Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2021, 08:39 AM   #221
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well, I guess I was wrong about the ejections - guys appear to be following the rules which surprises me a bit. Agree with Kasi though, it seems to be having an immediate effect.
Old 06-23-2021, 04:22 PM   #222
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasi View Post
Yet it’s working, just the threat of this happening dropped spin rates back to 2017 levels and offense immediately rebounded. Do they have room to make the procedure better sure, but getting spin rates back under control is going to lead to more enjoyable baseball.
Curious where you are finding spin rates tracked by game like that. Wonder if it's too soon to make a conclusion (2 games for each team?) but I do hope we are seeing a difference.

Still an issue with hitters and their all or nothing approach at the plate and lack of attention to baserunning.

But agree with you that anything that gets more balls in play is helpful.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 04:41 PM   #223
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Girardi is just a blowhard.

KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 11:09 AM   #224
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spin rates may be down a bit, which is great, but keeping them down is a different story.

It's like trying to clamp down on interference in hockey - you can start calling stuff tighter and it will reduce things for a while, but then it slowly creeps back to where it was.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 01:23 PM   #225
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://news.sportslogos.net/2021/06...time/baseball/

Terrible
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 04:54 PM   #226
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Huge brawl in Mexico last night....throwing bats??

Old 06-25-2021, 12:53 PM   #227
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty good article on espn.com about strategies to reduce K's. A couple of options that caught my interest:

Move the mound back a foot
Robo umps with tighter strike zones

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...b-working-plan
Old 06-25-2021, 01:56 PM   #228
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tighter strike zones sounds like a good idea - more offense - but I think in reality, it would be a terrible idea.

A smaller strike zone means more balls, more walks, starters not lasting as long, more bullpen pitchers, and more time waiting for pitching changes.

In other words, a game that already goes north of 3 hours most days, and north of 4 hours fairly often, would actually slow down and play significantly longer.

No thank you.
Old 06-25-2021, 02:05 PM   #229
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Tighter strike zones sounds like a good idea - more offense - but I think in reality, it would be a terrible idea.

A smaller strike zone means more balls, more walks, starters not lasting as long, more bullpen pitchers, and more time waiting for pitching changes.

In other words, a game that already goes north of 3 hours most days, and north of 4 hours fairly often, would actually slow down and play significantly longer.

No thank you.
I think the biggest thing isn't to squeeze the strike zone, it is to standardize by introducing robo-umps that only ever call strikes that catch any part of the plate from right at the base of the kneecap to right below the chest. Have your sensors in place and have a consistent strike zone every game for every player.

I don't know what it is but the umpires have been atrocious this year when calling strikes and balls.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 02:18 PM   #230
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
I think the biggest thing isn't to squeeze the strike zone, it is to standardize by introducing robo-umps that only ever call strikes that catch any part of the plate from right at the base of the kneecap to right below the chest. Have your sensors in place and have a consistent strike zone every game for every player.

I don't know what it is but the umpires have been atrocious this year when calling strikes and balls.
Yes, I am fine with robo umps (though I am not holding my breath), I was referring specifically to smaller strike zones, which are generating a lot of interest and often go hand in hand with robo umps.
Old 06-25-2021, 03:13 PM   #231
carmenshoes
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Anyone know where I can give free streams of MLB games?
carmenshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 04:51 PM   #232
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Curious where you are finding spin rates tracked by game like that. Wonder if it's too soon to make a conclusion (2 games for each team?) but I do hope we are seeing a difference.

Still an issue with hitters and their all or nothing approach at the plate and lack of attention to baserunning.

But agree with you that anything that gets more balls in play is helpful.
Rosenthal had an article in Athletic about it. https://theathletic.com/2662836/2021...ifficult-part/

Lots of interesting stuff in there but main thing was tracking of spin/velocity ratios. I can post the chart they had but basically last three weeks before that article spin rates dramatically dropped starting from all time highs to thre most recent week being below 2015 levels.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kasi For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2021, 10:03 PM   #233
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Tatis has hit three home runs in the first four innings to tie Vladdy at 25. He's still got at least two more at bats tonight.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 10:47 PM   #234
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

No thank you.
I personally don't believe a tighter strike zone necessarily means more walks. Pitchers will find the strike zone, with hopefully less spin and velocity and we will ultimately see more contact.

It's the K that is burying the game right now, not walks. So I'm interested in seeing the effects of a tighter strike zone before writing it off.
Old 06-26-2021, 11:43 AM   #235
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Words can’t describe how ####ty I feel for Mike Soroka. I hope he’s getting the right treatment for the mental anguish he must be facing right now. He’s too young to have to worry about a potential career ending injury.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 11:49 AM   #236
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Words can’t describe how ####ty I feel for Mike Soroka. I hope he’s getting the right treatment for the mental anguish he must be facing right now. He’s too young to have to worry about a potential career ending injury.
Just horrible luck for a young guy with the brightest of futures. I really hope surgery goes well and we can see him on the bump again. One of Calgary's brightest athletes that's for sure.
flamingred89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 12:41 PM   #237
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Soroka came out of the walking boot on Wednesday and then tore the Achilles again while walking into the Braves clubhouse at Truist Park on Thursday.

Sounds more and more like whoever did the surgery messed it up.

Old 06-26-2021, 12:43 PM   #238
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Horrible news for Soroka but hopefully he can come back next year. I've never heard of an achilles injury (or any lower body injury) be career ending for a pitcher, so hopefully he'll be able to have a long career with less miles on his arm as he gets older.

I read he re-injured it walking to the clubhouse -- that must be such a sickening feeling.

https://www.tsn.ca/atlanta-braves-mi...gery-1.1660488
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 04:23 PM   #239
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jacob DeGrom gave up 2 earned runs in his start today and his era is still a whopping 0.69. Nice.

Old 06-27-2021, 03:07 PM   #240
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hector Santiago is the first player to be ejected for violating MLB’s new foreign-substance policy.

Santiago said he wasn't using anything sticky when his glove was confiscated and he was ejected. He said it was a combination of rosin and sweat. He has not been told whether he will be suspended or not.