Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #581
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Looking at finalizing my in wall speakers for my new basement home theatre and had a question about the centre speaker.

Quick info:

- I'll be buying all the speakers through Monoprice
- Plan is to have a projector and screen

I've been reading that a traditional horizontal center channel with Mid-Tweet-Mid all in line is a poor choice and a vertical speaker is better suited.

With that in mind, would it be a better choice to simply run the exact same speaker as my main L+R speakers as the centre?
That's exactly what I read and did, but I do have an acoustically transparent 120" screen (Costco FTW) and so was able to mount them all at the same height behind the screen so there is no noticeable dip in the sound horizontally. Works really well for me, and I have an extra speaker as a backup in case one goes bad for some reason.

Used the same Monoprice 8" for all 7 speakers other than the sub and the FH's which are in-ceiling ones.

Last edited by onetwo_threefour; 07-29-2013 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Autocorrect
onetwo_threefour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to onetwo_threefour For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2013, 10:24 AM   #582
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was planning on using these as my mains:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

So I'd simply order another pair and use one as my center.

I know having the exact same speaker as my mains is a plus, but is there any concern that this speaker isn't "centered" per se? Seeing as the mid and tweet are off center, would the audio seem off, or is it so little of a distance there should be no reason for concern?
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:30 AM   #583
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I know having the exact same speaker as my mains is a plus, but is there any concern that this speaker isn't "centered" per se? Seeing as the mid and tweet are off center, would the audio seem off, or is it so little of a distance there should be no reason for concern?
For a small speaker the effect should be negligible. Also you can place it standing up behind the articulating screen.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darklord700 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2013, 10:35 AM   #584
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I might as well ask now about my rear and side speakers - both will be in ceiling.

Are these a good choice? Or is there something better?

Old 07-29-2013, 10:39 AM   #585
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Hard to say without having listening them. But generally in walls are more expensive and should have the de-coupling feature. I have no experience with in walls because they are harder to install.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #586
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, pretty much impossible to judge without hearing them with your own ears.

Just didn't know if the staggered tweeter configuration would be a benefit in the ceiling to make the sound less localized.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:31 AM   #587
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another question for everyone is 2 way or 3 way main speakers?
Old 07-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #588
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I was planning on using these as my mains:

So I'd simply order another pair and use one as my center.

I have the same ones. I'm quite happy with them. I'm no audio/video-phile but I've got no complaints even in loud movies, although I'm not one to really crank the volume, and music sounds okay, although I rarely listen to music in the theatre room.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:55 AM   #589
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I might as well ask now about my rear and side speakers - both will be in ceiling.

I have these:

I don't know about the ones you posted, but they were more expensive and I am using mine for Front Highs in the theatre and ambient music upstairs on the main floor, so didn't see the need to pay extra for fancier speakers. These seemed closer in power-handling and characteristics to the other in-walls mentioned above that I was using so I figured I would do that instead of going for the composite 3-ways to try and match everything somewhat.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:19 PM   #590
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Another question for everyone is 2 way or 3 way main speakers?
In general, at the lower price range, 2 way is better. A good 3 way is more expensive to make and design.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:30 AM   #591
TheGrimm
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwo_threefour View Post
I have these:

I don't know about the ones you posted, but they were more expensive and I am using mine for Front Highs in the theatre and ambient music upstairs on the main floor, so didn't see the need to pay extra for fancier speakers. These seemed closer in power-handling and characteristics to the other in-walls mentioned above that I was using so I figured I would do that instead of going for the composite 3-ways to try and match everything somewhat.
+1 for these as in-ceiling rear speakers. I am sure audio purists might get their panties in a not about using un-matched rear speakers however I used these in conjunction with my Aperion towers and center speakers and they sound just fine for movies and surround. They are definitely passable SQ wise and the price is hard to beat.

The tipping point for me was the pivoting tweeters that gave me a bit of placement flexibility.
TheGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheGrimm For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #592
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monoprice has their last day of 5% off the entire site today.

Do these speakers ever go on sale or should I be taking advantage of the 5% off today?

I'm in no need of these right now, but if they never go on sale I'll just get them and store them until needed.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:03 PM   #593
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I got a deal on mine (I think it was about 15% off), but I think it was a total fluke. They showed up as a separate item at the time with the price in red and they only had limited quantities. I think they may have been returns from a big order or something, but when I got them they didn't really look like they'd been previously opened, although it's hard to tell with the way they package. I got one dud in my batch and they sent me a new one without even asking met to return the dud, so I was pretty happy. Haven't really seen them go on sale otherwise, but I'm not really one to browse the site with any regularity.

I'd probably take the 5% and run with it.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:55 PM   #594
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

You can also just wait until people like myself don't realize the price is for 2 speakers and buy double the amount that they need. Happens once a year on these forums
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fundmark19 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2013, 05:26 PM   #595
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
It's aliiiiiiiive!!!... ahem.

I've moved into a new place recently, and I've decided I'm not too keen on having my rear and side channels running through cable raceways on the floor or along the wall, so I've begun looking into wireless rear speaker kits, and the one I seem to keep coming back to is the Rocketfish Wireless Rear Speaker Kit.

Has anyone used it or any other wireless speaker kits and can you provide any feedback on their performance, and just how much the 2.4GHz wireless usage screws with WiFi? (I'm on 5 GHz 802.11n for most of my devices, but some do still use the 2.4GHz band).
Pretty sure that's the exact unit we use. Set it up once about 5 years ago and had no issues with it since. I often forget that it is wireless, and I pull the box from behind my couch and wonder what it is.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #596
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

BUMP

I have to do a long run from my Amp (STR-DN840) behind a wall to my TV. The run is about 40-50 feet.

I recent bought the 50ft Monoprice RedMere cable, and it doesn't work between my Amp and TV. I plug it in (the right way) and I just get a blank screen. It maybe defective, but I have had problems with the RedMere cables before, and I don't want to bury it in the wall only to have it die on me in a year.

So my question to everyone is this, has anyone done this with success?

1. via HDMI
2. via DVI
3. Via Cat6

To add a twist, I need a cable that can support 1080p, and not have any lag as my Playstation will be plugged into the Amp.

Is this even possible at such a distance? Any advice is appreciated.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #597
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The run from my amp to my projector is about 25-30 feet, I think I have a 35 or 40 foot cable. I ran a conduit and pulled a long HDMI cable and have no problem. But it was a regular thick cable, I think I intentionally got a bit thicker cable (about as thick as I was comfortable pulling through the conduit) to try and make sure I only had to do it once.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2013, 04:25 PM   #598
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread has a disappointing amount of pictures in it.

I'm in the process of constructing a Home Theatre/LAN Arcade in my basement, and I want to see other people's pictures damnit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:14 PM   #599
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
The run from my amp to my projector is about 25-30 feet, I think I have a 35 or 40 foot cable. I ran a conduit and pulled a long HDMI cable and have no problem. But it was a regular thick cable, I think I intentionally got a bit thicker cable (about as thick as I was comfortable pulling through the conduit) to try and make sure I only had to do it once.
Well some trial and error and I think I figured it out.

I plugged the 50 foot Redmere cable into a monitor and it worked. I then plugged it into my new Sony HX850 and it worked too.

Looks like it is my 2008 XBR that is the issue. Which is weird because I have a 6' Redmere plugged into that one and works fine. I do remember a 15' Redmere I tried to use on it last year and didn't work either. Yet a 30' Redmere I bought as well does work. Truly bazzare.

I'll chaulk it up to an "old" tv that is finicky with some cables. I do think I should buy my Panasonic VT before I finish the walls just to be sure though.

If it fails I think I will order a 22AWG HDMI and just drill huge holes.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #600
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Pretty sure that's the exact unit we use. Set it up once about 5 years ago and had no issues with it since. I often forget that it is wireless, and I pull the box from behind my couch and wonder what it is.
Yeah, I finally have them set up and they're pretty flawless. Love 'em. I might have the rears turned up a bit too loud on the wireless receiver side, but not really a concern. You can hear random crowd shouting in NHL '13.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote