Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-07-2019, 10:31 AM   #861
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

The difference is that no one, critics included, said AOTC was any good. TLJ actually got good reviews, somehow. There should be some skepticism from Star Wars fans about whether initial reviews are worth getting excited about given how badly the rug was pulled out last go-around. It'll still make boatloads of money - I think Solo took a lot of the hit for them and it's been a while.

I'll wait until I read what people on here thought, probably. Same with Captain Marvel, Glass, Hellboy, and Dark Phoenix - all movies I hope are worth seeing in theatres, but could quite easily be awful. Avengers, JW3 and Spider-Man are pretty much in "you know what you're likely going to get here" territory.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:18 AM   #862
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Penciling in Captain Marvel for 1 billion, may be premature. It may just do Antman type money. Although it seems like the norm now, it's actually unusual for solo superhero flicks to make $1 billion.

Spiderman: Homecoming only did $880 million.

I'd put the high mark for Captain Marvel around $800 million, with the more likely box office in the $700 million range.
Yeah $800M is more likely for sure but I think that the fact that it’s the first Marvel universe movie with a female lead, and the fact that you’ll need to see it in theatres (no chance to watch it at home) prior to Avengers:Endgame will give it a lift.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:24 AM   #863
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I liked this thread more before all the box office talk.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 11:45 AM   #864
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I agree. How much money a movie makes seems like such a flawed metric to determine the quality of a film.

If you go see a movie and it sucks they still keep your money and add it to their Box Office tally.

But at the same time its become abundantly clear that Critic's reviews arent worth all that much either.

Its somewhat interesting that despite the Big Business of Entertainment and Film the 'Movie Critic' is going to become a dying breed simply because they poisoned their own credibility.

If Critics cant be trusted to not be swayed by studios or that someone with a more credible reputation gives reviews on Youtube for free then whats the point of the Professional Movie Critic?

So because of this people grasp at other means of trying to determine the quality of a movie that seems less arbitrary. Albeit, 'Box Office Gross' is an easy one its just as flawed a metric as any other.

Are there advanced Stats to empirically and objectively rate the quality of a film so that I can know whether its statistically good or not regardless of whether it sucks?

We could call it the 'Gulutzan-O'-Meter.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:46 AM   #865
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I agree. I could care less on how much money a movie makes and I never understood why people are so obsessed over it.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 12:44 PM   #866
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's quite a few of those pictured movies that I'm going to see eventually (maybe 3-4 in theatres). I'm eager to see Fox's last kick at the X-Men can with Dark Phoenix and New Mutants. And Captain Marvel and Endgame are theater experiences for me for sure.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:11 PM   #867
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I agree. How much money a movie makes seems like such a flawed metric to determine the quality of a film.

If you go see a movie and it sucks they still keep your money and add it to their Box Office tally.

But at the same time its become abundantly clear that Critic's reviews arent worth all that much either.

Its somewhat interesting that despite the Big Business of Entertainment and Film the 'Movie Critic' is going to become a dying breed simply because they poisoned their own credibility.

If Critics cant be trusted to not be swayed by studios or that someone with a more credible reputation gives reviews on Youtube for free then whats the point of the Professional Movie Critic?

So because of this people grasp at other means of trying to determine the quality of a movie that seems less arbitrary. Albeit, 'Box Office Gross' is an easy one its just as flawed a metric as any other.

Are there advanced Stats to empirically and objectively rate the quality of a film so that I can know whether its statistically good or not regardless of whether it sucks?

We could call it the 'Gulutzan-O'-Meter.'

http://www.cracked.com/pictofacts-12...ly-successful/

There's a whole bunch of movies on that list that most people found poor, yet made tons of money, especially in China.

Plus, there's a lot of movies that don't do well at the box office but find love afterward because they are legitimately good movies.

The only reason I pay attention to box office is to see how busy the theater is likely to be.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:20 PM   #868
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
http://www.cracked.com/pictofacts-12...ly-successful/

There's a whole bunch of movies on that list that most people found poor, yet made tons of money, especially in China.

Plus, there's a lot of movies that don't do well at the box office but find love afterward because they are legitimately good movies.

The only reason I pay attention to box office is to see how busy the theater is likely to be.
Spiderman 3. Widely recognized as one of the worst comicbook movies ever.

Thats my kind of list.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:22 PM   #869
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I do hope Marvel re casts/re boots X Men when the franchise is acquired. I think the first class cast had some good chemistry/momentum early on, but it wasn't sustainable.

It would be a good time to give people a new take on Wolverine as well, if anyone can pull that off its Marvel.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:25 PM   #870
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think anyone here has once equated box office gross to quality of movie. It's just a fun thing to talk about -- people like seeing things they like be successful.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:28 PM   #871
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brief look at the new Watchmen show on HBO as well as some other show Game of Thrones.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1082098509883555840

My 5 most anticipated movies of 2019 are: Joker, End-Game, SHAZAM, Spider-Man Far from Home and IT Chapter 2 with HM to Godzilla and Lion King

I keep bringing up Aquaman's box office success because:

1) It seems crazy and impossible to me that it's going to make $1 billion +
2) After the bomb that was JL, I'm sure WB was nervous about continuing with the DCEU. There's a reason why Birds of Prey and Flash filming was both pushed back. Now that Aquaman has succeeded, I'm confident we will get both films.
3) Ya'll thought I was crazy when I said this movie would be a hit. I didn't think this big but still.

Perhaps we should start a new box office thread?

Last edited by Nadal Fan; 01-07-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 08:51 PM   #872
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
I can see in 20 years we will look back at this trilogy as being actually really good. Much like the prequels which at the time people hated, are now seen as being actually not that bad.
They are still bad.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:23 PM   #873
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Nothing spoilerific I don't think.

The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 10:39 PM   #874
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
I can see in 20 years we will look back at this trilogy as being actually really good. Much like the prequels which at the time people hated, are now seen as being actually not that bad. I know I will get some flack for this, but I actually really like Revenge of the Sith, think it's great.

The prequels have their issues, but at least they told an interesting story. Can't say the same about episode 7/8 so far. With the way they set it up, I don't really know if episode 9 can change that without being 4 hours long.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2019, 03:08 AM   #875
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope it's a glorious 4 hour long star wars crazy extravaganza to end the Skywalker saga properly. Gotta be done. I mean the legacy has been tarnished to a dull roar through 1 and 2/3rd trilogies but they can redeem it all with one big final mega movie.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:58 AM   #876
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

They should just start the movie with a opening crawl of .. FORGET WHAT HAPPENED IN EPISODE 8, THIS MOVIE IS 4 HOURS LONG AND WE ARE JUST GOING TO RE DO 8. SO WE'RE STARTING AT THE END OF EPISODE 7... AND GO!!
Old 01-08-2019, 07:49 AM   #877
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I do hope Marvel re casts/re boots X Men when the franchise is acquired. I think the first class cast had some good chemistry/momentum early on, but it wasn't sustainable.

It would be a good time to give people a new take on Wolverine as well, if anyone can pull that off its Marvel.
I hope they keep the X-men universe separate from the MCU universe. The best X-men plots all involve the oppression and extermination ofitants and it doesn’t seem to fit with the Avengers world.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:24 AM   #878
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I think post Endgame the injection of Mutants, Fantastic Four, etc.. into the MCU is exactly what they need to keep things fresh and exciting.

They can absolutely keep the mutant story lines separate from the Avengers but still have crossovers.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:07 AM   #879
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some cool animated films are coming from DC in the future. Batman Long Halloween will be a 2 part movie similar to The Dark Knight Returns animated movie and Superman: Red Son will also be given an animated movie. Superman Red Son is an else worlds story where Superman lands in Moscow instead of Kansas, it's a great book!
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:25 AM   #880
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah it's weird why people care about the box office unless you have major shares in Disney or Time Warner.