Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2020, 11:29 AM   #121
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Yeah daytime isn't great for bugs for islands, more for just general resources/fossils/furniture/message bottles and fishing.
Do fossils respawn on the islands while fishing or is it just the 2/3 that are there when you arrive. The furniture is from message bottles? Sorry for the dumb questions...
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 11:31 AM   #122
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
My museum looks almost like that! I just wish we had a critterpedia for fossils.

Quick and silly question: how do you get the switch screenshots transferred to imgur or something like that?

That photo isn’t from the twitch stream, I just took that with the screen capture on the Switch. I needed to export it to Facebook and then just saved the file from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesFanStrandedInEDM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2020, 11:38 AM   #123
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
Do fossils respawn on the islands while fishing or is it just the 2/3 that are there when you arrive. The furniture is from message bottles? Sorry for the dumb questions...
np

I've never seen the fossil respawn (and I've never seen more than one).

If you shake the trees there's usually one that will drop a piece of furniture (though doesn't seem to happen on rare fruit islands), and one that has a wasp, that's in addition to the recipe from the message bottle (if there is one).

Incidentally a furniture drop from shaking a tree also is available on your own island once a day, but I have a lot of trees and I don't gather wood from them every day like some people do so I don't usually find it.
Old 04-17-2020, 03:22 PM   #124
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Maybe I’m “that guy” here, but what’s the point of even playing the game at all if you’re just gonna cheese it for bells and date skip and get everything you want in a couple days? It’s like those kids that would use Gameshark to get every Pokemon at level 100 instantly. Congratulations, the game is over.
Yeah I don’t time skip or anything like that. I like to get as many resources from islands I visit so I strip them bare but I’m taking things slow on my own island. I’m mostly focusing and bridges and inclines to make getting around easier.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 03:31 PM   #125
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Yeah I don’t time skip or anything like that. I like to get as many resources from islands I visit so I strip them bare but I’m taking things slow on my own island. I’m mostly focusing and bridges and inclines to make getting around easier.
Are you putting in cheap or expensive bridges/inclines? I am doing cheaper at this point because I figure I will end up wanting to move some stuff anyway.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 03:38 PM   #126
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
np

I've never seen the fossil respawn (and I've never seen more than one).

If you shake the trees there's usually one that will drop a piece of furniture (though doesn't seem to happen on rare fruit islands), and one that has a wasp, that's in addition to the recipe from the message bottle (if there is one).

Incidentally a furniture drop from shaking a tree also is available on your own island once a day, but I have a lot of trees and I don't gather wood from them every day like some people do so I don't usually find it.
There’s two furniture drops available on your island per day. I’ve never had one drop on another island. I’ll have to watch out for that.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2020, 03:40 PM   #127
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
Are you putting in cheap or expensive bridges/inclines? I am doing cheaper at this point because I figure I will end up wanting to move some stuff anyway.
I like the look of the cheap natural incline anyway so I use that. My bridges are mostly stone. It’s easy enough to raise the money for them in a day.
Old 04-17-2020, 04:26 PM   #128
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSpooge View Post
they spawn in the rain just less frequently because of mole cricket spawns.
Strange. I ran around bamboo island for about 20 mins and saw absolutely nothing spawn for bugs. Just assumed it was the rain.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 05:07 PM   #129
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
There’s two furniture drops available on your island per day. I’ve never had one drop on another island. I’ll have to watch out for that.
Two eh?! Hm.. that's a lot of trees to shake though still. I guess I could deforest some but I kinda prefer the natural look to the island (I probably won't hit 5 stars ever)

Speaking of 5 stars, this is supposedly what's needed:

https://www.polygon.com/animal-cross...-scenery-count

Around 20 Nook Miles furnishings (purchased with Nook Miles from the Nook Stop)
Around 50 DIY furnishings (crafted yourself or by friends)
Around 40 store-bought furnishings (from Nook’s Cranny or Nook Shopping)
Around 50 fence segments
Around 110 trees and 10 bamboo thickets
Around 250 flowers must be bloomed, not sprouting or budding
7 bridges
6 ramps
Old 04-17-2020, 05:36 PM   #130
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Two eh?! Hm.. that's a lot of trees to shake though still. I guess I could deforest some but I kinda prefer the natural look to the island (I probably won't hit 5 stars ever)

Speaking of 5 stars, this is supposedly what's needed:

https://www.polygon.com/animal-cross...-scenery-count

Around 20 Nook Miles furnishings (purchased with Nook Miles from the Nook Stop)
Around 50 DIY furnishings (crafted yourself or by friends)
Around 40 store-bought furnishings (from Nook’s Cranny or Nook Shopping)
Around 50 fence segments
Around 110 trees and 10 bamboo thickets
Around 250 flowers must be bloomed, not sprouting or budding
7 bridges
6 ramps
I prefer to stay natural too. I would guess I have to shake under 100 trees on average to get both pieces.

I just got three stars last weekend. I'm not in a rush to get 5 but I already have 5 ramps and 6 bridges. I need a lot more flowers and furniture. I bought most of the Nook Miles items including 12,000 miles worth of windmills to make a wind farm on a hill.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:13 PM   #131
photon

Exp:

FINALLY got bamboo island, was able to craft my pan flute yay.

Had a weird experience though, cleared it all out, and for some reason I was only getting 2 ground spawns. I'd scare off a beetle or a roach, and then I'd end up with 2 mole crickets and nothing else would spawn. Was really strange. I was almost going to leave but then I dug up all the flowers (I'd picked off the blossoms already), then I started getting more ground spawns again. I planted them back on the beach and the spawns kept coming.

One of the flowers must have been bugged or something allowing things to spawn on it but not being visible to me.

Anyway loaded up on tarantulas, went back and Flick was on my island. Convenient.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2020, 01:34 PM   #132
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love the design for the fossil section of the museum.

Yes, it does remind me of the Royal Tyrell Museum.

If you look closely, it's in chronological order, and it shows the evolutionary tree of life. Just follow the path on the carpet. My nephew was surprised to find out that Dimetrodons were on the mammalian path, and birds were on the dinosaur path.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 07:39 AM   #133
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Big free update and info on upcoming events

Also, sales info for March came out and Animal Crossing is a huge, huge hit. Already the best selling game in the franchise and third biggest month for a Nintendo launch ever (behind only a couple Smash Bros. games). Animal Crossing just entered S-tier Nintendo franchise level.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2020, 01:43 PM   #134
photon

Exp:

Man my turnip prices don't look good this week.. 100 buy price and max 140 on all the calculators, but maybe not even that.
Old 04-21-2020, 02:02 PM   #135
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Also, sales info for March came out and Animal Crossing is a huge, huge hit.
It was always a cult-classic IMO, so jumping to mainstream shouldn't have been too hard. They had a huge bit of luck in the release though. BoTW, Mario, anything with a definitive end-game wouldn't have enjoyed this popularity even now I don't think. Something about being able to play a game for an hour or two a day and never finish lends itself to being quarantined.

Also, regarding turnip prices - I'm looking for anything over 100. Bought at 92 and all my regular traders are on a decline this week. Holding out for one that *might* get up to 129.
Old 04-21-2020, 03:51 PM   #136
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Man my turnip prices don't look good this week.. 100 buy price and max 140 on all the calculators, but maybe not even that.
I’ve never had a price more than 10 bells above what I paid. The gamble isn’t fun for me so I’m done with turnips.
Old 04-21-2020, 04:28 PM   #137
photon

Exp:

I guess there's always the option of Turnip Exchange:

https://turnip.exchange/islands

But many charge a pretty aggressive amount (10 Nook Miles Tickets?!)

Better to join an AC community that has a Discord, they usually share and don't charge huge amounts. Maybe there's a reddit too, haven't checked.
Old 04-21-2020, 04:47 PM   #138
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But many charge a pretty aggressive amount (10 Nook Miles Tickets?!)
That's one of the cheapest on there too. One guy wanted 99k bells. Another wanted 10+ gold nuggets. If it's not someone I know (or friend of a friend/CP'er) I'll cut my losses instead.

Made out like a bandit last week. If I loose 100k bells this week it's not the end of the world.

However I find it funny I keep a closer eye on my turnip prices than actual stocks that I own.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:40 PM   #139
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

My prices have been butt this week, started at 74 and only dropped from there. I'll let you know if it goes up to something reasonable.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 06:17 PM   #140
photon

Exp:

99k bells seems not bad, if it's a good price an inventory full could turn out to be a million or more.

I tend to think of things in terms of time.. 99k bells isn't that hard to come up with, that's like 66 trees of a foreign fruit.. 22 Atlas moths or 8 tarantulas. And it's saving me many times that much time.

Tickets or gold nuggets are far more time intensive, I mean I think I may have 9 or 10 total gold nuggets in all my playtime. 10 tickets feels like it's worth a million or more to me.

Quote:
My prices have been butt this week, started at 74 and only dropped from there. I'll let you know if it goes up to something reasonable.
Oh the week I had that I ended up at 470 something on Thursday afternoon! Every day it dropped and eventually the predictor programs said I may get a large spike. Or it'd just keep going down until Sunday lol.