Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2020, 10:32 AM   #661
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
In this day and age a professional sports league that has zero transparency, full of owners all trying to out-cheat the others was always going to fall on very hard times. The league is fatally flawed as you simply can't operate a sports league like this anymore as everyone knows the owners are crooks. It may be best for the league to fold, be dismantled, and be resurrected with fresh faces as the old regime is simply out of touch.
I tend to agree. I have sympathy for the fans and employees of the CFL but not for the league itself. i think it's a very poorly run business, that I also wouldn't loan money too. The league needs to mature or re-shape itself.
The fact they want open their books is damning. They are the authors of their own demise.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 11:59 AM   #662
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

The bad news is that teams like the Argos will likely lose a few million dollars this year.

The good news is that may be best season the Argos have had financially in recent memory.

<< rimshot >>
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 12:45 PM   #663
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I tend to agree. I have sympathy for the fans and employees of the CFL but not for the league itself. i think it's a very poorly run business, that I also wouldn't loan money too. The league needs to mature or re-shape itself.
The fact they want open their books is damning. They are the authors of their own demise.
It's pretty clear the owners are making more money than they are leading on. This ensures they can always cry poor when looking for new facilities and keeping player salaries in check. CFL has always been a love/hate thing for me. I love the sport as I watch it religiously but I hate the shadiness of the league. Maybe this can be a wake up call for them but knowing the CFL they will come back next season crying poor to to squeeze the players even more.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2020, 06:21 PM   #664
GeoffSK
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
As per Nik Lewis on twitter the CFL wouldn't open up their books to the Feds while asking for a handout. C'mon, it's like going to a bank for a mortgage and saying nope, I won't tell you anything about my other finances but just give me the money because I need it.

What are hiding? They wouldn't open up books during CBA negotiations won't lay out the salary number of players.

In the end I think it only really hurts the players and fans don't get the enjoy the CFL. The owners were fine before and will be fine afterwards.
Just because Nik Lewis says it doesn't make it true. Don't think he was involved in any negotiations.

Naylor talks about it in this tweet. And more within tweet thread.

https://twitter.com/TSNDaveNaylor/st...294665731?s=19

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

Last edited by GeoffSK; 08-18-2020 at 06:27 PM.
GeoffSK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GeoffSK For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2020, 11:12 PM   #665
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I think jumping to conclusions based on Lewis' tweets aren't the way to go.

My guess is half the teams make a modest profit. The TSN dollars account for most of that, and then the gate revenue is cherries on top. Montreal and Toronto and maybe BC don't money because their gate revenue is poor and the marketing dollars that spend aren't doing anything.

Sask would be a tough one. Of course they make a profit because of their filled stadium and the revenue off of that and merchandise. Stamps probably a bit behind them, because of.maybe lower operating costs thanks to the cheaper stadium and the synergy they have with being part of the CESC and the efficiencies created there.

But I don't think any of these owners are making tens of millions in profit (I don't think the Flames make that much) and hiding it from the players. The most damning thing in the books if they opened themnis probably how much money teams like Montreal are hemorrhaging and how other teams are using money to keep a team like that and maybe Toronto afloat, which itself is cutting into league profits and the profit sharing pool.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 06:52 AM   #666
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffSK View Post
Just because Nik Lewis says it doesn't make it true. Don't think he was involved in any negotiations.

Naylor talks about it in this tweet. And more within tweet thread.

https://twitter.com/TSNDaveNaylor/st...294665731?s=19

The CFL has never opened their books for anyone and there's a reason for that. We are talking about a league that doesn't even make player contracts public because they don't want players knowing what other comparable players are making and don't want people to know that their salary cap is a sham. It's evident as per Naylor's tweet that for any government assistance they would have to open their books which is why they would rather just cancel a season that pursue that avenue hard.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 08-19-2020 at 06:55 AM.
Old 08-19-2020, 10:14 AM   #667
GeoffSK
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The CFL has never opened their books for anyone and there's a reason for that. We are talking about a league that doesn't even make player contracts public because they don't want players knowing what other comparable players are making and don't want people to know that their salary cap is a sham. It's evident as per Naylor's tweet that for any government assistance they would have to open their books which is why they would rather just cancel a season that pursue that avenue hard.
I don't disagree with most of what you said. I just don't think having to "open up the books" is reason the season was cancelled and partnership with the goverment was abandoned for now.

Last edited by GeoffSK; 08-19-2020 at 10:20 AM.
GeoffSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 11:44 AM   #668
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffSK View Post
I don't disagree with most of what you said. I just don't think having to "open up the books" is reason the season was cancelled and partnership with the goverment was abandoned for now.

Obviously thats not the only reason but if you want an interest free loan you'd go in prepared with your books open and have everything prepared. The decided they will show if asked but I highly doubt they will considering they have never opened their books even during CBA negotiations.

For the CFL owners, it isn't a partnership with players. The league needs a full re-set.

I've defended Randy in the past but I've heard comments on how they're still committed to the foreign leagues they've been working with. If there is no Canadian league then these other leagues won't matter. Get your house in order first.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 12:54 PM   #669
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Obviously thats not the only reason but if you want an interest free loan you'd go in prepared with your books open and have everything prepared. The decided they will show if asked but I highly doubt they will considering they have never opened their books even during CBA negotiations.

For the CFL owners, it isn't a partnership with players. The league needs a full re-set.

I've defended Randy in the past but I've heard comments on how they're still committed to the foreign leagues they've been working with. If there is no Canadian league then these other leagues won't matter. Get your house in order first.
I think the league looked at the federal government throwing pandemic money around and thought there was an opportunity to capitalize with their claim they needed $150 million in funding. Once the government laughed that off the league magically only needed $44 million, then $30 million. Naylor's source is just that and I do believe the CFLPA was very, very, very interested in the CFL's negotiations with the government as the lock and key has never been taken off the CFL's books and I don't believe it's something the league wants to show anyone.
Old 08-19-2020, 01:16 PM   #670
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Why doesn't TSN help them out? They won't have much live content this Fall.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 03:17 PM   #671
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Why doesn't TSN help them out? They won't have much live content this Fall.
I'm sure TSN would have been happy to pay the CFL to broadcast the condensed schedule but I doubt they are in any financial position to help prop up the league. Canadian TV broadcasting is small potatoes compared to the USA.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:58 AM   #672
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1296137805379248130

https://twitter.com/user/status/1296137806805262337
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 11:03 AM   #673
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, I didn't see this posted, but the Stamps released Nate Holley to allow him to pursue NFL opportunities...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1296201789012709378
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 08:43 AM   #674
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Too many to list, but looking at 3downnation, there's many players opting out of their CFL contracts to pursue other opportunities.

https://3downnation.com/

I can only imagine what this will do for teams next year. Not only will it be hard getting players who've been with the CFL back to play here, but convincing anyone looking for another chance has gotten a lot harder as well.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 08:59 AM   #675
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think there will always be players looking for a place to play. Losing quality players (i.e. the ones good enough to warrant NFL consideration) will be an issue though.

Question for everyone -- do you think the league would be better off re-booting with only 8 teams (i.e. no Toronto)? Just in terms of getting back on their feet, perhaps the League tells Toronto we're not going to hand over millions of dollars for the next few years to keep you afloat, but then perhaps come back in 2-3 years with expansion teams in Toronto and Halifax?
Old 08-26-2020, 09:46 AM   #676
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I have my doubts that there's the same type of TV deal with no Toronto franchise since its the largest TV market in the country.

We're going to get a major roster reboot, if or when the league comes back to play.

In other news, I've heard about salary cuts and hours cuts with CFL team staffs with possible layoffs.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 10:17 AM   #677
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I have my doubts that there's the same type of TV deal with no Toronto franchise since its the largest TV market in the country.
Would it be unfair to make them play every game on the road? Because 12k in attendance isn't going to cut it...
Old 08-30-2020, 04:46 PM   #678
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vernon Adams Jr. has opted out of his contract with Montreal to pursue NFL opportunities.
Old 08-30-2020, 05:00 PM   #679
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

yeah, even if or when the league comes back, its going to look a lot different roster wise. While I have faith in Huff and DD and their ability to scour the earth for good players, some of the teams never seem to take recruiting seriously.

Even if the league comes back it could take a while for it to recover, and we might see a lower level of play.

Sorry guys, I'm not feeling all that optimistic right now. Financial and labor troubles are going to make things tough.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2020, 05:03 PM   #680
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

First Labour Day game I won’t be attending in like 20 years. Definitely feels weird that my traditional end of summer event won’t be happening.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Familia For This Useful Post: