Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2018, 10:23 PM   #281
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Inhaling a mosquito or whatever it happened to be was kind of gross.
Extra protein.

Yeah, the 9K zone 2 felt pretty good today. Temperature affects performance quite a bit. Not looking forward to 16K of hills tomorrow though.

Last edited by Ironhorse; 05-18-2018 at 10:26 PM.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:13 PM   #282
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Extra protein.

Yeah, the 9K zone 2 felt pretty good today. Temperature affects performance quite a bit. Not looking forward to 16K of hills tomorrow though.
The raw bug diet will be all the rage next Fall.

Is that the MEC race?

As much as I dislike running up the hills around NW Calgary, I feel like I hate the downhills worse. It's such an odd sensation to be running, yet trying to hold back at the same time. At least when it's uphill or flat, the focus is on just powering through it.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:16 AM   #283
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I find downhills awful, they just kill my knees. I like uphills for the workout, but I'd prefer to take an escalator down.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:56 AM   #284
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

There's a pure downhill race on 17th ave in June. PR monster for sure.

Downhill is where you make your uphill time up!

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:16 PM   #285
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

My last couple of runs had some weird gps offset - like the turns and everything were correct but actually offset on the map by a block or two for the first kilometer and then it was fine after that. Anybody else get that?
Old 05-22-2018, 10:21 PM   #286
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sometimes heavy cloud or tree cover can cause that to happen. Does your GPS also use the GLONASS satellites for increased accuracy?
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:33 PM   #287
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

No. It’s a pretty basic gps watch. I ran this afternoon and on Friday; both days being pretty clear. I have a Polar M200. It’s idiosyncrasies are starting to really wear on me. Maybe time for a new one.

I would consider a Garmin, since I still have a footpod and heart rate strap from an old deceased model. I would rather an all-in-one thing though with the HRS part of the watch. Prefer physical buttons over any kind of touchscreen.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:00 PM   #288
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've got my second race coming up this Saturday. My first was st Patrick's Day, which was a 10k and I finished in 58.xx. It was a brutally snowy day with a couple of major hills, so I'm hoping to post a better time this go around. I'll be really happy with something around 55 minutes.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:31 AM   #289
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
No. It’s a pretty basic gps watch. I ran this afternoon and on Friday; both days being pretty clear. I have a Polar M200. It’s idiosyncrasies are starting to really wear on me. Maybe time for a new one.

I would consider a Garmin, since I still have a footpod and heart rate strap from an old deceased model. I would rather an all-in-one thing though with the HRS part of the watch. Prefer physical buttons over any kind of touchscreen.
The old garmins definitely can have some trouble syncing or keeping synced. I don't know if there's a shelf life or if it was just the older technology, but the new 237 syncs instantly.

It also tracks heart rate without a strap and steps without a foot pod. Physical buttons. Highly recommended. Fair price at $320 as well.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:19 AM   #290
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
The old garmins definitely can have some trouble syncing or keeping synced. I don't know if there's a shelf life or if it was just the older technology, but the new 237 syncs instantly.

It also tracks heart rate without a strap and steps without a foot pod. Physical buttons. Highly recommended. Fair price at $320 as well.

Oh, interesting. Did you mean the 235? I was looking at a 235 and it seemed somewhat popular amongst the Strava crowd. I have heard some bad reviews about its HRM though, but I am okay if it’s not highly accurate.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:46 AM   #291
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone running this Sunday?

I'm enrolled in the 10k which is ok I guess considering I've been rehabbing some calve injuries for almost 2 years. Feels good to at least be able to run again but it sucks that I'm running at less than half the distance I use to and at a pace 30% slower.

edit: Being old sucks
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:14 AM   #292
Slacker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm running the 10k! I'm working my pacing while I continue to improve my fitness levels. If I can finish around 1:02:00, I'd be thrilled.

I'm going to be running with compression socks, since my calves took a lot of punishment during my Spartan beast race three weeks ago. I bought the 2XU socks at Sportchek Crossirons for $55 and by the second pair for 50% off.
Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:25 PM   #293
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Oh, interesting. Did you mean the 235? I was looking at a 235 and it seemed somewhat popular amongst the Strava crowd. I have heard some bad reviews about its HRM though, but I am okay if it’s not highly accurate.
Sorry yes, 235. I think it's pretty accurate based on comparing to manually checking but who knows. I know the strap has trouble at higher rates so maybe the same is true.

Old 05-25-2018, 05:27 PM   #294
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
Anyone running this Sunday?

I'm enrolled in the 10k which is ok I guess considering I've been rehabbing some calve injuries for almost 2 years. Feels good to at least be able to run again but it sucks that I'm running at less than half the distance I use to and at a pace 30% slower.

edit: Being old sucks
Someone should open up a physiotherapy sponsored part of the forum. They'd apparently have a lot of clients!

What calf injury did you have that's caused 2 years of pain and still holds you back?

The Following User Says Thank You to TheSutterDynasty For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2018, 06:47 PM   #295
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Juggling a water bottle between both hands these last few days while running has been insanely exhausting on the arms. Next time I am just going to chug a liter before I start and forego carrying a bottle with me.

Shin splints are starting to pop up. Probably time to look at new shoes.

Also, what’s a good shade of nail polish for those damaged toenails?
Old 05-25-2018, 06:59 PM   #296
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Juggling a water bottle between both hands these last few days while running has been insanely exhausting on the arms. Next time I am just going to chug a liter before I start and forego carrying a bottle with me.

Shin splints are starting to pop up. Probably time to look at new shoes.

Also, what’s a good shade of nail polish for those damaged toenails?
Why not get a water belt? The one I purchased from The Running Room in 1996 continues to serve me well.

It amazes me how many people run without hydration at any time of the year, let alone when its very warm out. I have my water bottle with me always, be it -30 or +30.

Last edited by FLAME ENVY; 05-25-2018 at 07:05 PM.
FLAME ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:27 PM   #297
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doesn't seem like drinking a litre of water before a run is a great idea either. I don't know if water causing cramps is a myth or not, but I wouldn't like all that sloshing around in my belly.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:31 PM   #298
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have a lot of anxiety about taking in water. It's one of the reasons why I haven't pushed past 10K off treadmill. I just don't like the idea of carrying water.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:34 PM   #299
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I take in water when it’s hot like this and last week, but I still haven’t quite got the maneuver down to give myself a quick drink without water boarding myself.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:44 PM   #300
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Running without proper hydration is tough on your body. Drinking too much water before or during a run can also be detrimental.

I'm accustomed to running with a water belt as I always have. It would be odd for me to run without one. I ran numerous sub 37 minute 10K's in my younger days with my belt on, it does not hinder performance.
FLAME ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote