Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2019, 07:23 PM   #1201
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
I don't know if a lot of it is new stuff coming out or I've just delved really deep into the beer world but there is some really weird #### out there.

For example, this feels like getting punched in the mouth with a cupcake.

Also picking up a lot more nitros because I love a good smooth coffee stout.

Finally, do people actually care for barleywines?
Good barleywines are among my favorite beers. There are only a handful of really good ones and they are hard to find. Granted, they are an acquired taste for sure.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:48 AM   #1202
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

This Saturday and Sunday:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1215340971820384256
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2020, 02:56 PM   #1203
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
damn you #somerestrictions apply....bring on the -40!
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 05:29 PM   #1204
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone know anything about the tokyo drift silver lid brewery day?

And ya, tokyo drift out in cans again.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:31 PM   #1205
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Anyone know anything about the tokyo drift silver lid brewery day?

And ya, tokyo drift out in cans again.
no
and
Excellent!
Old 04-13-2020, 06:40 PM   #1206
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Been catching up on some local beer over the weekend.

Tried a trio from Old Yale in Chilliwack, which also makes Sasquatch stout (one of Canada's best stouts IMO).

First up:

This one actually tops their Sasquatch stout. Potent, rich, smooth and, unfortunately, seasonal. Cleaned out my local liquor store of it's supply, but looks like I'll have to wait for next winter to snag any more. If you find it, grab it. It's up there with Aphrodisiaque as one of Canada's absolute top dark beers.

Next up:

One of the great things about experimenting is it yields beer like the imperial stout above. The downside is it also results in concoctions like this one. Good idea in theory, but all the different elements - fruit, sour, stout - just counteract each other. Finished it, but the first half was a struggle until my palate surrendered. Not recommended.

Last from this brewery:

Similar to the cherry stout, this one is a work in progress. It works a bit better, and is at least drinkable in a largely pleasant way, but doesn't really do anything super well.

Finally, from Andina brewing in Vancouver:

This one is tasty, and the coconut works really well. If they nitroed it to give it some more depth (it's a little thin) it could be a very good beer. A good one if you prefer porters to stouts (as falls more in line with the former). Keen to try out a few more from this brewery, as they're doing a lot of unique stuff.

Anyone found a good pairing for their self-isolation?
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flylock shox For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2020, 08:35 AM   #1207
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Looks like I'm drinking alone, so I'll add another couple of recent dark beer experiments to the list if only for my own self-amusement

From Coquitlam's Mariner brewing, their Night Sky mocha stout:

I found this one a bit like the Andina one reviewed above, in that it lacks the body I'd prefer in a stout. Curiously, it also isn't mocha-y as I would have expected, with both coffee and chocolate being less pronounced than I'd imagine. Combine that with the thinness of the beer, and I'd say it's no better than ordinary. A better - and completely different - beer from this brewery is their Venture Blueberry Sour, which works really well as a summer beer.

One more (which came in a care package from some non-dark-beer-drinking friends) is Driftwood's Black Stone porter:

This was much better. If you went to a bar and their beer list had one that just said "Porter" with no other description, this is the beer you would expect/hope to get. No messing around with any experimentation, just a classic porter in every way, and richer than even some of the stouts above. Definitely recommended if you like porters or stouts.

Last dark beer for today, Hearthstone brewing's chocolate milk stout.

This one is a beauty. Understated, but a great example of exactly what it's designed to be. Really nice texture, sufficiently chocolatey, and surprisingly sessionable. It's not at the level of Old Yale's Irish Imperial or even Sasquatch stouts, but it's not that far behind and may be more approachable than either OY brew.

A couple of other non-dark beers I tried at the dawn of self-isolation are House of Funk's carrot saison (which works as well as it sounds it would, i.e., not so much) and Chaka Khan sour IPA (which works much better than it sounds like it would).

This is a highly experimental brewery, and one of my favourites to do tastings at for that reason. If you find yourself in Vancouver once travel is cool again, hop a boat to North Vancouver and check this one out, which in my view is the best - or at least most interesting - of the now dozenish breweries in the North Shore's brew district.

Last edited by flylock shox; 04-16-2020 at 08:38 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to flylock shox For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2020, 08:53 AM   #1208
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Ah heck, one more dark beer just because I don't feel like starting work yet.

Some people don't like the umami/sea-salt element in this beer, but those people are bananas. This is a unique, rich, and delicious stout that you should definitely try if you like dark beer and haven't had it before. To me, it's one of BC's best, and a must if one finds oneself in Tofino, where it can be had at the brewery along with their (not dark but very delicious and sadly seasonal) Spruce Ale.
The Following User Says Thank You to flylock shox For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2020, 08:23 PM   #1209
BowRiverBruinsRule
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post
Ah heck, one more dark beer just because I don't feel like starting work yet.

Some people don't like the umami/sea-salt element in this beer, but those people are bananas. This is a unique, rich, and delicious stout that you should definitely try if you like dark beer and haven't had it before. To me, it's one of BC's best, and a must if one finds oneself in Tofino, where it can be had at the brewery along with their (not dark but very delicious and sadly seasonal) Spruce Ale.
This is a great beer. One of my favorites for years. Silver Springs has it. The salt element is what makes it unique. I remember my dad in the Legion sprinkling salt into his Boh. Maybe he was onto something.
BowRiverBruinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BowRiverBruinsRule For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2020, 08:49 PM   #1210
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Tried the New England IPA from Railyard tonight, very nice summer beer. Will be enjoying this one for the months to come
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 01:18 PM   #1211
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofR View Post
Tried the New England IPA from Railyard tonight, very nice summer beer. Will be enjoying this one for the months to come
Their regular IPA is very grapefruit forward and refreshing. I get every once in a while if I want something that feels like you're sitting on a beach with some of those new fangled clean hippies.
Old 05-17-2020, 03:07 PM   #1212
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any suggestions for sours or kettle sours? Preferably something available at Co-op. TIA!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Izzle For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 07:15 AM   #1213
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle View Post
Any suggestions for sours or kettle sours? Preferably something available at Co-op. TIA!

Blindman Brewing out of Lacombe makes some very good kettle sours. I’m sure I’ve seen it at co-op before.

Last edited by CofR; 05-19-2020 at 07:19 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 07:21 AM   #1214
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Anyone looking for a great summer beer should pick up some of the Hoptimast Orange Cream IPA from Troubled Monk
The Following User Says Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 07:33 AM   #1215
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I like Jam Rock from Establishment and Staycation from Cabin Brewing.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 10:28 AM   #1216
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

not my drink of choice but a buddy last night was saying good things about the Annex Pity Party which I think fits that bill- although maybe hard to find now as it was a one off
The Following User Says Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 10:43 AM   #1217
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Annex's King's English is not something I would have thought I would have liked at all (Black tea lemon pale ale) but it is ridiculously good. Lower ABV, not too heavy handed on the tea and lemon flavors, solid pale ale underneath it all = going down easy out in the sunshine all weekend. After a couple hours of weeding and raking the yard, that may have been the best beer I have had all year - situationally speaking.

Pity Party was also a solid beer, it really walked up to the line of being cloyingly fruity but stopped just short. I have a couple left in the fridge, looking forward to them.

Also been digging Jam Rock lately from Establishment, when it warms up a bit from fridge temperature it gets a really nice vanilla note.

Jungle Bird from Dandy remains a quality choice, lots of tropical fruit.

Really want to try out Cabin's new dunkel - Nocturne. Nice to have a few choices that aren't IPA or a sour.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 10:48 AM   #1218
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Annex's King's English is not something I would have thought I would have liked at all (Black tea lemon pale ale) but it is ridiculously good. Lower ABV, not too heavy handed on the tea and lemon flavors, solid pale ale underneath it all = going down easy out in the sunshine all weekend. After a couple hours of weeding and raking the yard, that may have been the best beer I have had all year - situationally speaking.

I also enjoyed this (King's English)- but agree with you very situational

had my first Cabin City of Dreams (Vienna lager) yesterday- and after a day of yardwork and while bbqing I quite enjoyed it
Old 05-19-2020, 11:41 AM   #1219
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Nectarous from Four Winds is pretty awesome. Im fairly certain it is available at Co op, but highlander for sure.

https://untappd.com/b/four-winds-bre...ctarous/574077
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 01:10 PM   #1220
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heading to the field tomorrow and thought I'd be close enough to swing by Medicine Hat Brewing, but alas I will not be.

They might be my favorite local brewery these days. They are putting out some awesome stuff.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beer , conway twitty , drunks , yes conway twitty