Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 01:51 PM   #12721
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I don't see that at all.

Goaltending has sunk Peters just about every year in Carolina, and the one constant was always Ward. I con't see any way he'd want Ward as one of his goalies here, and would tell Treliving that every chance he got.
Goaltending has been bad year over year but I wouldn't put that squarely on Ward. Lack & Darling were shakier IMO.

Ward gave them the shot at making the playoffs last year when Darling showed he couldn't handle the top spot.

As a backup, taking on 20-25 games, I think he'd be fine.

I think Peters biggest gripe was with Lack. Surely his most public one.

Truthfully the Flames will need someone experienced if Smith goes down early or suffers a bigger injury late in the season. I'm not saying they are interested but I think he would be looked at.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:00 PM   #12722
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Flames need to go after someone like Stone, Nylander of someone like that. This team needs a sniper and preferably someone young. I don't have that much faith in Ritich at all, I would try to get Grubauer, Saros or another good young goalie who needs a chance.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:02 PM   #12723
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

nm

Last edited by Toonage; 05-23-2018 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:28 PM   #12724
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

I still think Flames and Rangers are a good match for a blockbuster trade. Rangers shipped out all their top D last year and are always a team looking for a massive deal and player to build around.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:56 PM   #12725
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
I still think Flames and Rangers are a good match for a blockbuster trade. Rangers shipped out all their top D last year and are always a team looking for a massive deal and player to build around.
You have to be thinking of Mika Z, since he's their only really good scorer (although they might be persuaded to move Hayes as well).

But that deal would leave the Rangers with a severely limited forward pool.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:03 PM   #12726
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
You have to be thinking of Mika Z, since he's their only really good scorer (although they might be persuaded to move Hayes as well).

But that deal would leave the Rangers with a severely limited forward pool.
This seems inaccurate. Severely limited? You're stretching it a little too much.

Zuccharello
Buchnevich
Namestnikov
Hayes
Zibs
Vesey
Fast
Kreider

Incoming:
L.Andersson
Chytil
Ty Ronning
B.Howden

They're pretty good at FW. Need D in all areas after losing Girardi and then McD ..

They have Shat and Skeji and Staal and thats about it for regular top 4 D men IMO.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:04 PM   #12727
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Rangers are rebuilding. You gotta think their best young forward - Zibanejad - would be the last player they'd move.
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2018, 04:07 PM   #12728
Lord Carnage
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
This seems inaccurate. Severely limited? You're stretching it a little too much.

Zuccharello
Buchnevich
Namestnikov
Hayes
Zibs
Vesey
Fast
Kreider

Incoming:
L.Andersson
Chytil
Ty Ronning
B.Howden

They're pretty good at FW. Need D in all areas after losing Girardi and then McD ..

They have Shat and Skeji and Staal and thats about it for regular top 4 D men IMO.
Don't forget Ryan Spooner too that they got from Boston.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Carnage For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2018, 04:09 PM   #12729
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spooner is pretty underrated. I knew he’d do good with more time in NYR.

The Rangers picked a pretty good time to rebuild. They had older quality players and know when to cut ties with them. They’ll probably get their rebuild done quicker than the usual time to end one.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:09 PM   #12730
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post

Zuccharello
Buchnevich
Namestnikov
Hayes
Zibs
Vesey
Fast
Kreider

Incoming:
L.Andersson
Chytil
Ty Ronning
B.Howden

Those guys you listed aren't that great. Look at their stats.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:55 PM   #12731
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Quote:
Those guys you listed aren't that great. Look at their stats.
I'd say those fwds plus spooner minus fast and vesey are better than Ferland and Frolik, our top 2 right wingers
Old 05-23-2018, 11:54 PM   #12732
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savardandjokinen View Post
I'd say those fwds plus spooner minus fast and vesey are better than Ferland and Frolik, our top 2 right wingers
Only one had more goals than Ferland. Frolik for sure had an off year, but normally he's a 15-20 goal guy as well. But why are you taking a long list of players and comparing them to only two on Calgary?

The point, moreover, is that if you remove their obviously best youngish forward, they have little to build with. Buchnevich has a lot of upside but I don't see anyone else that really impresses.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:06 AM   #12733
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Only one had more goals than Ferland. Frolik for sure had an off year, but normally he's a 15-20 goal guy as well. But why are you taking a long list of players and comparing them to only two on Calgary?

The point, moreover, is that if you remove their obviously best youngish forward, they have little to build with. Buchnevich has a lot of upside but I don't see anyone else that really impresses.
Brouwer was a solid 18-25 goal player (including 19 in 48 game season) for 7 years and he turned 30 and suddenly he wasn't.

I would venture to say that that of the past their prime forwards UFA Versteeg has a better chance at a 15 goal season than Frolik.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:16 AM   #12734
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Quote:

Zibanejad, Hayes and Namestnikov all did. Kreider would’ve if he played the same games as Ferland. Zuccarello and Buchnevich had more points, Spooner would’ve in the same games as Ferland. Ferland also played with two way better forwards then NYR has. I was just speaking to our RW depth and that there are plenty of options out there that would be upgrades. I’m a fan of Ferland but we’d be a better team with him in less of a role
Old 05-24-2018, 10:19 AM   #12735
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Brouwer was a solid 18-25 goal player (including 19 in 48 game season) for 7 years and he turned 30 and suddenly he wasn't.

I would venture to say that that of the past their prime forwards UFA Versteeg has a better chance at a 15 goal season than Frolik.
Frolik is fine as long as he is our 3rd line RW.
Two previous seasons he played exactly as expected, consistent 40pt player who is very good defensively. Had a down year this season, but what can you do. As for the 30 year old threshold, I believe Frolik tested the best at camp either this year or last year. If he keeps even 80% of that up, I don't see a dramatic decline in his play.

Brouwer is a horrible comparison as his production dipped about 40% from his career averages ever since joining the Flames. Frolik came and played exactly as advertised.
The Following User Says Thank You to yourbestfriend For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2018, 10:21 AM   #12736
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm intrigued by the Ranger's "rumor" revolving around Zibanejad + 9th OA for Dougie.

All arguments aside as to why trading Dougie is stupid, why the Rangers would even consider trading MZ when they are rebuilding etc etc.

Getting Zibenajad and then having the 9th OA turn into say Wahlstrom would tick off some significant boxes for the flames in terms of more high impact scoring depth and a player who jumps to the top RW prospect in the entire organization and has the size to potentially play now if he looked ready come camp.

We've got the defensive depth to cover the departure (all be it NOT having another Dougie replica there's no guarantee someone steps up to cover his point totals)
Old 05-24-2018, 10:33 AM   #12737
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are people’s thoughts of something around Brodie and Eberle+our 1st back?
Old 05-24-2018, 10:40 AM   #12738
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
I'm intrigued by the Ranger's "rumor" revolving around Zibanejad + 9th OA for Dougie.

All arguments aside as to why trading Dougie is stupid, why the Rangers would even consider trading MZ when they are rebuilding etc etc.

Getting Zibenajad and then having the 9th OA turn into say Wahlstrom would tick off some significant boxes for the flames in terms of more high impact scoring depth and a player who jumps to the top RW prospect in the entire organization and has the size to potentially play now if he looked ready come camp.

We've got the defensive depth to cover the departure (all be it NOT having another Dougie replica there's no guarantee someone steps up to cover his point totals)
Can't see NYR making that trade. They're gonna need all the picks (especially top10) they can use. The value and time frame isn't 100% there from the Flames either. Dougie puts almost as much points from the back end as MZ does. Although very good, Wahlstrom is probably 2-3years away from the NHL.

MZ is a very intriguing name though. Perfect fit for the Flames at #2C. Would trade Brodie+ prospect to get him.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:43 AM   #12739
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
What are people’s thoughts of something around Brodie and Eberle+our 1st back?
Eberle for only one year? I think he slots into our right side quite well, but that leaves only Gio for legit LHD on the team. I can't see the Flames moving Brodie unless they have plans to find someone else to play #2 LHD.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:58 AM   #12740
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would definitely do Brodie for Ebs + 1st. I don't think NYI touches that one with a 10 foot pole, Eberle had good chemistry with Barzal.

Hamilton for Zibby and 9th gives me the turns. It seems like an alright offer but just doesn't sit well with me. I get the sense zibanejad is someone who likes the bright city lights.
Closed Thread