Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2018, 01:12 PM   #1501
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
What's particularly sad about Evra's? Two Italian doubles, a CL and Euro final?
Leading a players strike just ahead of the 2010 World Cup, accusing Suarez for racist remarks, refusing to shake hands with Suarez the next time they meet, kicking his own team's fan in the face......
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:08 PM   #1502
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
accusing Suarez for racist remarks, refusing to shake hands with Suarez the next time they meet,
Sweet Jebus! What a comment, You either condone racist behaviour or you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Which one is it? Are you condoning racist behaviour or just clueless as to what you posted

When someone is racially abused and they report it, do you feel that warrants them being ridiculed? Why?

And here's your footage of Evra refusing to shake bitey's hand. Surprise, surprise, another fail.

I'd like answers to those questions please.

Bagor is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2018, 04:16 PM   #1503
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What's particularly sad about Evra's? Two Italian doubles, a CL and Euro final?
nice team accomplishments for sure, but he wasn't an impact player on these teams at all. Time caught up with him.

also lol at the Suarez comments. Remember when the Scousers came up with the ridiculous T-shirts? Good times.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2018, 12:42 AM   #1504
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, never thought I'd see the day where Suarez was thought of as the victim

Wow
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:43 AM   #1505
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
I watched the replay. Spurs got away with murder. I don't care if one team has more possession than the other, -- Liverpool has a right to be mad, over a theft of 2 points. Kane dives. Lamela dives. Alli dives. That's bloody systemic. MP, will fit in well at the Bernabéu.

I can't believe Klopp restrained himself in commenting -- Mourinho would've been sidelined for a few weeks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post
Let me first say that Spurs deserved something from the game, so no arguments with the final score, but holy #### those penalty decisions have made me mad.

"There was contact, so he's entitled to go down there" is the absolute worst phrase to creep into football in the last 10-15 years. Lamela feels contact to the back of his calf, so immediately jumps in the air, lifting both feet off the ground as if that's what actually realistically happens in that situation and somehow the linesman calls it. Kane anticipates potential contact (of which there was none) and dives over. Tim Sherwood calls him "clever". It used to be called cheating but that's when the only players who did it were them dirty foreigners. Of course, England's #1 striker can't possibly be a cheating git.
Quotes from Pochettino.

Quote:
"Football is about trying to trick your opponent."

The Tottenham manager has admitted in the past that during his playing days at Newell's Old Boys and Estudiantes, diving to win a penalty from the referee was regarded as a skill, one even practised in training.

"Football is about trying to trick your opponent - yes or no? Tactics - what does 'tactic' mean? When you do tactics, it is to try to trick the opponent. You play on the right, but you finish on the left. Twenty years ago, thirty years ago, we all congratulated a player when he tricks the referee like this. That is the football that I was in love with when I was a child. Yes, in Argentina, but in England too. You believe that in England you were honest and always perfect?"
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/62826674.cms

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2018, 09:29 AM   #1506
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

Pochettino isn't saying anything new there. You can think that Spurs are the only players that fall when there's contact in the box, but it's just not the case. A guy could sit down and pull dozens of videos of Liverpool players doing the exact same thing. I mean Salah did this last week against West Brom and managed to get the penalty through VAR. To bring this back around to Suarez, how many videos could we find of him simulating?

It's an issue in the sport as a whole and has been for years. We all know that. It's hardly an indictment on Spurs because Pochettino talks about how things used to be.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:03 PM   #1507
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Pochettino isn't saying anything new there.
Lol. Yes he is.

He is glorifying diving and cheating.

He calls it a skill and something that should be congratulated. That it is a positive behaviour.

Who else has said that?

The Following User Says Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2018, 12:07 PM   #1508
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lol. Yes he is.

He is glorifying diving and cheating.

He calls it a skill and something that should be congratulated. That it is a positive behaviour.

Who else has said that?
Here's what I found on the internet.

Wenger
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/...iming-english/

Mourinho
https://www.theguardian.com/football...nchester-derby

Ferguson,
https://www.theguardian.com/football...y-young-diving
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2018, 12:17 PM   #1509
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

You guys are just twisting this, trying to make something out of nothing. The reality is that every team has had their players accused of diving from time to time. You can take this hard stand against it today, but I would be a little more careful because you have to know that the talk on Monday might well be one of your players accused of the same thing.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:17 PM   #1510
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You guys are just twisting this, trying to make something out of nothing. The reality is that every team has had their players accused of diving from time to time. You can take this hard stand against it today, but I would be a little more careful because you have to know that the talk on Monday might well be one of your players accused of the same thing.
Nobody is debating that. That other teams have had divers at given times.

What is being challenged is your assertion that Poch's isn't saying anything new.

And you can bet that if one of Uniteds players are "the talk" on Monday night that "the talk" won't be of how skillful the dive was, how they should be congratulated for it or if they are carded for it how it should be practised more in training.

If that had been a manager of note saying what Poch said you can guarantee the FA would be all over it.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:08 PM   #1511
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nobody is debating that. That other teams have had divers at given times.

What is being challenged is your assertion that Poch's isn't saying anything new.

And you can bet that if one of Uniteds players are "the talk" on Monday night that "the talk" won't be of how skillful the dive was, how they should be congratulated for it or if they are carded for it how it should be practised more in training.

If that had been a manager of note saying what Poch said you can guarantee the FA would be all over it.
Well the FA isn't all over him because that isn't what was said. The very first line was that he thought that Dele deserved the card and there was no discussion. Like it or not, one of the best things about Poch is that he doesn't blame the refs, good or bad. He accepts that they see things and make calls and that is part of the game.

Like I say, you're just twisting the article (which talked about the way things were 15-20 years ago, and when he was a boy), and suggesting that he is teaching players to dive. We all know that isn't the case, but what can I do? Like the old saying goes: I can't reason you out of a position you didn't reason yourself into in the first place.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:07 PM   #1512
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well the FA isn't all over him because that isn't what was said. The very first line was that he thought that Dele deserved the card and there was no discussion. Like it or not, one of the best things about Poch is that he doesn't blame the refs, good or bad. He accepts that they see things and make calls and that is part of the game.

Like I say, you're just twisting the article (which talked about the way things were 15-20 years ago, and when he was a boy), and suggesting that he is teaching players to dive. We all know that isn't the case, but what can I do? Like the old saying goes: I can't reason you out of a position you didn't reason yourself into in the first place.
Duh, Of course he said Dele deserved the card. He got caught cheating. What else can he said. That is not the point being debated.

The point being made Mr Reasonable is that he doesn't see diving as cheating. He calls it trickery. He makes no effort to condemn it. Simply admits that Alli got caught cheating and deserved is card.

The point being made is that he is the first manager to come out and say that he has no issues with diving and sees it nothing more than trickery.

And he doesn't whine about refereess? Really? Go read the match report from this season's first NLD. His whining is the headline.

And the irony ....

Quote:
Like I say, you're just twisting the article (which talked about the way things were 15-20 years ago, and when he was a boy), and suggesting that he is teaching players to dive.
Where? When did I suggest that?

Last edited by Bagor; 02-08-2018 at 03:54 PM. Reason: condemn not condone
Old 02-10-2018, 07:22 AM   #1513
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a miss by Lacazette. But a deserved win for Spurs, that was really one of the only half decent chances for Arsenal. Spurs dominated the midfield all game.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:50 AM   #1514
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

A complete battering. Really Spurs should’ve scored 3-4 more, and that was the only concern. Cech made some unreal saves to keep them in it.

In this really tough string of games we move up to 3rd and 7/9 points.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:43 AM   #1515
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's crazy to think that as amazing as Salah and Kane have been this year, that they have no chance at player of the year because that's where De Bruyne is at this year.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:20 PM   #1516
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aguero's fourth goal was pretty much a flawless strike. Wow was that good.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:41 AM   #1517
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Smalling dives at the halfway line, Newcastle score on the subsequent free kick. Unexpected justice there.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:10 AM   #1518
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Smalling dives at the halfway line, Newcastle score on the subsequent free kick. Unexpected justice there.
Silly United trying to Spurs.

Sorry Smalling, you're no Kane/Alli/Lamela, no free PKs for you. You should at least dive in the box. That would be a good start.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:12 AM   #1519
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

fully deserved this one. Missed numerous sitters and conceded a goal because the defense did their best Liverpool impression. Instant karma too after the Smalling dive. Simply not good enough today.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:15 AM   #1520
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Newcastle with a great effort. Manchester United was lazy crap. What the heck has happened to Pogba? Just going through the motions. Valencia looks tired out. Ditto Young. Why wasn't Shaw in the lineup?

They look like they don't give a crap. I guess only Champions League can get them back to caring about results.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote