Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-25-2019, 06:47 PM   #2161
iggy_oi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Iggy-Oi you seem to always make this a us againt them argument and its not. I don't like corporations that negotiate in bad faith or promote unfair business practices.

However if you can't see that publishing the faces of people that crossed their picket line as an implied threat. a disgusting practice and something that could lead emotional charged strikers to take action, I don't know what to tell you.
If your position is that posting this video was going to somehow rile up striking workers more than when these people walk or drive past them daily on the picket line I donít know what else to say about that other than I consider it to be a poor position to take. Itís unlikely the intent of that video was to rile up the striking workers, and even more unlikely that it would lead to increasing tensions between the replacement workers and striking workers. Do you really think a striking worker watching that video on the picket line didnít already know those people who were walking past them everyday were replacement workers until they saw their faces on that video? Because thatís what it sounds like your basing your position on.

Quote:
Unifor is not a union in whole, its a political action group that seems to think that its ok to work outside of election laws.
All unions are political organizations to varying degrees. I personally donít agree with everything Unifor does, IMO a union of their membership size should be trying to use their political leverage to work with all parties, but thatís up to their members to decide. If they are violating election laws they should be held accountable, same as anyone else.

Quote:
I'm not going to get into a huge debate about unions with you, its not worth it to be honest.
Very little in my response to you was about Unions, it was mainly about ethics. If you donít want to debate it thatís up to you, but letís not make this into something it isnít.

Quote:
But the bottom line is that video by unifor is disgusting and I'm telling you honestly that if I was in action against anyone and they went to publish my name or my picture on an internet tweet that could lead to danger to my family, yeah, it sounds extreme but I would view that person as a serious threat to me and my family and they would pay for it.
I could never fault a person for protecting themselves or their family. However you going out and assaulting someone doesnít accomplish either. All that does is put you in jail, and I donít see how that helps protect you or your family. As I said earlier, when you justify criminal activity your own ethics come into question, so IMO it would probably be wise to refrain from doing so while criticizing the ethics of others. Youíre better than that.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:21 PM   #2162
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

It never ceases to amaze me how well anti union propaganda has worked. Unions are the middle classes last hope at survival yet people act like they're these insane political organizations that serve some vague special interest. I don't even know how to debate it anymore. It's like standing in front of a tidal wave and being asked to float through it.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:22 PM   #2163
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
It never ceases to amaze me how well anti union propaganda has worked. Unions are the middle classes last hope at survival yet people act like they're these insane political organizations that serve some vague special interest. I don't even know how to debate it anymore. It's like standing in front of a tidal wave and being asked to float through it.
Its their own video. They made it. They released it....

Do you know what Propaganda is?
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2019, 07:24 PM   #2164
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Its their own video. They made it. They released it....

Do you know what Propaganda is?
I'm not talking about the unifor video. More in general.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:25 PM   #2165
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Okay, but then what's the alternative? Where is the checks and balances for the government if it's not going to be the courts?
Could the court let it proceed and evaluate "damages" after? Okay, so the consultation wasn't done properly. End result is likely to be the same anyways, and if it isn't, there's billions of dollars to compensate the losers with.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:28 PM   #2166
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not talking about the unifor video. More in general.
Yes. And? That is still Unifor's video.

Its not 'Anti-Union Propaganda' when the Union is making it.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:43 PM   #2167
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

Strongly disagree.

And as far as political goes, Jerry Dias and Unifor came out against Alberta Oil and the Transmountain pipeline. Cupe came out against the Transmountain pipeline and Oil in general.

So yes both are insane political organizations and they're not the great final savior of the middle class.

Cupe came out in favor of the current murderous regime in Venezuela.

Unions like Unifor and Cupe and AUPE are no different then corporations they are massive money making organizations, political parties that don't run in elections but try to effect them and lobbying groups.

Unions absolutely have their uses protecting the vulnerable. But some unions, and it seems especially ones that are linked to government workers go way beyond that mandate.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:12 PM   #2168
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes. And? That is still Unifor's video.

Its not 'Anti-Union Propaganda' when the Union is making it.
Literally my post had nothing to do with the video or unifor. Not sure how else to say that.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:38 PM   #2169
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Could the court let it proceed and evaluate "damages" after? Okay, so the consultation wasn't done properly. End result is likely to be the same anyways, and if it isn't, there's billions of dollars to compensate the losers with.
No, because that's not how the constitution in its current form works. The only alternative under the current setup is to tell the courts to turn a blind eye to constitutional violations and I seriously doubt most people want to open that can of worms.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:40 PM   #2170
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Heres a better question: We all know its happening but the only person calling them on it is Vivian Krause.

Why?
How is that a better question? If you want to throw out the various institutions and checks on government because of the potential for abuse by dishonest actors, you're going to end up with very few left.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:44 PM   #2171
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
How is that a better question? If you want to throw out the various institutions and checks on government because of the potential for abuse by dishonest actors, you're going to end up with very few left.
Oh. So obvious and rampant abuse is A-Okay. Except when it offends your sensibilities.

You really do draw your line in the sand in an odd place.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:50 PM   #2172
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh. So obvious and rampant abuse is A-Okay. Except when it offends your sensibilities.

You really do draw your line in the sand in an odd place.
I'm not drawing a line in the sand anywhere. Propose a system to me where dishonest actors are prevented and the government is still held in check.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:58 PM   #2173
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Literally my post had nothing to do with the video or unifor. Not sure how else to say that.
Quote:
I'm not drawing a line in the sand anywhere. Propose a system to me where dishonest actors are prevented and the government is still held in check.
Itís like neither of you have ever interacted with the big L.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:14 PM   #2174
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Itís like neither of you have ever interacted with the big L.
Eh, Locke's a good dude.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:21 PM   #2175
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Eh, Locke's a good dude.
No question. But youíd think youíd know better to dig for the type of answer youíre looking for.

We all got our traits.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:07 PM   #2176
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
No question. But youíd think youíd know better to dig for the type of answer youíre looking for.

We all got our traits.
Dude, I still dig at Corsi, knowing full well I'm going to receive a thesis-length response I'll never read. I'm a masochist.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2019, 06:47 AM   #2177
Resolute 14
One of many who is too boring; thinks that there should be rules regarding grammar in custom user titles, and also makes moderators wonder if there is a charachter limit here. I mean come on- you would think that would be a limitation in the software

Exp:

Quote:
So what you are saying then is that you chose to drag your ass across the thread with a non sequitur designed to try and shift the topic away from Unifor posting a video threatening its own members for daring to have an independent thought?

Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 07:39 AM   #2178
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Eh, Locke's a good dude.
Thats a lie and you know it!

You're a good guy too. We're never going to agree politically but I dont consider political agreement a necessity for friendship.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:48 AM   #2179
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You're a good guy too. We're never going to agree politically but I dont consider political agreement a necessity for friendship.
Yeah, let's reserve the animosity for where it belongs....English football.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2019, 07:48 AM   #2180
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Get a room, lovebirds!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote