Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2020, 10:26 PM   #921
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber317 View Post
Setup distill.io to watch sites for changes. It’s about 5 mins faster than nowinstock. However PS5 is pretty hot right now. There are probably bots that are faster than distill.io getting the PS5.

I’ve been trying to get an Xbox series x for the father in law but have been too slow to checkout after getting the distill notifications. And I missed the couple of posts here saying they were in stock.

I’m resigned to just waiting until after Christmas now.
Thank you for this, I'll check this out.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 12:30 PM   #922
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

By switching on the development mode on the new Xbox Series consoles, they can be turned into a emulation super station.

Making the Xbox Series consoles the first next gen consoles to support all PS1. Edit: PS2 games are not on RetroArch as of yet.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/...on-powerhouse/

Last edited by Since1984; 11-24-2020 at 02:25 PM.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 12:37 PM   #923
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
By switching on the development mode on the new Xbox Series consoles can be turned into a emulation super station.

Making the Xbox Series consoles the first next gen consoles to support all PS1 and PS2 games.

This is pretty sweet, seems like they made it very easy to access this mode also. very cool MS
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 01:18 PM   #924
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
By switching on the development mode on the new Xbox Series consoles, they can be turned into a emulation super station.

Making the Xbox Series consoles the first next gen consoles to support all PS1 and PS2 games.

False, you can only install RetroArch on the Xbox, which doesn't have a PS2 core yet. They're working on it, but even when it is added it will be a long time before it's stable enough to cover the entire PS2 library. Even PCSX2 (which is what the RetroArch core will use) struggles with a lot of titles, requiring different hacks and workarounds for many games

If you want the best bang for your buck in emulation, get a Shield TV. It can emulate all the same systems that the Xbox can, plus if you have a gaming PC you can use Steam link to play PS2, PS3, Wii U, and even Switch emulators on it
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2020, 02:20 PM   #925
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
False, you can only install RetroArch on the Xbox, which doesn't have a PS2 core yet. They're working on it, but even when it is added it will be a long time before it's stable enough to cover the entire PS2 library. Even PCSX2 (which is what the RetroArch core will use) struggles with a lot of titles, requiring different hacks and workarounds for many games

If you want the best bang for your buck in emulation, get a Shield TV. It can emulate all the same systems that the Xbox can, plus if you have a gaming PC you can use Steam link to play PS2, PS3, Wii U, and even Switch emulators on it

Thanks for correcting me on the PS2 bit, as for the other emulator options this is all old news. The point of my post was to share what the Xbox series consoles are capable of doing when it comes to emulation in the dev mode.

This is the Thunderdome, comparing the the next gen consoles.....

As for another bit of interesting news, PS5 HDMI 2.1 output is set at 32 gbps while the Series X is 40 gbps.

https://www.gamesradar.com/ps5-hdmi-...anyone%20else!

Last edited by Since1984; 11-24-2020 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-24-2020, 03:11 PM   #926
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

S has been up on amazon for a while:

https://www.amazon.ca/Microsoft-RRS-...6255860&sr=8-5
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2020, 03:15 PM   #927
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

X is also there:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listi...language=en_CA
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2020, 03:27 PM   #928
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Thanks!, I was able to get one, Christmas present for the father in law secured. Assuming it shows up.
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bomber317 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2020, 04:11 PM   #929
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Looking for one for my sister to give to my nephew for Xmas. Missed out again, my timing is terrible. lol

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 04:19 PM   #930
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If anyone knows of any Canada restock coming for Black Friday please let me know. Thank you.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:50 PM   #931
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
S has been up on amazon for a while:

https://www.amazon.ca/Microsoft-RRS-...6255860&sr=8-5
That's because it's not that great...compared to the real next gen systems.

Lower res, lower textures, no ray tracing on COD...also almost no HD space after installing the game

The "it's the same just not 4k" marketing is already being proven wrong with only a few games out

Last edited by dino7c; 11-24-2020 at 06:53 PM.
dino7c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:06 AM   #932
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
That's because it's not that great...compared to the real next gen systems.

Lower res, lower textures, no ray tracing on COD...also almost no HD space after installing the game

The "it's the same just not 4k" marketing is already being proven wrong with only a few games out
Interestingly, right now Star wars Squadrons runs on both the PS5 and Series S at 1440p@60fps while the series S has an option for targeted 1440p@120fps and the PS5 has "enhanced lighting".

Series X is running 4k@60fps and has an option for the 1440p@120fps.

So yes the Series S is underpowered but it still has its merits.

Also, to be pedantic COD only supports RT shadows. As for space, if you have an external HDD you can swap out games to open up space....unlike another next gen console.

Oh and one more thing, if you have a VRR monitor/tv then the Series S framerates will be rock solid even when dropping frames...unlike another next gen console.

Although not great, the series S is still an option for entry level next gen gaming.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:11 AM   #933
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Anyone know the status of racing wheels on next gen systems? Are they gonna rape us horribly like they did with PS4/Xbone and making them single system compatible with no cross use?

NM: quick google search says yes. Thank god.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:33 AM   #934
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Anyone know the status of racing wheels on next gen systems? Are they gonna rape us horribly like they did with PS4/Xbone and making them single system compatible with no cross use?

NM: quick google search says yes. Thank god.
All officially licensed accessories Xbox one will work with the series X. I have no info on PS5.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:40 AM   #935
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Interestingly, right now Star wars Squadrons runs on both the PS5 and Series S at 1440p@60fps while the series S has an option for targeted 1440p@120fps and the PS5 has "enhanced lighting".

Also, to be pedantic COD only supports RT shadows. As for space, if you have an external HDD you can swap out games to open up space....unlike another next gen console.

Oh and one more thing, if you have a VRR monitor/tv then the Series S framerates will be rock solid even when dropping frames...unlike another next gen console.

Although not great, the series S is still an option for entry level next gen gaming.
That's not quite true, the PS5 doesn't even support native 1440p resolutions at the moment. What it's doing is running the game in the same mode as the PS4 Pro, which is dynamic 4K. So the game will render at whatever resolution it has to to maintain 60 FPS and then scale the final image up to 4K. Spider-Man does the same thing when you choose performance mode, and ray tracing aside I can't tell the difference between the native 4K of fidelity mode compared to the dynamic 4K of performance mode

The reason for the discrepancy between Xbox and PS5 though is because Squadrons is running under backwards compatibility mode on the PS5, developers need to make an actual PS5 SKU of their game if they want to fully utilize the hardware. The Series X though is mostly a much more powerful Xbox One, it runs the last gen games natively so there's no extra work the devs need to do in order to allow higher performance
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2020, 10:30 AM   #936
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
That's not quite true, the PS5 doesn't even support native 1440p resolutions at the moment. What it's doing is running the game in the same mode as the PS4 Pro, which is dynamic 4K. So the game will render at whatever resolution it has to to maintain 60 FPS and then scale the final image up to 4K. Spider-Man does the same thing when you choose performance mode, and ray tracing aside I can't tell the difference between the native 4K of fidelity mode compared to the dynamic 4K of performance mode

The reason for the discrepancy between Xbox and PS5 though is because Squadrons is running under backwards compatibility mode on the PS5, developers need to make an actual PS5 SKU of their game if they want to fully utilize the hardware. The Series X though is mostly a much more powerful Xbox One, it runs the last gen games natively so there's no extra work the devs need to do in order to allow higher performance
Thanks again! as for the bolded this seems pretty advantageous for the Series consoles when it comes to development studios and not wanting to create a upgrade for next gen.
Old 11-25-2020, 01:36 PM   #937
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah and there was some discussions that Squadrons on the PS5 needed to be tied to the PS4 Pro implementation in order to ensure that PSVR worked properly, or else it would have been even more work to redevelop the game.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2020, 04:47 PM   #938
1991 Canadian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I got my PS5 on Tuesday. I skipped the PS4/Xbox One generation entirely and have a Mac as my home computer.... so I've been a bit behind the times when it comes to gaming.

My Random Thoughts so far:

-It took me 15 minutes during setup to parse through the privacy setting options. From sharing my real name, to social features, to team invites? When did this all get so complicated?

-The controller is really cool. I figured haptic feedback was a marketing gimmick, but the feedback really adds an extra layer of immersion and control.

-There are way too many video games. I feel like I have 7 years of games to catchup on and a relatively short window before the more heavy hitting PS5 games come out. There was also like 5 different farming simulator games. Farmers Daughter, Farmers Omelet, Farming Empire... why are there so many farming games? Why are there yearly updates for farming games? Does farming change that much year to year?

-Astros Playroom is a blast. I have been grinning like an idiot for most of it so far. It feels like a cross between Super Mario 64 and Wii Sports.

-I learned the hard way that Playstation Plus and Playstation Now are separate services. I bought a year of Playstation Now by mistake.

-Overall, I'm really enjoying it. Up until two days ago, I was actively playing my PS3. It'll be interesting playing an NHL game where Iginla isn't on the Flames.
1991 Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1991 Canadian For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2020, 05:45 PM   #939
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a heads up that the Pulse 3D headset is available to order online at EB Games. Wont last long.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:50 PM   #940
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Kinda irrelevant since its BC and not a next gen game...fact is next gen games aren't just less resolution like they said initially.

Its a fine system for a certain market I just find the marketing misleading and this is the thunderdome after all. Its not just a resolution hit on next gen games...and I would wager the gap gets larger