Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-22-2018, 09:01 PM   #81
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

[QUOTE=JonDuke;6690451
Benn is still up for grabs.
Truth be told: We didn't get a single offer on him. We're looking to shed cap, so the price isn't going to be atrocious (picks and/or prospects welcome). [/QUOTE]

So far the way this off season is shaping up is that veteran players, even good ones still performing well, have almost no value.
Which isn't a complaint. I always find it interesting how the game evolves. And right now - there is no market for players with significant cap or beyond a certain age.
So it will be interesting to see how teams manage.
I do think a savvy team right now could buy low on some really good players in their prime years, for a very reasonable cost, and then flip them during the season for a better return.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2018, 06:34 AM   #82
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames have all of the following on the block preferably for picks or decent prospects. Players who led the league will obviously require higher picks or better prospects.

David Krejci
Tomas Plekanec
Scott Hartnell
Alex Burrows
Joe Pavelski

Brent Burns
Zdeno Chara
Braydon Coburn

Thomas Greiss

PM is best way to connect
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:12 PM   #83
Don't Toews Me Bro
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Van has cap room and lots of picks next year, looking for younger players preferably. If you're asking me to take on lots of money will likely need more incentive.

I'll be out of town till Monday - but feel free to send over some offers/ideas.
Don't Toews Me Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:11 PM   #84
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
So far the way this off season is shaping up is that veteran players, even good ones still performing well, have almost no value.
Which isn't a complaint. I always find it interesting how the game evolves. And right now - there is no market for players with significant cap or beyond a certain age.
So it will be interesting to see how teams manage.
I do think a savvy team right now could buy low on some really good players in their prime years, for a very reasonable cost, and then flip them during the season for a better return.
Yeah, I think it makes the game more interesting too. Compounding the "fun" of it all is trying to fit the better roster players from 31 teams into 28 CPHL teams. The cap get trickier. For a while I wondered if we should increase the cap league wide but this actually forces some real thinking and strategy. I like it this way though.

For the bolded part - I agree 100%. If I was in the position, I'd be buying low and selling high a dozen games in when teams start to panic or even at the deadline. I'm living proof that there's idiots who will overpay for a goalie for the playoffs... then trade them for peanuts and show a perfect example of piss poor asset management.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:15 PM   #85
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

If I had the cap space I would be all over Benn, but my whole team is pretty much on expiring RFA contracts. If someone has the space, why not go for Benn? There are only so many better wingers in the league, and his value should go up during the season. Once cheese is being tossed around, you can easily flip him for better value
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:52 AM   #86
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

It looks like the Sharks will keep 8 and 11 and make those selections on draft night unless something significantly changes in the next couple weeks. Meanwhile...

Niederreiter and Silfverberg can both go.

I would be interested in more of a lateral swap for guys I like more so if you like one of these guys, let me know, we might be able to make a deal for a lateral swap. I would even take a look at a 2 for 1.
MJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:25 AM   #87
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savardandjokinen View Post
If I had the cap space I would be all over Benn, but my whole team is pretty much on expiring RFA contracts.
Same thing with the Coyotes,

Still looking to move a forward or two...
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:20 AM   #88
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am still looking to unload Joel Ward's contract. High picks/good prospects in return.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:25 AM   #89
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I am still looking to unload Joel Ward's contract. High picks/good prospects in return.
Don't take this the wrong way, but an older player with a high contract has basically got negative value. To unload him you would probably have to be the one to add something just to incent a team to take on that cap hit.
I'd strongly consider releasing him to free up some cap space.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:27 AM   #90
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but an older player with a high contract has basically got negative value. To unload him you would probably have to be the one to add something just to incent a team to take on that cap hit.
I'd strongly consider releasing him to free up some cap space.
I might be wrong but I think he was saying he’d give prospects/picks in return for taking Joel Ward’s contract
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:30 AM   #91
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savardandjokinen View Post
I might be wrong but I think he was saying he’d give prospects/picks in return for taking Joel Ward’s contract
Perhaps I miss-read. Ashax can you clarify so folks know for sure what is being offered?
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2018, 08:30 AM   #92
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

yes i would be the one giving up picks/prospects

i will release him if i can't find any takers
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2018, 08:34 AM   #93
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks a team with cap space should be all over that!
Old 05-24-2018, 08:44 AM   #94
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its unfortunate, and this is MY OPINION ONLY, the fact that older valuable players have negative value in a league that has nothing to do with the NHL besides the names, is a shame. This is Monopoly. We dont pay to play. The two teams in this years final had a plethora of veterans, and without those would never have got that far.

Just a shame that so many teams that are out of it simply wont find a way to bring some of these guys in. I know that if Benn etc were avialable in the NHL they wouldnt last long.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2018, 09:25 AM   #95
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

After assessing my roster I am now open to listening to offers on 1st overall.

Going to have to be a godfather type of offer. Dahlin is probably going to be Erik Karlsson 2.0 and is under team control for the next 11 years - so going to require a combination top prospects, good young NHLers, and veterans that are still productive to get me to part with him.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:33 AM   #96
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll put this out there since I've had discussions about this offer with a couple GMs
AO+his full cap for a high pick or prospect.

PM me with any interest
Old 05-24-2018, 11:39 AM   #97
Tilley
Retired Aksarben Correspondent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Its unfortunate, and this is MY OPINION ONLY, the fact that older valuable players have negative value in a league that has nothing to do with the NHL besides the names, is a shame. This is Monopoly. We dont pay to play. The two teams in this years final had a plethora of veterans, and without those would never have got that far.

Just a shame that so many teams that are out of it simply wont find a way to bring some of these guys in. I know that if Benn etc were available in the NHL they wouldn't last long.
I was very wary of these types of deals, trading picks for veteran players when I first joined the CPHL because the veterans are essentially depreciating assets. We've seen way too many new GMs join the CPHL trade a bunch of their draft picks to improve the team for a year or two and then struggle when they cannot afford the 1-way salary or have no youth to offset the higher salaries (and then get booted). This is why the league eliminated trading of UFAs IMO. Too many GMs were trading guys they had no intention of signing for high or multiple draft pick packages that would result in teams having no prospect depth. That is why there is such a disparity between teams with great prospects and other teams with no prospects. GMs will have a varied focus, but the typical bottom feeder teams are those that overspend to be competitive for a year and then cannot recover.

I'm fine with GMs holding those picks unless a fabulous deal is presented. To me the game is all about appropriately evaluating your team, recognizing where it is in terms of competitiveness, and developing strategies (short and long term). The GMs that have played longer know what works and doesn't work and too often try to capitalize on the newbs before they figure it out.
Tilley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tilley For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2018, 01:52 PM   #98
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilley View Post
I was very wary of these types of deals, trading picks for veteran players when I first joined the CPHL because the veterans are essentially depreciating assets. We've seen way too many new GMs join the CPHL trade a bunch of their draft picks to improve the team for a year or two and then struggle when they cannot afford the 1-way salary or have no youth to offset the higher salaries (and then get booted). This is why the league eliminated trading of UFAs IMO. Too many GMs were trading guys they had no intention of signing for high or multiple draft pick packages that would result in teams having no prospect depth. That is why there is such a disparity between teams with great prospects and other teams with no prospects. GMs will have a varied focus, but the typical bottom feeder teams are those that overspend to be competitive for a year and then cannot recover.

I'm fine with GMs holding those picks unless a fabulous deal is presented. To me the game is all about appropriately evaluating your team, recognizing where it is in terms of competitiveness, and developing strategies (short and long term). The GMs that have played longer know what works and doesn't work and too often try to capitalize on the newbs before they figure it out.
This is only partly true. Where a GM is committed to turning a team around it can happen quickly regardless of that teams situation. For years the Sharks franchise was a moribund joke and one GM came in and turned it around basically overnight. Same has happened with other franchises.you just need to plan and stick with the plan. Get a good older guy now for cheap, trade him later for two younger guys. It has happened many times.. It's up to the GM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2018, 02:49 PM   #99
Tilley
Retired Aksarben Correspondent

Exp:

I would agree but it largely depends on the existing players. For the Sharks example, the new GM was well versed in how the game is played - accumulated numerous picks from selling off his usable assets (to less experienced GMs), then used a portion of those picks to acquire different assets that made them competitive. In my case the previous GM left me without a first round pick for two years, no prospects, and only three usable players (Giroux, Couture, and Luongo). I'm sure an experienced GM could have turned the team around, but as someone new to the game it took me a couple seasons to develop my plan and begin to act on it.
Tilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:47 PM   #100
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilley View Post
I would agree but it largely depends on the existing players. For the Sharks example, the new GM was well versed in how the game is played - accumulated numerous picks from selling off his usable assets (to less experienced GMs), then used a portion of those picks to acquire different assets that made them competitive. In my case the previous GM left me without a first round pick for two years, no prospects, and only three usable players (Giroux, Couture, and Luongo). I'm sure an experienced GM could have turned the team around, but as someone new to the game it took me a couple seasons to develop my plan and begin to act on it.
nah it wasnt current GM...this is a number of years ago. Hell you turned your team around with patience. But you still had to make deals for decent players to flip them around.