Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-27-2019, 07:36 AM   #2201
GordonBlue
First Line Centre
 
GordonBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Alberta
Exp:
Default

I'm in a union. I don't believe in strikes as a tool of negotiation.

If there was a strike, I admit I'd be the first one across the picket line. paying my bills and supporting my family trumps all.

people love to talk about sacrificing for the greater good only when it doesn't cost them anything.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 08:07 AM   #2202
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender
 
northcrunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I'm in a union. I don't believe in strikes as a tool of negotiation.

If there was a strike, I admit I'd be the first one across the picket line. paying my bills and supporting my family trumps all.

people love to talk about sacrificing for the greater good only when it doesn't cost them anything.
If you work for Unifor they will dox you all over twitter calling you a scab. Unions are poison.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:10 AM   #2203
timun
Backup Goalie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Exp:
Default



The whole point of forming a union is to collectively act, to be in a better bargaining position than you would be individually. Striking is one of the few options the union has. Undermining your own union by working as a scab is nonsensical.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:15 AM   #2204
Resolute 14
One of many who is too boring; thinks that there should be rules regarding grammar in custom user titles, and also makes moderators wonder if there is a charachter limit here. I mean come on- you would think that would be a limitation in the software
 
Resolute 14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
What do you think they wanted to happen? Iím pretty sure we can agree that inciting violence against these replacement workers would almost certainly eliminate any support the union had from the general public in their dispute and that that doesnít help their cause at all. I think we can also agree that if publicly exposing these people results in their friends and families dissuading them from continuing to cross the picket line thatís a win for the union. While itís almost impossible to prove their intent, I donít think itís naive to believe their intent was to yield a result that would help their cause rather than harm it.
Dude, you and I both know unions don't have much support from the general public. Especially unions like Unifor. They don't give a crap about public opinion. They only care about maintaining their protection racket, and if that involves terrorizing people trying to earn a paycheque, they will do it without the slightest hesitation. You know this, so stop pretending it isn't happening.
__________________

Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:24 AM   #2205
Resolute 14
One of many who is too boring; thinks that there should be rules regarding grammar in custom user titles, and also makes moderators wonder if there is a charachter limit here. I mean come on- you would think that would be a limitation in the software
 
Resolute 14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Exp:
Default

Anyway, Elizabeth May wants to both get off oil entirely and use Alberta oil domestically. Nice to see her at least speaking in support of our province, even if she doesn't want us to be able to move it at all. https://globalnews.ca/news/5320262/g...a-foreign-oil/
__________________

Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:30 AM   #2206
GordonBlue
First Line Centre
 
GordonBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post


The whole point of forming a union is to collectively act, to be in a better bargaining position than you would be individually. Striking is one of the few options the union has. Undermining your own union by working as a scab is nonsensical.
i'm the sole breadwinner in my household, and unfortunately, we are paycheque to paycheque at this time.
I'm at the point where I feel like I'd drive over someone's grandmother to pay the bills and keep the family afloat.

I'm lucky that the union I am in has a good relationship with the company and they both actually negotiate in good faith. I doubt it would ever come to a strike.

but I don't care. my immediate needs are more important to me that the greater good of the collective. I'd be willing to endure the ill treatment from coworkers when it was over, and also risk them finding a way to get rid of me down the road.

I personally know only 2 people who have gone on strike. neither of them ever regained what they lost by being on the picket line. just because you have a tool doesn't mean you should use it.

now many of you would probably disagree and would fully support your brothers and sisters, but I can't be one of them. my personal consequences are greater then the professional.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:31 AM   #2207
GordonBlue
First Line Centre
 
GordonBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
JWR and Philpot won't run for the Greens


https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/wil...150690?cmp=rss
hope we hear today what they are doing.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:43 AM   #2208
CaptainCrunch
Norm!
 
CaptainCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
hope we hear today what they are doing.

Press conferences coming up shortly.
__________________
Just when you think you have the answers, I change the questions
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:50 AM   #2209
chemgear
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Anyway, Elizabeth May wants to both get off oil entirely and use Alberta oil domestically. Nice to see her at least speaking in support of our province, even if she doesn't want us to be able to move it at all. https://globalnews.ca/news/5320262/g...a-foreign-oil/
From the article.

Privately, Liberal government critics suggest there is no way to have Canadaís east coast use Canadian oil without building a new pipeline to get the products there. May does not support a new pipeline anywhere, and argues the raw bitumen could be transferred by rail as long as Canada invests more in its rail services.
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:53 AM   #2210
edslunch
First Line Centre
 
edslunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Press conferences coming up shortly.

Why do they think anyone cares?
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:57 AM   #2211
CaptainCrunch
Norm!
 
CaptainCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Exp:
Default

Its still a interesting story of two rogue MP's who basically rebelled against their party and even JWR hinted that she couldn't support this prime minister. They've both indicated that there's more to their story that they can't tell because privilege.


Even the Liberal's care they're walking around on egg shells over the both of them.
__________________
Just when you think you have the answers, I change the questions
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:57 AM   #2212
Resolute 14
One of many who is too boring; thinks that there should be rules regarding grammar in custom user titles, and also makes moderators wonder if there is a charachter limit here. I mean come on- you would think that would be a limitation in the software
 
Resolute 14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Why do they think anyone cares?
Because a lot of people do.

The better question is, why do you think nobody cares?
__________________

Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:59 AM   #2213
CaptainCrunch
Norm!
 
CaptainCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Exp:
Default

https://twitter.com/user/status/1132997885702881287
__________________
Just when you think you have the answers, I change the questions
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 10:00 AM   #2214
timun
Backup Goalie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
i'm the sole breadwinner in my household, and unfortunately, we are paycheque to paycheque at this time.
I'm at the point where I feel like I'd drive over someone's grandmother to pay the bills and keep the family afloat.

I'm lucky that the union I am in has a good relationship with the company and they both actually negotiate in good faith. I doubt it would ever come to a strike.

but I don't care. my immediate needs are more important to me that the greater good of the collective. I'd be willing to endure the ill treatment from coworkers when it was over, and also risk them finding a way to get rid of me down the road.

I personally know only 2 people who have gone on strike. neither of them ever regained what they lost by being on the picket line. just because you have a tool doesn't mean you should use it.

now many of you would probably disagree and would fully support your brothers and sisters, but I can't be one of them. my personal consequences are greater then the professional.
I understand you'd be in a bind if you went on strike, but the whole point of bargaining collectively as part of a union is to act together for the betterment of all union members. E.g. if you're working a low-skill job where you're easily replaceable by another worker (no offence...) it's in everyone's interest to bargain together, otherwise your employer picks you off individually whenever they decide you're making more money/have better benefits than a new hire would have. If you are willing to work as a scab you're undermining the power of collective bargaining, and by extension you're depressing your own wages and benefits.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:01 AM   #2215
Duruss
Crash and Bang Winger
 
Duruss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sundre
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
From the article.

Privately, Liberal government critics suggest there is no way to have Canadaís east coast use Canadian oil without building a new pipeline to get the products there. May does not support a new pipeline anywhere, and argues the raw bitumen could be transferred by rail as long as Canada invests more in its rail services.
Wow total foolishness for ideological purity. Move it by rail......
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:04 AM   #2216
CaptainCrunch
Norm!
 
CaptainCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
From the article.

Privately, Liberal government critics suggest there is no way to have Canadaís east coast use Canadian oil without building a new pipeline to get the products there. May does not support a new pipeline anywhere, and argues the raw bitumen could be transferred by rail as long as Canada invests more in its rail services.
Her whole concept is completely stupid, first of all, she's ok with the dirtier option for transport. Second she wants to increase refining, but nobody is going to invest in building a refinery for a country that is threatening to go zero oil in the next 30 years.

As much as May is building some nice momentum, it'll be interesting to see if she goes full crack pot in the next election and ends up exactly where she is now, on the fringes.
__________________
Just when you think you have the answers, I change the questions
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:05 AM   #2217
timun
Backup Goalie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
From the article.

Privately, Liberal government critics suggest there is no way to have Canadaís east coast use Canadian oil without building a new pipeline to get the products there. May does not support a new pipeline anywhere, and argues the raw bitumen could be transferred by rail as long as Canada invests more in its rail services.


Never minding the fact rail carries far higher risk of spills than pipelines do. What a fool. I'm baffled as to why anyone ever votes Green.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:08 AM   #2218
GordonBlue
First Line Centre
 
GordonBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Alberta
Exp:
Default

Wilson-Raybould is running as an independent

gawd I hope she can retain her seat.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:13 AM   #2219
Makarov
Franchise Player
 
Makarov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Moscow
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Oh Stephen, this is no time for reminiscing about the good old days. There's an evil liberal media conspiracy afoot! Somebody call the National Post!
__________________
"Life of Russian hockey veterans is very hard," said Soviet hockey star Sergei Makarov. "Most of them don't have enough to eat these days. These old players are Russian legends."
Makarov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:15 AM   #2220
GordonBlue
First Line Centre
 
GordonBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Alberta
Exp:
Default

stressing her indigenous principles.
also mentioning the environment and working with greens. (i'm assuming the greens won't run anyone against her)

talking a lot about working together and not doing the same style of politics that exists. there has to be a better way.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:07 PM.

Calgary Flames
2019-20




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016