Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2017, 06:12 PM   #161
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Ivy League schools don't give out athletic scholarships, so when he does turn pro, he's not leaving behind a big free-ride deal.

Not like that should matter to a guy who'll be signing a pretty good ELC.

That's interesting

Last edited by Beninho; 03-24-2017 at 06:17 PM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:15 PM   #162
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Ivy League schools don't give out athletic scholarships, so when he does turn pro, he's not leaving behind a big free-ride deal.

Wow I didnt know that.

That being said another year and a contract would be ideal.

Last edited by Moneyhands23; 03-24-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 12:27 PM   #163
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Deserving of a bump on main forum with hat trick last night and 7 pts in 2 games. He will be quite the NHL PP Quarterback.

Source: https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/ho...rd-university/

"Fox picked up a hat trick and added an assist in Harvard's 5-0...Fox should be playing on the United States Olympic team...The Flames are going to do everything in their power to try to get Fox to turn pro after Harvard's season comes to an end."
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Flamescuprun2018 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2018, 12:41 PM   #164
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

This guy is our wild card. He has such a high ceiling could completely change our back end. I have high hopes but they are tempered
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2018, 12:48 PM   #165
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

His numbers are down (ish) this year. Cause for concern or is Fox focusing on developing other aspects of his game?
Old 02-17-2018, 12:50 PM   #166
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I hope a chance to play with his USA countrymen is enough to get him signed.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 12:57 PM   #167
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Fivenagame View Post
His numbers are down (ish) this year. Cause for concern or is Fox focusing on developing other aspects of his game?
It is a down year for Harvard. 4 of their 5 top scoring forwards for the 16/17 season graduated over the summer.

Last year Harvard was scoring 4.13 goals per game. This year 3 goals per game so far.

Also some talk that their leading scorer Ryan Donato might leave the school after the Olympics to join the Bruins.

Not saying that completely explains everything, but it is a contributing factor.

Last edited by sureLoss; 02-17-2018 at 01:04 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2018, 12:59 PM   #168
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wonder what the chances are that he won't sign with the Flames. One would assume they are actively discussing this with him.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:04 PM   #169
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

No, but they do offer financial assistance, based on need.

Quote:
Does Harvard offer scholarships?

No. As an Ivy League institution, Harvard does not offer athletic or academic scholarships to students. However, Harvard does provide need-based financial aid to those students who demonstrate financial need. To learn more about applying for financial aid at Harvard, visit https://college.harvard.edu/financial-aid.
Not sure how that might apply here
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:04 PM   #170
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinit47 View Post
I wonder what the chances are that he won't sign with the Flames. One would assume they are actively discussing this with him.
Harvard is a school where players do not leave early often. Obviously getting an Ivy League education is an accomplishment and we can all assume Fox is there on a full ride scholarship.

The main advantage the Flames have is burning a yesrmoff his contract next year. I suppose they can guarantee him a spot to try and get him to come out early and even burn a year this season depending where things are come playoff time.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:11 PM   #171
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not someone who frets over players signing. Wasn't worried about Johnny or Jankowski. Harvard is a little different though - there is value to him in getting the degree. And should he do so, it then only requires a couple extra months over the summer to become a FA.

IMO, if he goes back to Harvard for year 3, then he probably does year 4 as well. So you have to move him.

So sign by summer or move him.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2018, 01:14 PM   #172
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I am not someone who frets over players signing. Wasn't worried about Johnny or Jankowski. Harvard is a little different though - there is value to him in getting the degree. And should he do so, it then only requires a couple extra months over the summer to become a FA.

IMO, if he goes back to Harvard for year 3, then he probably does year 4 as well. So you have to move him.

So sign by summer or move him.

I think you wait until after third year before giving up, assuming he goes back. He’ll be a better player, more ready to step into the lineup, making that a sweeter offer for him. Also more attractive for trade if it comes to that.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:23 PM   #173
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Harvard is a school where players do not leave early often. Obviously getting an Ivy League education is an accomplishment and we can all assume Fox is there on a full ride scholarship.

The main advantage the Flames have is burning a yesrmoff his contract next year. I suppose they can guarantee him a spot to try and get him to come out early and even burn a year this season depending where things are come playoff time.
I don't think Harvard offers athletic scholarships, probably well to do parents
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:24 PM   #174
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
I think you wait until after third year before giving up, assuming he goes back. He’ll be a better player, more ready to step into the lineup, making that a sweeter offer for him. Also more attractive for trade if it comes to that.
agreed... i think you have to wait and show some patience with Fox if necessary.

waiting to the summer after his third year seems reasonable, though i do think the Flames will be pushing relatively hard after this year to sign him or at least get a sense of where his head it at.

The Flames waited until Johnny finished his 3rd year at BC before signing him, so i think its reasonable.

hopefully Johnny, who also went to school in Boston can be someone that is able sell him, recruiting style, on the virtues of the organization and the positives of living here.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:25 PM   #175
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
If you've put 3 years in at Harvard, do you do your 4th?

Also, if the Flames haven't signed him after year 3 and are looking to trade him, that is a big red flag that he doesn't want to sign, which reduces his trade value.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:29 PM   #176
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Also, if the Flames haven't signed him after year 3 and are looking to trade him, that is a big red flag that he doesn't want to sign, which reduces his trade value.
If you do 3 years at Harvard how do you not finish you degree? I get that having an NHL contract waiting for you is a little different situation, but still.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2018, 01:37 PM   #177
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Harvard is a great school. I may be leaving money on the table, but I would rather finish my degree and then going from there.

Unfortunately, I don't see him as a long-term piece with the Flames. However, Johnny did defy all odds with us, and look where he is at now in the NHL. Would definitely be a good incentive for Fox too. It will ultimately be his decision whether or not he signs with us in the summer but I agree with Enoch Root that if you fail to sign him this summer, you're better off using him as your trading chip.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:41 PM   #178
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

its a tough question.

i don't necessarily think it reduces Fox's trade value to other teams however... if he decides that he doesn't want to sign with Calgary, that won't reduce his value to say pittsburgh or the flyers, especially if its a case of wanting to sign in the US for example

I would argue that if calgary starts shopping him in year four, that there'd be a lot of teams trying to land him if he continues on his current trajectory.

I would rather have Calgary sign him however...he's one of those types of players that would do great in today's NHL.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:43 PM   #179
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default With the 66th OA pick Flames select D Adam Fox

Quote:

It’s a risk. If he doesn’t sign at the end of the school year (next year) in time to play a game or two then he isn’t likely to sign at all and should be traded at the draft. I think he still has good value then - he’s tracking to be a potentially special player, it’s like getting a can’t miss first rounder. Giving up on him now is too soon -a lot can happen in a year, like winning a championship, tiring of school life, acquiring his best friend, meeting a Calgary woman, ....

Edit: Having said that, I assume Treliving will have a good read and act accordingly, unless Fox pulls an Erixson and lies about his intentions.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:44 PM   #180
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Fox has to be looking at the Flames RD depth wondering where/if he fits.

The Ham's have #1 and #2 RD locked up and Rasmus is already knocking on the door.

What else is there for Fox in the NCAA? Sounds like Harvard is only going to get worse, so likely no chance at a national title.

Maybe he signs at end of this season, turns pro and gets a head start developing his pro game in the AHL.

Interesting prospect to watch.