Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2018, 08:44 PM   #461
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenfame View Post
LOL@ everyone trying to convince me last year Smith was a good signing , this team just does not get it Smith has had one good season his whole career , Elliot is better always has been , stupid moves kills this team
lol @ yourself...Smith had better numbers last season and they have the exact same career save percentage despite Elliott playing on much better teams.

If you think Smith cost the Flames the game last night you are out to lunch

Four goals
2 on 1
2 on 1
2 on 0
Breakaway
Old 10-04-2018, 08:46 PM   #462
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Changing the quote slightly for emphasis doesn't change the argument that you've ignored.

Gaudreau has been on a 100 point pace, like he was for half of last season. Amazing that he wasn't able to keep up that pace when the entire team fell apart after the All star break.
Well, here's a suggestion; Don't change quotes slightly for emphasis, especially when they change meaning and intent, that's disingenuous. I won't engage in discussion with you any further after that, sorry.

EDIT: and you edited to make it even more combative and antagonizing. Just brutal. This is the crap that makes this board unusable these days.

Last edited by jayswin; 10-04-2018 at 08:48 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:47 PM   #463
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Well, here's a suggestion; Don't change quotes slightly for emphasis, especially when they change meaning and intent, that's disingenuous. I won't engage in discussion with you any further after that, sorry.
It doesn't change anything. Your argument was simply that Gaudreau could be a better player if his diet was better.

You won't engage in discussion because your position is that of an entitled fan. I'm embarrassed for you.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2018, 08:48 PM   #464
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

There is definitely some validity to the past and most likely present concerns with the diet of a certain player on the team. I’m only stating this as I got approval from the mods to post earlier this year(sources and direct connections) Just didn’t see a need to speak. However I’d rather post as to prevent arguments over the topic when others state or talk about this subject

Last edited by soulchoice; 10-04-2018 at 08:51 PM.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soulchoice For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2018, 08:48 PM   #465
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am concerned about play looking too much like last season and throwing away what should have been 2 easy points but will not start panicking yet. It is only 1 game of 82. If the Flames lose the home opener though it will be suicide booth time.

I did however go ahead and put an entry in my calendar for October 2019:

Quote:
Do not leave work early to watch Flames opener
Old 10-04-2018, 08:48 PM   #466
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Changing the quote slightly for emphasis doesn't change the argument that you've ignored.

Gaudreau has been on a 100 point pace, like he was for half of last season. Amazing that he wasn't able to keep up that pace when the entire team fell apart after the All star break.

On a team that finished 27th in goals for.

On a team where he contributed to its offense more than anybody but McDavid with the Oilers.

This is a really bad take. Like, terrible.
So is he content being the best player on his team? Or does he want to be more than that? Does he want to be the best player on a team that actually wins.
I'm sure he wants to win
But that's easy
Committing to winning is where it gets hard
Committing means doing all you can
Playing a complete game
Making the right decisions for the right outcome in big moments
Doing all you can with your fitness, habits and nutrition.

What does he want to be?

The league is littered with players who put up points but don't accomplish anything. Is that what he is? Or is he more?

Sidney Crosby is the best player in the world not just because of talent but because of his massive commitment level. He isolates things he needs to do better and puts in the work to get better at them. His shot. Faceoffs. Defensive game. That's commitment.

I'm not saying Johnny is at his level, but that's what commitment from a top player looks like.

We talk about needing to raise the bar for this franchise, yet Johnny seems exempt from those higher expectations. Why is he let off the hook?

His diet is fair game because it isn't baseless speculation. It is common knowledge that he eats junk.

That's not commitment to me.
But its up to him about what he wants to be.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:51 PM   #467
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
It doesn't change anything. Your argument was simply that Gaudreau could be a better player if his diet was better.

You won't engage in discussion because your position is that of an entitled fan. I'm embarrassed for you.
First ignore ever, never thought I'd do that. Shouldn't have gone down to that level on my part, apologies for the derail and engaging in poor discourse, everyone.

edit: and no, my non willingness to engage with you going forward has nothing to do with being an entitled fan. That's absurd, especially considering I explained EXCACTLY why I wasn't willing to engage with you further -

- admitting to purposely changing my quote and it's meaning to make your point more effectively. This is disingenuous discussion, and there's no reason for me to be involved with that level of debate).

Last edited by jayswin; 10-04-2018 at 08:56 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2018, 08:54 PM   #468
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
First ignore ever, never thought I'd do that. Shouldn't have gone down to that level on my part, apologies for the derail and engaging in poor discourse, everyone.
Apologies for the derail everyone but let me announce my first ignore!

Yes, any take that goes after Gaudreau after his contribution to this team last year, after only one game this year, is an absolutely embarrassing one. I'm not standing down on that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2018, 08:57 PM   #469
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Don't summarize a thread with hundreds of participants and try to sum up everyone as one entity and proclaim it all hysterical. Try to be rational and look at individual points and either dismiss and ignore or respond if you feel inclined.

This type of stuff does as much to lower the quality of the board as anything. You won't think so, but it pushes the wedge further between those with criticism and those that don't want to hear anything.

You're basically acting as an authority, categorizing all criticism as one and proclaiming "look at all this bull****, guys! Get out of here with this!!!". It's unnecessary.

Give me a break. The sky is falling crowd, which isn’t small, are becoming unbearable. It’s ridiculous to come to some of these conclusions after one game, and that should be pointed out. If you want to be critical, that’s fine and honestly totally deserved after that game, but the completely outlandish stuff adds nothing to the conversation. I’m not painting the whole topic or board with the same brush, but I have no issues singling out the ridiculous garbage.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:59 PM   #470
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
His diet is fair game because it isn't baseless speculation. It is common knowledge that he eats junk.

That's not commitment to me.
But its up to him about what he wants to be.
Just find it odd for you to be jumping all over him like that.

Patience, and caution not knowing all circumstance around some players slumps is to be heeded by rational fans for player x and y when they suck for 30 40 50 or more, let alone 2 or 3 games, but game 1 and JG looks sluggish like many others on the team, and some one randomly mentions/opines he doesn’t look in shape, and suddenly it’s ran with, assumed 100% true and takes half a page of posts arguing that he’s again stuffed full of donuts, Jolt cola and gummy bears last night, wasting his talent and doesn’t care about his career his team or his life in hockey.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2018, 09:01 PM   #471
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post

Patience, and caution not knowing all circumstance around some players slumps is to be heeded by rational fans for player x and y when they suck for 30 40 50 or more, let alone 2 or 3 games, but game 1 and JG looks sluggish, some one randomly mentions he doesn’t look in shape, and suddenly it’s ran with, assumed 100% true and takes half a page of posts arguing that he’s again stuffed full of donuts, Jolt cola and gummy bears last night and doesn’t care about his career.
Not only that, the poster who mentioned Gaudreau "looks out of shape" and "looks sluggish" is the biggest troll on these forums.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:03 PM   #472
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had more to do with his mental approach. Those first handful of shifts, he seemed perplexed as to where all the open ice and stickhandling space disappeared to. He adjusted later on.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:06 PM   #473
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since the topic seems to have veered towards Johnny’s diet. Here’s an interview SI did with him about his game day eating routine.

Quote:

Fast Start

Gaudreau loads up on eggs before his morning skate. He'll either have a scoopful of scrambled eggs with bacon and cheddar cheese, or a helping of steak and eggs. He'll combine that with cranberry or orange juice and perhaps a coffee on his way to the rink.

Postpractice

As soon as practice ends he heads to the nearest restaurant with an empty stomach. Most days Gaudreau fills that void with two pieces of chicken Parmesan and a side of penne.

Pregame

The afternoon meal will hold him over until 5 p.m., when he has fruit and a PB&J sandwich. "You don't want to be too full by the time the game comes," says Gaudreau. "Just full enough to play."

Postgame

After 20 minutes of ice time, Gaudreau needs to replenish. The strategy? "Getting as much food in my body as I can," he says. It's often a steak—pepper and squeezed lemon, no sauce. Sometimes he'll vary it by having fish or chicken in barbecue sauce. Even if he's full, Gaudreau presses on. "I burn a lot of calories," he says. "I need to make sure I put that back on. I remind myself I need to maintain my weight and finish the whole meal.
I highly recommend reading the whole article though. He’s trying to add muscle mass but at his size and metabolism he has hard time accomplishing it.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:06 PM   #474
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post

Patience, and caution not knowing all circumstance around some players slumps is to be heeded by rational fans for player x and y when they suck for 30 40 50 or more, let alone 2 or 3 games, but game 1 and JG looks sluggish like many others on the team, and some one randomly mentions/opines he doesn’t look in shape, and suddenly it’s ran with, assumed 100% true and takes half a page of posts arguing that he’s again stuffed full of donuts, Jolt cola and gummy bears last night, wasting his talent and doesn’t care about his career his team or his life in hockey.
My concerns about his commitment level date back well before this single game.
And your description of my opinion is an exaggeration of it. Not sure why that's needed.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:08 PM   #475
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like I've said before, Johnny is a great sidekick. A team can't be legit if he's your top gun though.

God dammit Bennett.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:19 PM   #476
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

It wasn’t so much that he ate garbage but that he was a picky eater. He’s a meat and potatoes, hold the green beans kinda guy. He also put up 84 points last year eating that “garbage” lol
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:21 PM   #477
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Johnny Gaudreau is a Mr. Fusion.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:21 PM   #478
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Like I've said before, Johnny is a great sidekick. A team can't be legit if he's your top gun though.

God dammit Bennett.
This exactly, Bennett was the key. He was supposed to be the number 1 elite Center or at the very least ride sidekick with Monny. Combination of size, speed and offensive talent. Whereas Monahan was the calm one, Bennett was to be the catalyst with tenacity aka Gilmour(Bennett ) to Nieuwy(monahan)
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:23 PM   #479
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
My concerns about his commitment level date back well before this single game.
And your description of my opinion is an exaggeration of it. Not sure why that's needed.
Questioning a pro athlete’s commitment level is dicey stuff. How did Johnny do in fitness testing this year? Any idea what his off ice routine is?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2018, 09:25 PM   #480
Your Calgary Flames!
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I’m on the Johnny looks a step slower boat. He of course still has his hands but he doesn’t look as quick as he normally does. Also it looks like he is fatiguing quicker. When Johnny is on his game he can back check fairly well and strip the puck. Blame it on diet or whatever that I do not know and since I do not know I can not have an opinion. But imo elite players ,in order to stay elite, need to be prepared from day one. If he looks better on Saturday then I’ll own it.
Your Calgary Flames! is offline   Reply With Quote