Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2024, 09:09 PM   #41
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, it's why Edmonton can't win a cup with McDrai. Too much of a dog and pony show.
Old 02-14-2024, 09:11 PM   #42
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Am I the only one that thinks the dressing room vibes are entirely overrated?

I believe that locker room cohesion has almost zero impact on wins and losses.

It seems to me that locker room issues are only ever talked about when teams aren't successful, and they just give the media and fans something to gossip about to distract themselves from the lack of success on the ice.

Case in point, Vancouver. Last couple of years all we heard about was how the dressing room was poisoned. Now they are on a great run, and we aren't hearing a peep.

Seems like the only reason locker room issues get brought up is because some people mistakenly believe that the locker room vibes have a tangible impact on the on ice product, and so the problems get aired when things aren't rolling.
I'm not sure they're entirely overrated, but there's no evidence to suggest that they matter or don't. Hockey players will just lie when asked about almost anything, so it's impossible to know. Out of 32 teams in the league right now, I'd bet 32 would vote that they have great chemistry.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 09:34 PM   #43
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It seems to me that locker room issues are only ever talked about when teams aren't successful, and they just give the media and fans something to gossip about to distract themselves from the lack of success on the ice.

Case in point, Vancouver. Last couple of years all we heard about was how the dressing room was poisoned. Now they are on a great run, and we aren't hearing a peep.

Seems like the only reason locker room issues get brought up is because some people mistakenly believe that the locker room vibes have a tangible impact on the on ice product, and so the problems get aired when things aren't rolling.
Is it because in Edmonton locker room issues are needed in order to get wins?
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 10:20 PM   #44
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Yes. I think you might be.

Its like...if you went to work every day, cheek and jowl, but theres just a few guys that you just hate.

Are you going to go to War for those guys? Or let them flounder?

I've played with guys I've hated. It. Sucks.
Sometimes the guys that are pricks are the most skilled, knowledgeable, or hard working and while they make the atmosphere less enjoyable, they make the work easier because they are really good at their jobs.

Working with someone that has a great personality but is constantly making mistakes that create more work for everyone else can start to wear thin as well.

In a results based business you probably just want to have the best performers regardless of your personal feelings towards them.

Skill being equal you are going to take the guy that is easy to get along with of course. That is probably why we always hear about the backup goalie, or the 13th forward being great in the room.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2024, 10:31 PM   #45
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Chemistry plays a big part in team success from my experience
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 11:15 PM   #46
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
I'm not sure they're entirely overrated, but there's no evidence to suggest that they matter or don't. Hockey players will just lie when asked about almost anything, so it's impossible to know. Out of 32 teams in the league right now, I'd bet 32 would vote that they have great chemistry.
You’re not wrong. Extremely rare that a player talks about poor chemistry (like Doughty this year) and 99/100 players will say how good the room is on their team.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 12:23 AM   #47
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
You’re not wrong. Extremely rare that a player talks about poor chemistry (like Doughty this year) and 99/100 players will say how good the room is on their team.
Yes, players will always say the chemistry is great, because the alternative causes a ####show.

But regardless of the fact that they say that, it still matters.

Also,.it's hilarious that an Oiler fan thinks it's irrelevant
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 12:31 AM   #48
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zadorov wanted to be extended, as did Toffoli. Toffoli though knew Sutter was gone. His buddy Lucic was gone, so Toffoli got out ASAP,

Zadorov was waiting it out a bit as he liked it here, but then when Edwards pulled all extension talk at the Winter Classic, he was left in no man's land.

I do think the comments from Coleman were mainly directed at Lindholm. He moped around at the end of last year, lamenting his poor year because he didn't have the linemates he had the year before.

Backlund moped too and gave non committal answers, and he only returned late in the summer because they relented and gave him the C for a couple years, a move that Sutter didn't want to do...which lead to ....the room divided last year to be sure. Sutter vs Anti Sutter, with many in the middle. Didn't sound like many of the Swedes liked him.

Coleman and Tanev IMO are the defacto leaders of the current team, if I had to guess.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 12:41 AM   #49
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no issue with Coleman saying these things, but I also don't hold anything against Lindholm. Sometimes things change and you just need to move on. I don't think he was purposely trying to mail it in. I just think his heart wasn't in it any more and it was time to move on. It happens in a lot of work places in general. I remember when I worked for a company where a few of my coworkers moved on and new personalities moved in, and it just wasn't the same anymore. It's a crappy feeling when you invest years of your life into a workplace and suddenly find yourself as the odd one out almost overnight. If Lindholm couldn't jive with the new guys or was bitter, that's life. Some people deal with change easier than others, and some people need to just start fresh somewhere else. I can't explain why it's easier that way for some people, but I get it.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 02-15-2024 at 12:46 AM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 01:00 AM   #50
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I have no issue with Coleman saying these things, but I also don't hold anything against Lindholm. Sometimes things change and you just need to move on. I don't think he was purposely trying to mail it in. I just think his heart wasn't in it any more and it was time to move on. It happens in a lot of work places in general. I remember when I worked for a company where a few of my coworkers moved on and new personalities moved in, and it just wasn't the same anymore. It's a crappy feeling when you invest years of your life into a workplace and suddenly find yourself as the odd one out almost overnight. If Lindholm couldn't jive with the new guys or was bitter, that's life. Some people deal with change easier than others, and some people need to just start fresh somewhere else. I can't explain why it's easier that way for some people, but I get it.
That's fine. I think the issue that Coleman relates to is that Lindholm didn't seem to want to come back at the end of last year, like others, as mentioned, and as the summer wore on, didn't really warm up any further to the idea of being here...therefore probably should've said that straight out at some point in the offseason and both parties could move on.

Instead, the situation or feelings hadnt changed, but then it dragged into the regular season, and his feelings now were a varying level of distraction for everyone, not just Lindholm.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 01:33 AM   #51
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Zadorov wanted to be extended, as did Toffoli. Toffoli though knew Sutter was gone. His buddy Lucic was gone, so Toffoli got out ASAP,

Zadorov was waiting it out a bit as he liked it here, but then when Edwards pulled all extension talk at the Winter Classic, he was left in no man's land.

I do think the comments from Coleman were mainly directed at Lindholm. He moped around at the end of last year, lamenting his poor year because he didn't have the linemates he had the year before.

Backlund moped too and gave non committal answers, and he only returned late in the summer because they relented and gave him the C for a couple years, a move that Sutter didn't want to do...which lead to ....the room divided last year to be sure. Sutter vs Anti Sutter, with many in the middle. Didn't sound like many of the Swedes liked him.

Coleman and Tanev IMO are the defacto leaders of the current team, if I had to guess.

Sutter’s ‘nobody is good enough to be C’ was nonsense, to be quite honest

Poor leadership and power play
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 01:36 AM   #52
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post

I agree with most of this, but I do think that Backlund is still the defacto leader. I have heard a lot of players speak about Backlund, and it is always glowingly. He did hesitate to re-sign, and he did talk about this in the media. However, he was always clear with his messaging: "I am getting older and I just want a chance to win the cup. I prefer doing that here, but it may come down to doing it somewhere else." That's ok with me. He didn't pout like Lindholm. I never once saw Lindholm address the media in a way that made me think that he wants to remain a Flame. He seemed like he legitimately wanted out. Backlund signed what a lot of people thought was a very low-risk, team friendly deal to stay here.

Also, Backlund didn't re-sign just because of being given the captaincy - he also re-signed because things seemed more 'fun', plus he spoke with former players, and with Conroy, and having a legacy on the Flames is a 'guarantee', and if you chase a cup, there are no guarantees. That legacy aspect was very important to him. He can chase the puck in his last season if he wants. Maybe by then, the Flames will be making some noise themselves.

I would think Backlund remains captain. At the start of the season, it was Huberdeau, Tanev, Lindholm and Andersson as the 'A's. Coleman should get Lindholm's, and Weegar gets Tanev's? That sounds about right to me.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2024, 01:43 AM   #53
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
I think Lindholms mopping around was impacting the team and his linemates.

Just look at the smiles when they rolled into Boston after the all-star break. Huberdeau was glowing.
Old 02-15-2024, 03:27 AM   #54
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It is and it isn't.

It can be a used as a crutch for some teams (easy out/excuse when things aren't good), and could be a problem for others. But to pretend that it's a made up thing in general I think would be foolish.

Where it's actually an issue you probably don't hear about it as loudly as last years Canucks where it appeared they were leaning into the narrative. I feel bad most for Boudreau in that case because he took the brunt of it. Maybe the guys should have shut up for his sake.

That the Flames only really admitted there were problems after guys were dealt away is pretty telling and probably says that yeah, some things were weighing on the group. That and the fact that the atmosphere and on ice morale appear to be way higher.

I don't know if its good to strive to have the d###s in prominent positions but good for Edmonton for making it work regardless of the team being littered with a few guys that don't have reputations of being upstanding dudes, at least in the past. I don't know how they've got them all to pull in the same direction as well as they have, but they have.

I wouldn't want to be the person mediating if/when internal issues crop up with the personalities in there. Good thing it appears like they get along well enough.

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 02-15-2024 at 03:56 AM.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 04:07 AM   #55
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
While gossip is entertaining and I appreciate it for board fodder, am I the only one who thinks it’s pretty ####ty of Coleman today this? These guys weren’t the devil by account previous to this. Who cares if they wanted out? Is that always a bad thing? Do you care if your coworker wants to go to a new company or position? I don’t. Hockey’s a funny sport where they need bullpen board bs to motivate them. Just play instead of throwing former teammates under the bus.
You've never gossiping about a co worker? I call bull####
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 04:16 AM   #56
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
Are you kidding? Coleman, a player on the team, heavily alluded to this being the case. Is it not fair to speculate on who might be the player he's talking about? A hockey player making millions of dollars to play a kid's game shouldn't be sulking and underperforming all year long if he doesn't want to have criticisms for his play.
I ####ing loathe the term " playing a kids game" . As an excuse kids play all sorts of games dirt biking, go carting ( turns in to various race sports as an adult) baking ,cooking construction etc etc.

We never look at a professionial architecture and go " he's cute drawing like a kid back in the day" or " How cute that bank teller is counting out bills like he did to his mommy and daddy "

Kids play doctor all the time but we don't belittle that profession because kids do it.

It's a skill the few can do like any other industry..

Just need to get that out. I just hate the quallifier. I'm not a fan of what they make either but let's not pretend there is no skill set that is elite needed
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2024, 04:45 AM   #57
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If anyone has ever worked in a toxic environment you kinda get what Coleman is saying.

If you feel like your colleagues want to be elsewhere/hate thier job and they aren't pulling thier weight when you are it can get frustrating.

Hockey is an emotional sport, you want to know that your teammates are involved and have your back. I have no problem with that quote.
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 06:28 AM   #58
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Most people can probably empathise with the situation, but that doesn't mean Coleman needs to come out and say it.
Old 02-15-2024, 06:46 AM   #59
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
You've never gossiping about a co worker? I call bull####

What are you talking about?
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 06:49 AM   #60
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would be nice if they could get the trades over with asap so the remaining players and fans could get on with things.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote