Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2024, 09:05 PM   #41
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Time to freeze those trade assets in Carbonite. Tanev with yet another scare today. Teams know what they're getting by now.

I'd like to keep adding Mangiapane to trade scenarios. I don't think he's a Flames much longer either.
Cant imagine Mangiapane getting any interest until next season when we can retain 50% at the 2025 TDL. Just keep playing him with Backs and Coleman.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 09:13 PM   #42
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Can't be too mad about that one. They battled and the goalies did their thing tonight.

Zary was just excellent and Kylington came so close to making a huge play to tie the game.

On the other hand, I thought the Sharangovich line was pretty bad tonight. They didn't create nearly as much as they had been and Sharangovich really seemed to be running around in the D zone. The Rangers deserve some credit since they are so adept at moving the puck from side to side on the ice to create chances, but it is a little bit concerning since that line does seem vulnerable to being pinned in the zone.

Markstrom was awesome again. Too bad on the goal against. I can see why he's frustrated, but the Flames can't let a guy have a chance to dig like that on a rebound.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 09:21 PM   #43
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by traptor View Post
He drives me crazy and I disagree with almost all his opinions but I almost don't mind it?
Having an eternal optimist heel is an interesting spin and keeps it from being a stale echo chamber.

Having strong opinions, as long as they're somewhat rational, can help keep it fresh.

It was hilarious, and almost unbearable, when Nault was on their too. Nault and Wills engagements got really awkward sometimes.
Steinberg is the voice of reason, Wills the holier then tho eternal optimist and Nault the aggro antagonist.
I'm not sure it's interesting and is helping fend off staleness when the takes are that monotonous and predictable.

I don't mind the PBP at all though. I know Willsy took exception to a take of mine here, and he should know he's earned the role of announcer and does it reasonably well imo. But I don't have to pretend to enjoy the discussion outside of the game calls.

Nault was.. oof. Not sure his takes were so negative to be considered Wills' polar opposite, I think half of it was that he sounded like a Debbie Downer, so even if he had an impartial or neutral take it sounded negative.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 09:23 PM   #44
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

For those that watched the game, how were our top 2 lines? Especially Huberdeau - Sharangovich - Kuzmenko ?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 09:43 PM   #45
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
For those that watched the game, how were our top 2 lines? Especially Huberdeau - Sharangovich - Kuzmenko ?
That line was fine, had a few good chances. The Kadri line had great chances as well, but also got hemmed in their own zone a lot. Backlund line was OK except Coleman had some unusually bad giveaways. 4th line tried hard, couldn’t get much done and was thrown into disarray without Pelts.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 09:57 PM   #46
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Pelletier getting taken out early kinda put me in a bad mood for the rest of the night, so I didn't enjoy the game as much as I probably would have otherwise. I like tight games though, plus a good goalie battle
What happened to Pelletier? Guessing Trouba smoked him?
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 10:23 PM   #47
Cycling76er
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Precisely what happened.
Cycling76er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 10:40 PM   #48
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sharangovich line had a very rough night. Their advanced stats weren’t good, xGF in the 20’s and 30’s for all three and I think they maybe had 3 shots between them. So their first rough game, it had to happen.

It’s interesting though to think about “top two” lines. Sharangovich and Kuzmenko were 8th and 9th for forwards in ice time at even strength. Huberdeau played quite a bit more as he got several extra shifts with Pelletier out. And his stats were better when away from those two. That will be something to watch.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 10:56 PM   #49
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought trouba was suspended lol or that's what I'd read. sucks to see him in the game and doing damage. Wanted gilbert to tag in for a minute or two in this game
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 11:19 PM   #50
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Sharangovich line had a very rough night. Their advanced stats weren’t good, xGF in the 20’s and 30’s for all three and I think they maybe had 3 shots between them. So their first rough game, it had to happen.
In fairness, the team as a whole had xGF% below 40, and the Backlund line was just as bad as the Sharangovich line.

It wasn't so much that one line was bad. The Rangers just did a really good job of shutting down the Flames across the board. They're now five games into a winning streak in which they've also beaten Colorado and Tampa, they're third overall in the standings, and they had a Vezina winner in net.

It's not like the Flames got shut out by a team of scrubs.
Old 02-12-2024, 11:44 PM   #51
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Zary was the best forward on the ice all night. Even with a blue line rookie mistake.
Old 02-12-2024, 11:45 PM   #52
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
It was a bit of a suicide pass by Kylington though. Not villifying shilly but it was an outlet pass too the blue line that pelts had to turn his back to trouba to get.
Old 02-13-2024, 01:06 AM   #53
MolsonInBothHands
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
Fun game. Sell the UFAs and keep rolling.
Have you ever been asked to put up those election campaign picket signs? You would be a natural!
Old 02-13-2024, 03:03 AM   #54
Britflamesfan
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Just have to get a move on with the trades, we cannot afford to lose any of those players to an injury. We very nearly lost a key piece tonight.
Britflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Britflamesfan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2024, 03:41 AM   #55
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

True. My heart sank when I saw Tanev crash in to the post.
Barnet Flame is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2024, 03:59 AM   #56
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Trouba is probably my least favorite player in the league. Such a scumbag
Old 02-13-2024, 07:53 AM   #57
BigFlameDog
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah, I don't like Trouba at all and think he is a predator, that said...you need to know when he is on the ice and stay out of the tracks.
Old 02-13-2024, 07:57 AM   #58
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
Trouba is probably my least favorite player in the league. Such a scumbag
There was discussion in the pre-game thread that he may or may not play and someone made a comment about always being worried a Flame may get hurt when they play against him. It didn't take even take long for that to play out.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 08:06 AM   #59
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

This is hockey, Trouba made a hockey hit. Not sure what's to be mad about. Pelletier needs to play with more awareness out there.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2024, 08:23 AM   #60
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
This is hockey, Trouba made a hockey hit. Not sure what's to be mad about. Pelletier needs to play with more awareness out there.
Yeah, as much as I have become uneasy about dangerous hits, Trouba's was totally within the rules of the game. Eliminating those sorts of hits is a tall order, and it would probably require a radical revision of the rulebook that most fans would not be happy about.

Do we know whether Pelletier injured the same shoulder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote