight against housing and other types of lending discrimination, launched an investigation into the auto loan industry by sending white and nonwhite "testers" into car dealerships in Virginia.
More than 60 percent of the time, the nonwhite individuals who were more qualified than their white counterparts were given more costly options. As a result, people of color who faced discrimination would pay an average of $2,662 more over the length of the loan.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:00 AM   #2
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

It boggles my mind that racism is still a thing given how much we have evolved.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:07 AM   #3
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

It boggles my mind that people think evolution is a process defined in years or even centuries.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:13 AM   #4
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Black Yale student fell asleep in common area and white student called police

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8344536.html

Quote:
Lolade Siyonbola, who is studying for a master’s degree in African studies, was asked for identification even after she used her key to unlock her bedroom during the encounter with three officers.
The woman who reported her said she had found an “unauthorised person in the common room”, according to university authorities quoted by The New York Times.
Quote:
Ms Siyonbola, who showed police she had a key to her room and later provided them with her ID card, accused the officers of harassing her.
“I deserve to be here,” she said in the video. “I paid tuition like everybody else. I am not going to justify my existence here. It’s not even a conversation.”
In one of the clips, an officer told Ms Siyonbola: “We determine who is allowed to be here or who’s not allowed to be here, regardless of whether you feel you’re allowed to be here or not.”
Old 05-11-2018, 10:22 AM   #5
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

This kind of stuff isn't just an inconvenience for people of colour. It can quite literally get them killed, as we've seen with Philando Castille and countless others.

Woman says she called police when black Airbnb guests didn't wave at her

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/10/us/ai...rnd/index.html

Quote:
"They have a right not to smile," said attorney Jasmine Rand at a Thursday morning news conference in New York. "We don't want to live in an America where black people are forced to smile at white people to preserve their lives."

The three black guests -- Kelly Fyffe-Marshall, Donisha Prendergast and Komi-Oluwa Olafimihan -- were also traveling with a fourth guest, who is a white woman. But according to the their attorneys, the neighbor only told police about three suspicious black people.
The Following User Says Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2018, 10:26 AM   #6
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

A mom on a college tour called the cops on two Native American teens because they made her 'nervous'

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/04/us/co...rnd/index.html

Quote:
Critics are holding up the incident as just the latest example of racial profiling. In the past few weeks, two African-American men were arrested for sitting in a Philadelphia Starbucks; a group of African-American women had the cops called on them at a golf course for playing too slowly; and a gym was forced to apologize after a member felt he was racially profiled and was asked to leave.
Quote:
When the police confirmed the brothers were part of the tour, they let them rejoin the group. But by that time, the tour had moved on, the school said.
"It breaks my heart, because they didn't do anything to warrant that," Gray told the affiliate. "They're walking on their own ancestors' land, so it breaks my heart."
Quote:
On Friday, the university released the police report, audio of the 911 call from the nervous parent and body camera footage of officers' interactions with the Grays.
"There are two young men that joined our tour that weren't part of our tour," the mother, who has not been identified, tells the dispatcher. "They're not -- definitely not -- a part of the tour."
Old 05-11-2018, 10:38 AM   #7
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

https://globalnews.ca/news/4197330/l...acebook-video/

Quote:
Video of a woman uttering racist comments and threatening violence against a group of men at a Lethbridge restaurant is being shared widely on social media and has cost the woman her job.

The five-minute video begins with a woman telling a group of men sitting at a table next to hers that they’re “dealing with a Canadian woman right now and I will leap across this table and punch you right in your f***king mouth.”

As the video continues, the woman can be heard saying, “Go back to your f***king country,” and “You’re not Canadian,” after one of the men is heard saying, “We’re all Canadian.”
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:39 AM   #8
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Dammit this thread just makes me angry.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2018, 11:03 AM   #9
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
It boggles my mind that people think evolution is a process defined in years or even centuries.
Thought process and social acceptance doesn't take a million years. Physical changes to the human anatomy do.

Do you literally think we have the same society (for the most part) that we did 200 years ago? Unless you are an unreachable tribe, hell no.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:05 AM   #10
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

This might be old news but...

OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:09 AM   #11
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Thought process and social acceptance doesn't take a million years. Physical changes to the human anatomy do.

Do you literally think we have the same society (for the most part) that we did 200 years ago? Unless you are an unreachable tribe, hell no.
Yeah, my impression was that dissentowner was using "evolved" metaphorically to highlight how human attitudes, beliefs, and behaviours that are considered normal and acceptable to society can change over time. I don't think he meant it in the literal Darwinian physiological sense.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2018, 11:11 AM   #12
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
This mismatch is actually what is underlying much of the problem. Physical changes include neurological changes. Changes to society and technology have massively outpaced development of the human brain. We are wired to live in small tribal groups suspicious of outsiders and hurl rocks at each other. We're not equipped for this.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:21 AM   #13
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

A semantic argument derailing a thread on page one? Well done everyone. Moving fast for a Friday.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:23 AM   #14
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ I don't think you're allowed to be anti-semantic in this thread.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:46 AM   #15
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to say, those sorts of phone calls drive me nuts. "Yes, it's a city. Yes, there are people living their lives here. Yes, they are allowed to do so."
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:12 PM   #16
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:14 PM   #17
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Despite Liberalizing Marijuana Laws, the War on Drugs Still Targets People of Color

Quote:
In spite of countless studies showing that African-Americans and white people use marijuana at almost the exact same rate, African-Americans are 375 percent more likely to be arrested for it. In fact, if as few people of color were incarcerated as white people, America’s prison population would plummet by 40 percent.
Can anyone really believe this disparity is accidental? It’s not — that’s why it happens from coast to coast. America’s criminal justice policies — and their selective racial enforcement — are deeply rooted in racism and systemic white supremacy.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:16 PM   #18
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/994993558796079106

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:19 PM   #19
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Actual content:

https://twitter.com/user/status/992020048238776320

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2018, 12:22 PM   #20
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Here's the body and the link of the tweet, in case people aren't apt to click..

In Michigan, a state Republican bill would exempt many whites in rural areas from 30-hour work requirements for Medicaid health coverage. Residents in black-majority Detroit, Flint would have the work requirements, but not in some largely white rural areas.https://www.freep.com/story/opinion/...p/569760002/ …

Last edited by icecube; 05-11-2018 at 12:24 PM.