Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2018, 09:06 PM   #2301
FlameyMcFlameFace
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarybornnraised View Post
Why didn't he behave like a "Man" and go back into the hotel room, lock the door and call security or the police?
He probably would have if the N word wasn't involved?

Thats a hate crime, plain and simple. One cannot just ignore being called that. At that point its not about being the bigger man. The word itself carries so much emotion and merit. Its almost ignorance to suggest for him to ignore it.
FlameyMcFlameFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:17 PM   #2302
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

This is just odd. On the field the Chiefs definitely get a lot weaker.

Maybe it's them trying to save face after the fact. Maybe he did lie to the team and that's why he's being cut. You probably dont look too hard when its that calibre of player involved when you are a NFL team. Have to imagine he'll be back elsewhere. Too young and talented not to.

Two wrongs don't make a right though. As was said above call security. It's a bad situation to get in.

Disappointing news though.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 11-30-2018 at 09:19 PM.
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:57 PM   #2303
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameyMcFlameFace View Post

Thats a hate crime, plain and simple. One cannot just ignore being called that. At that point its not about being the bigger man. The word itself carries so much emotion and merit. Its almost ignorance to suggest for him to ignore it.
Good lord give me a break. He’s a grown ass man. If he becomes a violent psychopath from being discriminated against then he’s a psychopath and a piece of ####.

Attacking and beating up people is not ok just because they said offensive things.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2018, 10:08 PM   #2304
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:36 PM   #2305
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:

And guess what you do when a crime is committed?

You go inside and call the police.

Words are not physical threats.

He needed to just go back inside his apartment, lock the door and call the authorities.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:10 PM   #2306
FlameyMcFlameFace
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
And guess what you do when a crime is committed?

You go inside and call the police.

Words are not physical threats.

He needed to just go back inside his apartment, lock the door and call the authorities.
Words are not physical threats, you're right. However the N word is not just a word to those who the word is used against. It cuts deeper than even a physical threat.

So no, its not just easy to get inside your apartment, close the door, and imagine nothing happened when the word itself stings deeper than much of the people on this boards understanding. Understand the pain the word evokes and then you can try to understand his point of view.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:37 AM   #2307
jroc
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Words are not physical threats, you're right. However the N word is not just a word to those who the word is used against. It cuts deeper than even a physical threat.

So no, its not just easy to get inside your apartment, close the door, and imagine nothing happened when the word itself stings deeper than much of the people on this boards understanding. Understand the pain the word evokes and then you can try to understand his point of view.
I get what you're saying, but.... you just don't hit chicks, man...
jroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 03:16 AM   #2308
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hunt is a 215 lbs heavy athlete. Even if he were verbally abused, you simply don't hit/tackle/kick women. Why are we even debating this?
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2018, 08:50 AM   #2309
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

If she was calling him a ###### constanley, and verbally abusing him with racist words, then on one hand I'm glad he knocked her around. Just because she's a woman doesn't make it easier to handle those painful words, and the hostility and difficulty black people have to deal with in that country; especially of late, it's nice to see some fight back.

But at the same time, she's a woman, and optically it looks bad because of physical disadvantage, hence the double standard. While it may have felt worth it to knock her around at that moment, it wasn't the right move to make overall. He needs to call security/police, and keep his distance away from her. He need to conduct himself to a higher standard in that scenario since he's a professional representing a league that has to handle incidents like these very seriously; so he's even more under the microscope than he would've been if he was just another random black person. This incident happened in February, and it's just now that the video is being released.

I feel though that if Hunt was upfront with the Chiefs about this before the video was released though, then at most he would've been suspended for PR purposes. But to outright cut him, has to mean something else is at play here. This is the NFL; you just don't cut one of your best players despite trouble with the law. Especially since he wasn't charged by the police, so he wasn't under any legal trouble.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:27 AM   #2310
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

To me, what he did was stupid. excessive and gross. He had options and when you're a athlete making millions and in the public spotlight or just a dude, you don't have the right to physically assault anyone unless your life is in danger.

If someone calls me anywhere and I beat him or her down, and then administer extra punishment a judge isn't going to care about someone saying bad words to me my life wasn't in danger, I had the option of going back to my room and calling security or the cops, I'm going to jail period, what he did is not justifiable in my mind no matter what. The extra shot to her when she was down could have gone far worse for him considering he's a 200 pound plus pro athlete.

With pro sports having to deal with its own public image having a guy that on camera is laying down a beating on a woman, and then after she is effectively neutralized and zero threat administers another shot is a huge problem.

She's a piece of shyte if the allegations of what she said are true, and he's a person clearly out of control who broke the law. He basically battered a woman. But let me be clear at this point it doesn't matter if it was a woman or a guy. Saying mean and stupid things to someone doesn't justify a over the top beating.

Also he wasn't upfront with his own team. If I did something like this and lied to my employer, I'm fricken fired.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2018, 10:40 AM   #2311
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty disappoint there CP posters trying to justify his actions. Just confirms to me that we still have a long ways to go as a society.

Back to the story something still stinks here. Either the Chiefs and the NFL are lying or their competence in thorough investigating is extremely poor and incompetent. Sounds like Hunt said he never did anything and that was good enough for them. The fact that it takes TMZ to bring this to light is a black eye to a league that should know better after the Rice incident.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:54 AM   #2312
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Pretty disappoint there CP posters trying to justify his actions. Just confirms to me that we still have a long ways to go as a society.

Back to the story something still stinks here. Either the Chiefs and the NFL are lying or their competence in thorough investigating is extremely poor and incompetent. Sounds like Hunt said he never did anything and that was good enough for them. The fact that it takes TMZ to bring this to light is a black eye to a league that should know better after the Rice incident.
Well the league is saying that they tried to obtain the security video when this all happened but were denied by the prosecution. I can believe that is true, at least until they decided not to pursue charges.

At that point though, i can't imagine a reason they would not make it available, so the league does have to answer for that part of things...no question.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:42 PM   #2313
FlameyMcFlameFace
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post

I 100% agree the Chiefs and Hunt could have handled this better. It is definitely a black eye to the league especially considering that history. I simply dont understand why Hunt didn't sit down with the Chiefs and league and tell his side of the story? No clue.

But lets talk about how you're saying "justify his actions". By no means is anyone on here justifying the harm he caused to this woman. Its disgusting, a little pushing going on (based on the allegations), fine. However that kick at the end is disturbing.

But you're failing to understand the meaning of the words used against him, want to talk about disgusting, thats absolutely disgusting! You are weighting the physical abuse over the N word. Which is a fair argument, but thats not a fair argument to those its used against. I said it once, and I'll say again. If its a man saying that to Hunt, even a skinny 150lbs pound man, say Johnny hockey (I put my flames plug in here because we are on a flames board lol) Hunt would be praised right now.

So our issue and conversation moves to gender equality. Because I 100% know if thats a man, this is not an issue right now. And you know why, because if its a man suddenly the N word has more weighted value than the physical abuse I talked about above! When its a woman, the physical abuse is weighted higher. So what is it!

2018 in the United States racism is a real problem. It is a very tricky and sticky topic. We are talking about a word that evokes so much emotions. Now add the gender equality movement to the mix. Don't be ignorant in saying we are justifying his actions... thats absolutely ridiculous. But please understand the whole spectrum as this goes much deeper than sports.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:58 PM   #2314
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

i am amazed he was released. usually teams will release marginal talented players and come across as they are doing the right thing because they are so moral. to release a star in his prime is suprising. Kareem, dan snyder on line 1.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:30 PM   #2315
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Well the league is saying that they tried to obtain the security video when this all happened but were denied by the prosecution. I can believe that is true, at least until they decided not to pursue charges.

At that point though, i can't imagine a reason they would not make it available, so the league does have to answer for that part of things...no question.
Police are saying that because it was a misdemeanor they didnt push for the video, they only do so in felonies

Which kind of makes the case for the nfl seeing it a bit more believable
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:29 PM   #2316
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

How does the Police end up not laying charges here. Isn’t that a bigger deal than the NFLs failure?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:34 PM   #2317
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jesus Christ, I have the reputation of being the most bleeding heart progressive on this board and even I'm in awe of the mental gymnastics being used to justify Hunt's actions.

Don't hit chicks. It's that damn simple.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:06 AM   #2318
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
If she was calling him a ###### constanley, and verbally abusing him with racist words, then on one hand I'm glad he knocked her around. Just because she's a woman doesn't make it easier to handle those painful words, and the hostility and difficulty black people have to deal with in that country; especially of late, it's nice to see some fight back.

But at the same time, she's a woman, and optically it looks bad because of physical disadvantage, hence the double standard. While it may have felt worth it to knock her around at that moment, it wasn't the right move to make overall. He needs to call security/police, and keep his distance away from her. He need to conduct himself to a higher standard in that scenario since he's a professional representing a league that has to handle incidents like these very seriously; so he's even more under the microscope than he would've been if he was just another random black person. This incident happened in February, and it's just now that the video is being released.

I feel though that if Hunt was upfront with the Chiefs about this before the video was released though, then at most he would've been suspended for PR purposes. But to outright cut him, has to mean something else is at play here. This is the NFL; you just don't cut one of your best players despite trouble with the law. Especially since he wasn't charged by the police, so he wasn't under any legal trouble.
Dude being happy he knocked around is ####ed up.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:14 AM   #2319
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Jesus Christ, I have the reputation of being the most bleeding heart progressive on this board and even I'm in awe of the mental gymnastics being used to justify Hunt's actions.

Don't hit chicks. It's that damn simple.
Chicks? Progressive.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:43 AM   #2320
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Chicks? Progressive.
Damsels?

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote