Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2013, 10:34 PM   #1
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Halifax for 3 days - what to do?

I am going to be in Halifax for 2 nights and 3 days and am wondering what the must see attractions are and if there are any iconic Halifax restaurants or pubs worth going to. It's a work trip, but I won't actually be very busy.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #2
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Proceed to jay-walk and watch all the cars stop for you. Truly amazing.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:40 PM   #3
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heh, OK. I will give it a shot.

Also, I figure it is a waste to go there and not get some kind of sea food. Where's the best clam chowder in Halifax?
Old 08-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #4
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
Proceed to jay-walk and watch all the cars stop for you. Truly amazing.
That's one of the first things I noticed after moving to Alberta!

I'd rent a car and drive around.

http://www.novascotia.com/en/home/ou...s/default.aspx
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2013, 10:46 PM   #5
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Heh, OK. I will give it a shot.

Also, I figure it is a waste to go there and not get some kind of sea food. Where's the best clam chowder in Halifax?
Salty's and have a lobster roll too
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2013, 11:04 PM   #6
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maritime Museum of the Atlantic is worth your time.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2013, 06:02 AM   #7
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Check out the Citadel as well. It's been years since I went I to the fortress there but I recall it being cool.

As noted above the Maritime Museum of try Atlantic.

If you're there on a weekend the Farmers Market on the waterfront is pretty neat.

Halifax Public Gardens are pretty, not huge but nice.

In terms of eating Your Father's Moustache is my favourite pub food. It's not greasy like typical pub food and the waitresses are super hot (not to mention really good at their jobs, service there is top notch). This is located on Spring Garden Road, sit on the patio!

Chives consistently has the best ranked chef in the city. The chefs/owners also opened a more lunch style resturant two doors down called "Two Doors Down" both are on Barrington Street.

The patios on Argyle are awesome (there is construction across the street of the new convention centre but don't let that deter you.

If you're venturing outside the downtown core (or the penninsula as the locals will call it) Kartbaun in Baters Lake is a lot of fun. Golfing at Glen Arbour is from what I'm told the best place to enjoy 18 holes.

Take a harbour cruise. They're relaxing and you see the city from a whole new perspective. There are tons in the boardwalk from the Harbour Hopper which tours the downtown in their weird boat on wheels and then "hops" into the harbour and tours from the water; to a Theadore Tugboat replica that gives a tour. If money and time is tight just cross on the Dartmouth ferry and back.

There are several brewery tours available (Alexander Keith's, Garrison, Propeller).

What are you looking to do, and when will you be there?

Lastly, wings at Oasis are good, when I go I order them with HalifaxDrunk so is recommend eating them like that.

Feel free to send me a PM. I lived in Halifax for a few years and still visit several times a year.

If you're going Labour Day weekend you're welcome to join my bachelor party

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2013, 07:16 AM   #8
Guest1

If you're there Aug 23-25 go check out Surf Lifesaving Nationals! I wish I could be there!

http://www.lifesavingsport.ca/en/2013CSLC
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #9
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

you can surf at Lawrencetown beach. Keep an eye out for my gopro that I lost in June.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2013, 09:05 AM   #10
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Citadel is cool.

If you have time def. take a drive around. Nova Scotia has a tonne of history, Annapolis Royal is one of the oldest, if of oldest settlements in Canada. It might be too much of a stretch for you time. Maybe you can tack a few days on to the trip. Nova Scotia is not a place that should be rushed, IMO.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2013, 09:31 AM   #11
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
In terms of eating Your Father's Moustache is my favourite pub food. It's not greasy like typical pub food and the waitresses are super hot (not to mention really good at their jobs, service there is top notch). This is located on Spring Garden Road, sit on the patio!

There are several brewery tours available (Alexander Keith's, Garrison, Propeller).

Lastly, wings at Oasis are good, when I go I order them with HalifaxDrunk so is recommend eating them like that.

You have no idea how happy it made me to read that YFM and the Oasis are still around! I left Halifax in '02 and those were favourite hangouts.

Since you mentioned beer tours, I have to shout out for the Granite Brewery, too. I know it's moved from its old location, but Peculiar Ale is to die for.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2013, 10:15 AM   #12
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Peggy's Cove is overrated but it's iconic and worth a stop on your way to Lunenberg. If you're lucky the Bluenose will be there and you may be able to score a ride. The waterfront in Halifax is really nice, with a great walk and some seafood restaurants.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #13
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I am going to be there from tomorrow until Friday. I am definitely going to put the Maritime Museum and Citadel on my schedule.

Plus food... and beer.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #14
Plett25
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The Midtown Tavern was my favorite dive in Halifax. It was awesome... in the middle of an old historic town was the Midtown, full of faux wood grain formica and cheap fake stonework right out of the 1960's. It has moved, and has probably lost a lot of the "charm" but for me it was the most authentic Halifax pub. The Triangle is pretty good, it's in an old historic building and the food is pretty good, and there's live music, but the Midtown was tops for me and it was the best place in Halifax for a Keith's and some deep fried pepperoni.

And forget a harbour cruise, just take the ferry somewhere. Go to Dartmouth/Alderney Landing and walk around the old part of Dartmouth, even just for the view of Halifax from across the Harbour. Or better yet, take the ferry to Woodside and go to John's Lunch. It's a little diner/fish and chips joint. It is a little bit of a dive like the Midtown used to be, but I love it anyway.
Plett25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Plett25 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #15
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Food:

Salty's - best seafood. More on the expensive side, but worth it. If you can get a window table upstairs at at sunset, the view is pretty great.

The Bicycle Theif - New, trendy spot with awesome food.

Press Gang - Oysters! Amazing oysters and very good seafood overall. Also on the pricey side.

Midtown Tavern - Old hole in the wall. Awesome pub grub.

Beer:

Breweries- The Keiths brewery is a little overrated. Go do the Propeller brewery instead.

The Halifax Ale House and the Lower Deck are fun places to take out-of-towners. Good spots to have some beers and listen to some east coast music.

Economy Shoe Shop is my favorite bar in town now that the Pogue shut down. Really chill bar with a great atmosphere. Best bar for a date.

The Split Crow and The Old Triangle are both great pubs.

As for clubs, there's the Dome....which is a total meat market. Pacifico is a pretty nice club, with a little older clientelle.
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to East Coast Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #16
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Lots of good ideas on here.

I would walk along the waterfront, take the ferry to Dartmouth and back to Halifax. It's a good way to see the city from the water. Go to Citadel Hill, Maritime Museum of the Atlantic and Pier 21. If you like pizza I've heard a lot of good things about Piatto Pizzeria (http://www.piattopizzeria.com/).

Peggy's Cove is worth checking out but at this time of year there will be a lot of other people doing the same. There's a memorial out near there on Peggy's Cove Rd. for Swiss Air Flight 111 if you're into that sort of stuff.

I was driving down the south shore last weekend and saw on the highway sign that the Bluenose II is still in Lunenburg.
http://www.novascotiawebcams.com/sou...uenose-ii.html

Some other good webcams...
http://www.novascotiawebcams.com/hal...ble-wharf.html

If you're heading down to Lunenburg I always like to stop into Mahone Bay along the way. It's a pretty little town. The Biscuit Eater is a good place to eat in Mahone Bay.

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shane_c For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #17
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Been there many times in the past year and all of the good options are covered in this thread.

I'll add one that nobody ever thinks of - The Atlantic Canada Aviation Museum.

It is across the highway from the Airport and WELL worth the visit. Admission is a donation and you can spend a couple hours looking at the aircraft and misc. Leave longer if you're one of those people who has to read absolutely everything......

I still get a kick out of the fact that you can touch a used tire from a shuttle mission, autographed by our very own Cmdr Chris Hadfield. Aviation/Space Nerd Heaven.

WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:09 PM   #18
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Nova Scotia is not a place that should be rushed, IMO.
LOL.....Lord knows Nova Scotians aren't in a rush!

Patience and a relaxed attitude will greatly improve the experience.

WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #19
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Peggy's Cove is overrated but it's iconic and worth a stop.
Especially once I got engaged there .

As a side note, not sure if its still around, but around near there there was a great little coffee roasting shop that made made coffee beans for coffee that was to die for...but then they did something (changed the roasting process or ingredients or something), and it was not nearly as good. Acadian Maple I think it was? Yup this place - http://www.acadianmaple.com/ . The coffee I think is this one, but haven't tried it in a bit: http://www.acadianmaple.com/products...aple-340g-12oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_c View Post
If you're heading down to Lunenburg I always like to stop into Mahone Bay along the way. It's a pretty little town. The Biscuit Eater is a good place to eat in Mahone Bay.
Mahone Bay is great; very picturesque place to enjoy a leisurely walk around. Wolfville (Acadia University) is also not bad.

As for pubs, is Maxwell Plum's still around? I loved that place and their little 6-taste tubs of beer testing, and that gigantic keep the beer cold contraption thing.

For food, Jane's on the Common was pretty good, although expensive.

Last edited by RedHot25; 08-06-2013 at 06:21 PM.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #20
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you like old things and history definitely check out the Citadel. Also, I remember there being a very old cemetery going back to the first days of the settlement.

I think it's this one: http://oldburyingground.ca. Call me odd but I like walking through old cemeteries.
BloodFetish is online now   Reply With Quote